Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

The Gardens seeing as construction will (re)start the week after next and the Galway plans are still just plans. In fact I'd expect the 15 story building on Bishops Quay to be passed by ABP and under construction before anything even gets passed planning in Galway.

We've seen so many announcements about the gardens-hopefully it will actually commence in two weeks time.I see there has people collecting for the rowing club roof last week.Would be nice to see that rebuilt.Would really love if someone bought the Dunnes site and demolished that horrible brown building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Out of interest when is the decision due for the 15 story tower?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dave 27 wrote: »
    Out of interest when is the decision due for the 15 story tower?

Towards the end of May. I can't remember the exact date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

It Follows wrote:
    Plans have just been announced for a major €100 million office development in Galway city centre. It would be interesting to see which will get completed first, the Galway development or Gardens International offices...

Not sure why Galway is being mentioned as a yard stick for anything.
    Take their arthouse cinema nonsense for example..Or that monstrosity of a disaster in salthill, or the old Corrib hotel that is lying there empty for years. Or the absolute joke that is the Galway traffic.

There are plenty issues with planning and development in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Funny how any sort of office development in any city in Ireland now has something linked to the re housing from brexit, as if cities in this country can't prosper naturally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Would love to see the Council/Limerick 2030 get a compulsory purchase order for the Dunnes building on Sarsfield Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

It's good to see they are finally advertising upcoming events on the street light brackets in the city weeks in advance - Other cities do this regularly to promote festivals and events throughout the year & I always wondered why Limerick didn't do the same!Lots of posters on William st & Thomas st advertising River Fest May bank holiday weekend- I think they have them by the River front too.

Official confirmation that JJ Rhattigan has signed the contract for the Gardens International and will be on site from tomorrow. https://www.limerick.ie/business/whatsnew/2017-04-17-biggest-property-programme-outside-dublin-underway-as-contracts-for-first-limerick-twenty-thirty-project-signed

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Just looked at a few pics of the gardens building, is it not common sense that if you are building a roof top garden you would leave sunlight into it, the new buildings will block both south and west facing light

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

IDA have a planning application for a new three storey office building opposite Vistakon in the National Technology Park,

Planning ref 17295

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

IDA have a planning application for a new three storey office building opposite Vistakon in the National Technology Park,

Planning ref 17295

Yay! more traffic! wahooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

Planning ref 17295

Is that the same site where a HP factory was supposed to be built many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

dashoonage wrote: »
    Yay! more traffic! wahooooo!

I was thinking more along the lines of Yay! more jobs! A bit of positivity every once and a while on here would be no harm...

Official confirmation that JJ Rhattigan has signed the contract for the Gardens International and will be on site from tomorrow. https://www.limerick.ie/business/whatsnew/2017-04-17-biggest-property-programme-outside-dublin-underway-as-contracts-for-first-limerick-twenty-thirty-project-signed
    Anyone know do they have to demolish the shell of the office block that's there or will they incorporate it into the design like the Central Bank did with the Anglo building in Dublin?

sleepyman wrote: »
    Anyone know do they have to demolish the shell of the office block that's there or will they incorporate it into the design like the Central Bank did with the Anglo building in Dublin?

It's being incorporated AFAIK. The Thomond Office Supplies building is to be demolished and replaced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yep. It's being incorporated. The design is a good improvement on Robert Butler's plan from 2008. I think it'll be a great addition to the city. Terrible name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

It's being incorporated AFAIK. The Thomond Office Supplies building is to be demolished and replaced though.

Thomond Office Supplies was being demolished last night, saw them at it around 21:00.

mart 23 wrote: »
    There are 3 appeals . 2 from B Phelan and T Moloney are showing as valid but the third from the Irish Georgian Society is invalid. Why i dont know

Anyone know when the decision on these appeals will be made?I thought someone said it was May...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

source wrote: »
    Thomond Office Supplies was being demolished last night, saw them at it around 21:00.

Finally some tangible evidence of work actually getting underway.

sleepyman wrote: »
    Anyone know when the decision on these appeals will be made?I thought someone said it was May...

May 25th.

• Advertisement

If I were a developer, I'd be looking at the old Smyth's toy store and thinking that could be a very valuable site in time, given the large projects that are going on in that area.

Other viable sites around there are the AIB bank car park on Lower Cecil Street, and Estuary House and the Garda Station on Henry Street.

A good bit of work could be done to the public realm around there too and that would greatly enhance the potential of these sites. Footpaths are very narrow, there's no landscaping or street furniture, traffic is fast and hostile to pedestrians, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »
    If I were a developer, I'd be looking at the old Smyth's toy store and thinking that could be a very valuable site in time, given the large projects that are going on in that area.

Was that site not picked up a few years ago to be turned into a church for some born again Christian crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is the Smyths old toy store not belong to the Limerick Youth Service now? I know alright they use it for certain things.

Edit. Insect Overlord is right and was bought a couple of years ago for 460,000e by some evangelical church.

Not sure who owns it, but if it becomes valuable they may be happy to sell.

It's been around 3 years since permission was granted for a change to use. Nothing has happened and I was hoping the building might have changed hands again and that a wholesale redevelopment of the site may take place. Wishful thinking unfortunately. I saw a tender notice the other day from "The Irish Assemblies of God Limited" that a contractor was now on site.
    A good bit of work could be done to the public realm around there too and that would greatly enhance the potential of these sites. Footpaths are very narrow, there's no landscaping or street furniture, traffic is fast and hostile to pedestrians, etc.

I was very surprised to see that no footpath upgrade works are proposed as part of the Hanging Gardens project. It's an ideal opportunity to repave that section of Henry Street and indeed Lower Cecil Street, Glentworth Street and Post Office Lane. Unsurprising the public lighting around there is ugly and inadequate too!

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's been around 3 years since permission was granted for a change to use. Nothing has happened and I was hoping the building might have changed hands again and that a wholesale redevelopment of the site may take place. Wishful thinking unfortunately. I saw a tender notice the other day from "The Irish Assemblies of God Limited" that a contractor was now on site.

What is it with all these fundamentalist religious organisations moving to Limerick? No doubt they're American?? Anyway, hopefully they can be bought out at some point.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I was very surprised to see that no footpath upgrade works are proposed as part of the Hanging Gardens project. It's an ideal opportunity to repave that section of Henry Street and indeed Lower Cecil Street, Glentworth Street and Post Office Lane. Unsurprising the public lighting around there is ugly and inadequate too!

Lower Mallow Street too needs attention. The one way system has made it a dead street, property values have plummeted and the landlords have mostly entered long term contracts with the HSE who in turn have put some fairly rough folks into them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What is it with all these fundamentalist religious organisations moving to Limerick? No doubt they're American?? Anyway, hopefully they can be bought out at some point.

Some Irish, some American, plenty of African members, from what I can gather. They've been around for a while but this is to be their first decent permanent base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Has anyone seen the new footpaths outside the station, on Davis street and Parnell street. Barely down a few weeks and they are destroyed in rubbish and what looks like alcohol stains on all the new paving and chewing gum. People just have no respect for anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Thomond Office Supplies building is to be demolished . . . . .
    source wrote: »

Going, Going, Gone . . . :)

GN4_DAT_8287305.jpg--scope_of_limerick_twenty_thirty_s_work_may_now_be_extended.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Going, Going, Gone . . . :)

GN4_DAT_8287305.jpg--scope_of_limerick_twenty_thirty_s_work_may_now_be_extended.jpg

Thats a shame - that was a gorgeous building.

Advertisement