Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

An Taisce has appealed LIT's Coonagh Cross plans to An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Vanquished wrote: »
    An Taisce has appealed LIT's Coonagh Cross plans to An Bord Pleanala.

Isn't that their second time appealing LIT's Coonagh Cross plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Isn't that their second time appealing LIT's Coonagh Cross plans.

What is their gripe ? The place has been an eyesore for years ?

marienbad wrote: »
    What is their gripe ? The place has been an eyesore for years ?

It's not so much an appeal against the re-use of an empty facility. But more so an objection to the establishment of an education complex right on the very edge of the city. Isolated from the main campus and with poor public transport connections.

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's not so much an appeal against the re-use of an empty facility. But more so an objection to the establishment of an education complex right on the very edge of the city. Isolated from the main campus and with poor public transport connections.

Surely it is not that isolated from the main campus ? I presume it will connect with the Meelick road ?

Edit. what has any of that to do with An Taisce ? I thought their function was preservation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They are putting a road in between the back of Tesco and the old cratloe road. It will be a 3 minute drive from the main campus. A 5-10 minute cycle and about 15-20 minute walk. That's taking it very handy.

Jofspring wrote: »
    They are putting a road in between the back of Tesco and the old cratloe road. It will be a 3 minute drive from the main campus. A 5-10 minute cycle and about 15-20 minute walk. That's taking it very handy.

Yeah that is what I assumed , and busses galore .

marienbad wrote: »
    Yeah that is what I assumed , and busses galore .

Also the two main student accommodations out there are on the cratloe road and will be as near to Coonagh as the main campus. Probably closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

An Taisce sit around all day waiting for applications to come in so they can appeal them.

Unsurprisingly the proposed office and apartment development at Bishop’s Quay/Lower Cecil Street has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a resident of the Riverfront building on Howley’s Quay.

Brian Phelan claims that the windows on the Cecil Street elevation of the office block will either look directly in to his property or overlook it. “Becoming a profound invasion” of the privacy his home enjoys. He also claims that the new building is a “potential eysesore”

The case is not due to be decided until late May which means that construction isn’t likely to begin until July or August. That’s presuming that the initial approval is upheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Get some f**king blinds then, Brian.

High rise buildings overlooking each other in a city centre. What's the world coming to. They need to all be torn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I feel like I'm reading a post from 4 months ago, didn't this get conditional approval and work to begin in March?!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

dave 27 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm reading a post from 4 months ago, didn't this get conditional approval and work to begin in March?!

That's what I was thinking!!What a f***king joke that he can hold up development.I was looking forward to work starting in March.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dave 27 wrote: »

If you made a submission to the planning process, you've got 6 weeks to appeal the decision to APB if it doesn't go your way. That unfortunately is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote:
    He also claims that the new building is a “potential eysesoreâ€

He might be right here. It's certainly not the most creative of designs. That said, I don't think this is ABP's concern so I can't see his objection being upheld.

Surely he's not the only person appealing to ABP though? Quite a few objected at planning stage.

Yes. Anyone who lodged an objection/observation to the council during the planning process then has the option of appealing to ABP after the local authority has handed down a decision. In this case the council granted the application on December 20th and the closing date for objections to ABP is tomorrow (January 25th).

Obviously an independent planning appeals body is required. But there needs to be a more efficient and effective means of adjudicating on what would be considered less complex or frivolous objections. The standard turnover time of 4 to 6 months is too long.

Vanquished wrote:
    Obviously an independent planning appeals body is required. But there needs to be a more efficient and effective means of adjudicating on what would be considered less complex or frivolous objections. The standard turnover time of 4 to 6 months is too long.

The process would work a lot better if so much development wasn't developer-led. If there was a proper master plan for the city (Limerick 2030 is far from this) then developers and everybody else would be able to see how the city's future development has been set out and issues could be ironed out long before the formal planning process. It's about time the Council got their act together and put together a decent master plan for the city.

zulutango wrote: »
    The process would work a lot better if so much development wasn't developer-led. If there was a proper master plan for the city (Limerick 2030 is far from this) then developers and everybody else would be able to see how the city's future development has been set out and issues could be ironed out long before the formal planning process. It's about time the Council got their act together and put together a decent master plan for the city.

True. But that doesn't change the fact that the system is still at the mercy of those who submit dubious and frivolous appeals purely to frustrate the development process.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

According to the front page of the Limerick leader, the developer behind the Bishops Quay project is saying that the whole development is now in jeprody because of the appeals as he now cannot meet commitments to tenants to hand keys over in the time frame promised. Hopefully he is only bluffing but it's crazy that someone living in a high rise apartment block can object about his view and kill the whole development 😡

• Advertisement

There's three appeals being made to An Bord Pleanála, not just the one from the guy who thinks his privacy will be infringed.

I don't think that particular appeal will be upheld (not familiar with the other ones), but at the same time the developer's line is very questionable. Any developer should factor into his timeframe the possibility of appeals being made to An Bord Pleanála. At the end of the day we're talking about a major development for the city centre and it shouldn't be pushed through hastily. If the plan falls apart because of this 'delay' then it clearly wasn't much of a plan to begin with.

There's three appeals being made to An Bord Pleanála, not just the one from the guy who thinks his privacy will be infringed.

I don't think that particular appeal will be upheld (not familiar with the other ones), but at the same time the developer's line is very questionable. Any developer should factor into his timeframe the possibility of appeals being made to An Bord Pleanála. At the end of the day we're talking about a major development for the city centre and it shouldn't be pushed through hastily. If the plan falls apart because of this 'delay' then it clearly wasn't much of a plan to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

tommy249 wrote: »
    According to the front page of the Limerick leader, the developer behind the Bishops Quay project is saying that the whole development is now in jeprody because of the appeals as he now cannot meet commitments to tenants to hand keys over in the time frame promised. Hopefully he is only bluffing but it's crazy that someone living in a high rise apartment block can object about his view and kill the whole development 😡

Did they not do a similar story when it was first objected to?

Seriously the Leader and the Post are just brutal newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

There are 3 appeals . 2 from B Phelan and T Moloney are showing as valid but the third from the Irish Georgian Society is invalid. Why i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mart 23 wrote: »

There are 3 appeals . 2 from B Phelan and T Moloney are showing as valid but the third from the Irish Georgian Society is invalid. Why i dont know

B Phelan is the guy in the apartment and T Moloney is the owner of Squire McGuire's.

B Phelan is the guy in the apartment and T Moloney is the owner of Squire McGuire's.

One would think it's a great opportunity for Squire McGuire's.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

One would think it's a great opportunity for Squire McGuire's.

A great opportunity for a pay off....and then a great opportunity to improve business!!

planning notice up at Eamon Nicholas butcher in Annacotty Village, looking to change the use to an Apache Pizza...
    Planning ref number 17109

This is the Limerick Improvement Projects thread ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I noticed last night that the first section of new paving is down on Davis St. outside the railway hotel.

• Advertisement

I noticed last night that the first section of new paving is down on Davis St. outside the railway hotel.

And it's different to the original drawing that was shown. The path in the original was wide all the way up the left hand side with trees. Now it's wide at the bottom but narrows after about 20 feet. The path from the taxi rank up to the kebab shop is also slanted.

Advertisement