Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

bigpink wrote: »
    sleepyman wrote: »
    I'd love to see the site/car park that's across from the Icon developed.I always think it's such a waste not to develop that site into a mixed residential/commercial unit.Hopefully some of the sites earmarked for Limerick 2030 will see some activity this year also.Seems to be a lot of talk but little action on that front.
    That horrible Dunnes Stores brown building needs to go but someone said here that they still own the site.

Belongs to dealz its a car park and used for deliverys
    I think he means the one beside the printmakers and Angel lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How that plot of land escaped the Celtic Tiger amazes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

source wrote: »
    I think he means the one beside the printmakers and Angel lane.

That building the printmakers is in would be great if they refurbished it.it's a waste using it as a car park.Also I think Cruises St could do with being replaced.I've never been a big fan of it but it just looks horribly dated

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's absolutely pointless comparing a medieval city like Limerick to American cities of which the majority were only established in the last 150 years or so. They haven't been through the same evolutionary process that European urban centres have. In fairness most European cities preserve and respect their historic cores and only designate specific areas as highrise zones. Which is a sensible policy

There are loads of brownfield sites in Limerick that are suitable for high density and high rise development. The Cleeves site, the docklands, Colbert Station area, Watergate, former Greenpark racecourse and the large large vacant landbank between the Park Canal and the Corbally link road. Lets concentrate on regenerating and redeveloping these sites in to vibrant urban quarters. Yes there are sites in the core city centre area that require redevelopment. The former Smyths warehouse on Henry Street for instance could certainly accommodate a 5 or 6 storey office building. But not a 20 floor tower which would look ludicrous in the midst of a Georgian grid street pattern.

We absolutely should be encouraging high rise and hight density development in Limerick but context is important as is location.

GN4_DAT_7286639.jpg--broad_welcome_for_proposed__40m_riverside_development_in_limerick.jpg

The Hanging Gardens is across the street from the current Riverpoint high rise and the proposed Rudi Butler 15 storey high rise. You can see it on the Riverside and it forms part of the Riverside skyline, as you can see in the picture above. It'd hardly be a one off high rise in the middle of nowhere and would in fact contribute to an appropriate high rise zone. There is no reason why the hanging gardens can't be another 4 to 6 storeys high. Apart from money of course, seeing as it's a council project.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Townie_P wrote: »
    GN4_DAT_7286639.jpg--broad_welcome_for_proposed__40m_riverside_development_in_limerick.jpg

The Hanging Gardens is across the street from the current Riverpoint high rise and the proposed Rudi Butler 15 storey high rise. You can see it on the Riverside and it forms part of the Riverside skyline, as you can see in the picture above. It'd hardly be a one off high rise in the middle of nowhere and would in fact contribute to an appropriate high rise zone. There is no reason why the hanging gardens can't be another 4 to 6 storeys high. Apart from money of course, seeing as it's a council project.
    Has work on the hanging gardens started?I know there was some restoration work going on but it just seems to keep getting reannounced!!

• Advertisement

Looks like the upgrade works on Parnell St and Davis St are about to start. https://t.co/OnUGx9GrFq
    18 weeks seems VERY optimistic though.

Whatever happened this? Little or no work done to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ClareMigrant

Builders in City East Plaza (Northern Trust) started to close off the car park today, ready to start Phase 4 one would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Looks like the upgrade works on Parnell St and Davis St are about to start. https://t.co/OnUGx9GrFq
    18 weeks seems VERY optimistic though.

They appear to have carried out some preliminary works, possibly utility diversions on Davis Street as the footpaths have been dug up and refilled with tarmac. I assume work will ramp up now that the holidays are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Plenty done on Davis street, there was a contractor replacing lead water pipes (as far as I know) and made a bags of the footpaths. Don't think it had anything to do with the actual renovation plan, unless it was a precursor of sorts. In any case, they'd want to resurface those paths fairly lively, it's a claaaaim waiting to happen.

roast wrote: »
    Plenty done on Davis street, there was a contractor replacing lead water pipes (as far as I know) and made a bags of the footpaths. Don't think it had anything to do with the actual renovation plan, unless it was a precursor of sorts. In any case, they'd want to resurface those paths fairly lively, it's a claaaaim waiting to happen.

Fair enough! I'm clearly not as observant as I used to be! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Working up on Davis Street. New pipes seem to have gone in and new electrical boxes also installed, i assume to push wiring underground. They finished up at the start of December and said they wouldn't be back till the new year.

The paths were put back disgracefully bad though. A little bit more time and effort rather than a rush would have left it much safer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Funnily enough this was put up today. https://t.co/T98nQjXTRe

Limerick City & County Council advise motorists
    and road users that major roadworks will operate
    on Parnell Street, Limerick adjacent to Boherbuoy
    Road and Davis Street between the periods 4th
    January 2017 and 10th February 2017

These roadworks involve road realignment and
    new footpaths being carried out on behalf of
    Limerick City & County Council

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Builders in City East Plaza (Northern Trust) started to close off the car park today, ready to start Phase 4 one would imagine!
    Phase 3 or Phase 4? Can't keep up with all these phases!

When will the road network development be done around there? (new link road to Golf Links Rd, Bloodmill Rd widening & left slip lane at roundabout)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Funnily enough this was put up today. https://t.co/T98nQjXTRe

Limerick City & County Council advise motorists
    and road users that major roadworks will operate
    on Parnell Street, Limerick adjacent to Boherbuoy
    Road and Davis Street between the periods 4th
    January 2017 and 10th February 2017

These roadworks involve road realignment and
    new footpaths being carried out on behalf of
    Limerick City & County Council

Where's Boherbuoy Road? I hope this doesnt affect traffic coming from Carey's rd heading in the direction of Mallow st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Mc Love wrote: »
    Where's Boherbuoy Road? I hope this doesnt affect traffic coming from Carey's rd heading in the direction of Mallow st.

It’s the section from the end of Edward street at the junction with Careys road to the start of Parnell street at Davis street.

Mc Love wrote: »

From the description it's the section of road in front of the Railway Hotel. Boherbuoy Rd is the section of road in front of the park between Edward St. and Parnell St. We'll find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It’s the section from the end of Edward street at the junction with Careys road to the start of Parnell street at Davis street.

Had a look on maps but couldnt see it mentioned, but yeah that shouldnt really affect traffic

From the description it's the section of road in front of the Railway Hotel. Boherbuoy Rd is the section of road in front of the park between Edward St. and Parnell St. We'll find out tomorrow.

I was driving past the Colbert station earlier and noticed that the taxis have been moved to the side of the new plaza from their usual position in front of the station. So it looks like the first part of the upgrade being done is the section opposite Davis street on this map.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ClareMigrant

marno21 wrote: »

When will the road network development be done around there? (new link road to Golf Links Rd, Bloodmill Rd widening & left slip lane at roundabout)?

Think it's Phase 4 - the new car park was just finished over the Christmas and they've closed off half of the existing one now for this latest development - no sign of new tenants though for the Phase 3 building (7 storey one). There was talk of AIG at one stage, but that rumor appears to have dwindled away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

marno21 wrote: »

The left slip lane at the Garryglass roundabout is to be built as a planning condition for phase 4 of City East Plaza. The link from the Golf Links Road to the Groody Road won't be completed until the land between Golf Links Road and the City East site is developed as housing.

• Advertisement

So the works on Parnell St are to put a new bus stop and cycle lane outside the station. The taxi drivers a complaining that they first they heard about the rank being moved was over Christmas. http://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/01/05/limerick-taxi-drivers-put-out-over-colbert-station-redevelopment/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter Even though the plan to move the taxi rank was in the plans published 2-3 years ago and they're only moving to the side of the new plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So the works on Parnell St are to put a new bus stop and cycle lane outside the station. The taxi drivers a complaining that they first they heard about the rank being moved was over Christmas. http://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/01/05/limerick-taxi-drivers-put-out-over-colbert-station-redevelopment/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter Even though the plan to move the taxi rank was in the plans published 2-3 years ago and they're only moving to the side of the new plaza.
    However, the taxi driver who contacted the Limerick Post said the drivers are not happy with the decision intended to “fully challenge the council”.

Hopefully the council tell them to shove it, youd swear that they are being banish from the area altogether the way they are complaining.

Can't see why they didn't move the rank across to Davis St outside the taxi depot that's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

It sounds like they were given plenty of notice, maybe they just forgot about it since it was almost two years ago when they were initially told at this stage.....they'd be better off complaining about the volume of taxi licenses rather than complaining about being 'moved down the road'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

C0MO19jWIAAem9m.jpg:large

€2.5 million redevelopment of Watergate Apartment Complex (Limerick Council)

Looks very smart, vast improvement. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

That actually looks nice. Big improvement as you say. Although isn't this the second upgrade the apartments have gotten in the past 20 years? Have to question the quality of buildings be they private or council that got built in Limerick in the early 2000's.

Are there any plans to complete the building across the street? I never knew what was planned for this site originally. Apartments, Commercial? The area would look much better if this could be finished.

IMG_4404_l.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was the Watergate flats not done up only last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

http://m.independent.ie/life/special-report-could-limerick-become-our-second-city-35345391.html very good article from the indo....I can't believe I just said that.

Are there any plans to complete the building across the street? I never knew what was planned for this site originally. Apartments, Commercial? The area would look much better if this could be finished.

The council got a court order forcing the owner to demolish it nearly 7 years ago. I've no idea why it didn't actually get demolished though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The council got a court order forcing the owner to demolish it nearly 7 years ago. I've no idea why it didn't actually get demolished though.

It is things like this that makes you want to give up in exasperation in this country :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

That actually looks nice. Big improvement as you say. Although isn't this the second upgrade the apartments have gotten in the past 20 years?
    bigpink wrote: »
    Was the Watergate flats not done up only last few years

10 years at most, which involved an internal upgrade as well.

Everybody was aghast with the tacky job done on its façade.

Luckily enough, today’s efficient energy requirements has forced the council to redo the façade of the building and it seems they have used an architect this time round.

100 dwellings, €2.5 million, that’s €25.000 per dwelling, I wonder will they ever recover the investment costs from the total energy savings?

There is a for sale sign to be seen on google’s street view (dated 2014).

The first plan (01770261) in 2001 was to construct a multistorey car park with 4 no. residential units at roof top level and 4 no. retail units at ground floor level with connection to public services and associated site works

Then the developer made an application (04770600) for RETENTION in 2005 and completion of a mixed use development comprising of 6 storeys over basement to maximum height of 23.7m above grade comprising 34 no. underground car park spaces, 5 no. ground floor retail units totalling 916.8 sq.m, 43 no. 2-bed apartments and 3 no. 3 bed apartments on first to fifth floors with associated balconies, roof garden and associated site development works.

The Limerick Leader wrote the following article on this eyesore dated 19 November 2007!

City Hall may target 'derelict' city site

PROPERTY developer Ger Madden has been warned Limerick City Council could acquire through compulsory purchase order a mixed scheme that has been left idle for three years.

Planner Ciaran Reeves said that while his department wasn't looking directly at the site adjacent to Watergate Flats, it was clear the developer and former Radio Limerick boss had "walked away from the site".

Former mayor Cllr Joe Leddin, Labour, has suggested the site could be registered as derelict. Once a site is put on that register, the Council can charge a levy of six per cent of the rate of valuation per annum in respect of a site that is deemed derelict.

Mr Reeves confirmed this was a possibility and "equally we could acquire the site through CPO".

The planner pointed out that when the city centre strategy was unveiled in draft form last week, it was made clear that a dim view would be taken of sites that were being left idle in the heart of the city.

Ger Madden received planning permission for a mixed development of apartments, retail and a car park at the Carr Street site a number of years ago but Cllr Leddin complained that "after initial work began over three years ago on the site, no further progress has been made".

A separate development by Mr Madden in the middle of Watergate Flats is nearing completion but Mr Reeves noted in respect of that scheme that one of the conditions for planning permission was that it be served by the car park at the unfinished Carr Street site.

"While that development has gone ahead, he has clearly walked away from the other one and it has not been completed in accordance with the permission granted," Mr Reev
    es said.

Cllr Leddin says he now wants action on the Carr Street site. "The structure is now effectively derelict and the whole site area is a total disgrace with discoloured hoardings falling down. It is not acceptable for residents of Watergate to have to endure this eyesore and the problems it is causing for their community simply because the developer has other plans," he claimed.

The site should now either be completed immediately or demolished and cleared, Cllr Leddin said.

He feared that children from Watergate and Sean Heuston Place could get up to mischief and access the site through the substandard hoardings.

"If Health & Safety went down there, they would shut it down," Cllr Leddin said, adding he would be bringing the matter to the attention of senior planners at the next meeting of the City Council. Ger Madden could not be contacted for a comment.

Advertisement