Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Parchment wrote: »
    Thats a shame - that was a gorgeous building.

It's disgraceful how our built heritage is treated! That was one of the finest 1980's office supply stores in Munster :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

zulutango wrote: »
    It's disgraceful how our built heritage is treated! That was one of the finest 1980's office supply stores in Munster :mad:

It was actually a gorgeous design. Maybe it was lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It was actually a gorgeous design. Maybe it was lost on you.

Always thought it looked well myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Thats a shame - that was a gorgeous building.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (Thomond Office Interiors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (Thomond Office Interiors)

Its a really 50's American style design with the inbuilt garage door. The front door to the shop was also great - the handle for the door went diagonally across the door.

Just because its not a huge castle or tudor house etc doesnt mean its not a beautiful design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The frontage to henry street looked OK just about, the dead blank wall facing the glen tavern does absolutely nothing for the streetscape. It looked like a shed. Certainly would not consider it beautiful in any shape or form, but eye of the beholder and all that.

Glad to see it gone myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That's a new one for me anyhow. A genuine expression of love for a single storey concrete warehouse with a corrugated sheeting roof. Might just about fit in on an industrial estate out the Ballysimon road! A complete waste of an important city centre site.

Looking forward to seeing the new building. Looks promising in the CGI anyway.

1-1024x765.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I genuinely hope the finished thing ends up looking better than that CGI interpretation.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I genuinely hope the finished thing ends up looking better than that CGI interpretation.

Do you have issues with the design or the CGI?

Vanquished wrote: »
    Do you have issues with the design or the CGI?

I don't have issues with the design, it's better than what was there. Just think the CGI photo portrays it as a bit bland in my view. Red brick effect and mirrored glass are very 1980s/1990s to me too though I understand it has to blend with some of the existing surrounding buildings. As I said I'll wait until it's built before offering final judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't have issues with the design, it's better than what was there. Just think the CGI photo portrays it as a bit bland in my view. Red brick effect and mirrored glass are very 1980s/1990s to me too though I understand it has to blend with some of the existing surrounding buildings. As I said I'll wait until it's built before offering final judgement.

To me it looks like a modern take on one of those narrow & tall mill/grain storage buildings. Maybe it's the dimensions. There was one a block down (Henry Cecil pub was in it) and there are still a few around town (couple near Smyths/Icon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

That CGI is terrible quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Jofspring wrote:
    Has anyone seen the new footpaths outside the station, on Davis street and Parnell street. Barely down a few weeks and they are destroyed in rubbish and what looks like alcohol stains on all the new paving and chewing gum. People just have no respect for anything at all.

Was around the city today and the litter everywhere is a complete disgrace. The market was absolutely filthy, during the market. Piles of rubbish everywhere particularly around the outside, from Smyth's to the milk market itself. Similarly cruises street and William Street. Couldn't believe how bad it was. Surely it can't be that difficult to have someone cleaning the place during the market...not to mention peoples own responsibility.
    Turns me off going into town. It's getting harder to justify going into the city centre. There seems to be less and less shops, just more empty units everywhere. It's not really improving at all..and with the filth everywhere it's just not a nice place to spend time. Seems a fair few things have closed recently too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The conversion of the former Clarion Suites into apartments has been referred to An Bord Pleanala. There's a disagreement about how many units should be reserved for social housing, if any. Don't know when a decision will be made.

Does anybody think the Hanging Gardens site deserves its own thread? It's quite a big project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Lol that was a kip of a place

A crane has been assembled at the gardens site today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

dave 27 wrote: »
    Any pictures?

My boss put one up on linkedin, I'll see if I can track it down.

Any pictures?

From earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

The ABP planning decision date for the LIT project at Coonagh has been changed from 22/05/17 to 18/06/17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Why has it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

Why has it changed?

I can only assume that the ABP people require more time to come to a decision.

Not sure if this is the result of issues specific to this case or whether it's due to a general backlog at An Bord Pleanala. The Bishop's Quay decision is due on Thursday. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Vanquished wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the result of issues specific to this case or whether it's due to a general backlog at An Bord Pleanala. The Bishop's Quay decision is due on Thursday. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed out further.

Yeah hoping it gets the go ahead.I didn't realise that some of the Georgian buildings on Catherine St had been restored(just read Nigel Dugdale's blog).There's a lot of buildings on Mallow St crying out for restoration also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Unfortunately the buildings on Mallow Street are less likely to be renovated because the street is a very busy thoroughfare. Who wants to live on a street which has such high volumes of noisy, polluting and loud through-traffic. The cars and trucks are sucking the life out of Mallow Street, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Got dropped in a leaflet today about all the road closers areound Davis St, and Parnell St. If it's your normal route into work then expect delays from June 6th around that area, Roaches Street, Mallow Street will all be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

sleepyman wrote: »
    Yeah hoping it gets the go ahead.I didn't realise that some of the Georgian buildings on Catherine St had been restored(just read Nigel Dugdale's blog).There's a lot of buildings on Mallow St crying out for restoration also.

Also the buildings on Mallow Street are all listed as protected structures the buildings recently renovated in Catherine street are not. Big difference in cost and time required

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

Goochy is visiting limerick at the weekend for the car show at racecourse, it will be my first visit to your fine city in about a year.
    I will let you guys know how I think things are coming along from a visitors point of view.
    Goochy tends to give very honest and well thought opinions. lol

• Advertisement

Mallow Street has for as long as I can remember has always been run down. And it's not all down to traffic as is being constantly portrayed on this forum. A good number of property owners have left their buildings run into the ground because they either cannot afford to renovate them on the cheap or it's just another address in their property portfolio. The street lighting on Mallow Street is also very poor which encouraged anti-social behaviour and the sex trade into the area. These are the problems that are sucking the life out of Mallow Street and Wickham Street is similar, poorly maintained property that in a lot of cases is left idle until they becomes derelict.

Advertisement