Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Vanquished wrote: »

And for the record the Cork metropolitan area isn’t 5 times larger than Limerick. It’s somewhere between 2.5 to 3 times bigger.

Census 2016: Cork city has a population of 125,657, Limerick has a population of 94,192. Only 1.3x larger. For metro area probably Cork is double. But not even 2.5 to 3x larger, never mind 5x!

Really need to look at the potential for the city and getting a move on with these projects is essential, there genuinely is scope to target approaching Cork's size/importance.

Maybe rather than just offices/commercial, the council could develop housing, funded by continuing the max domestic rate increase each year? I don't mean social housing, but top class apartments maybe at the Cleeve's site, for office workers/expected new workers at the office sites. Should trickle down to give breathing space on rents at the low end if supply is added. House sharing shouldn't be required for young single workers.

If central government, Cork and Galway don't do the same, we could really attract more business by being a more attractive location for workers and business alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Zoney wrote: »
    Census 2016: Cork city has a population of 125,657, Limerick has a population of 94,192. Only 1.3x larger. For metro area probably Cork is double. But not even 2.5 to 3x larger, never mind 5x!

The most recent figures for the Cork metro area show a population of just under 300,000. Hardly a metropolis though!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

It’s a valid point though to be fair. We’re fantastic at talking and eulogising  in Limerick but we seriously need to work on project delivery. We’ve been hearing ad-nauseum for years now about these incredible plans that will transform the city. Further little tidbits are released every so often then to try and sustain public interest. That’s all great but there has to come a time where you have to push on and actually build stuff. Especially while conditions are favourable. Who knows when the next downturn will hit! I’m not referring to the Bishop’s Quay office and apartment development. That has been horribly frustrated by an inefficient planning system. But more so the Council lead projects. The “opera centre” saga has been a complete debacle. It’s been 6 years in Council ownership and we haven’t even seen detailed plans or designs yet! Yes I believe a planning application is expected soon. But when exactly? And when will work actually get underway? I’m so sick of looking at that vast terrace of vacant buildings at one of the primary access points to the city centre!

Then there’s the “Arthur’s Quay Masterplan”. Where does this stand? Another prime opportunity to rejuvenate the city centre and provide much needed retail accommodation and public space. But again there appears to be little urgency to progress the project. What’s happing with the Cleeves site? Look at O’Connell Street then. It’s a year and a half since the latest attempt at remodeling the street was announced. Yet once again we haven’t even been provided with detailed proposals. The Council is faffing around, seemingly incapable of making a call on what form the new streetscape should take. Where also are the proposals to improve the other city centre streets like Catherine Street, Roches Street, Cecil Street, Patrick Street, Rutland Street etc etc? Upgrading these should be a priority as it would dramatically enhance the appearance of the city centre. But again ambition is lacking it seems!

And for the record the Cork metropolitan area isn’t 5 times larger than Limerick. It’s somewhere between 2.5 to 3 times bigger.

You've hit the nail on the head there.I can remember reading about O'Connell St pedestrianisation in 2001-still it's not done.4 years since Limerick 2030 was launched.Any real progress?If you count the hanging gardens.You just see announcement after announcement with no real progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The most recent figures for the Cork metro area show a population of just under 300,000. Hardly a metropolis though!

Cork Metro is not a metro in the true sense of the word, it's certainly not a continuous conurbation. There is clear open countryside between the urban area and most of the constituent towns that are used to define Metropolitan Cork, Ballincolllug being the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Fora are reporting that detailed plans for the opera centre are to be released in the next few weeks, link on the main fora website (i can't post the link)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

mdmix wrote: »
    Fora are reporting that detailed plans for the opera centre are to be released in the next few weeks, link on the main fora website (i can't post the link)
    Here's the link: https://fora.ie/limerick-opera-centre-3433203-Jun2017/

Has something happened with the forum software or permissions or somethg? Links I post aren't clickable any more, and I can't find a guide to the link syntax.

Duplicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Has something happened with the forum software or permissions or somethg? Links I post aren't clickable any more, and I can't find a guide to the link syntax.

Working fine
    https://fora.ie/limerick-opera-centre-3433203-Jun2017/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

rebs23 wrote: »
    Great plans and very welcome. I presume funding will be secured from EIB/ISIF/NTMA who are all obliged to seek a commercial return on any loans/investment.
    Where there is a client for a building like the Revenue for the Opera Centre, this shouldn't be a problem.
    I presume with a Council controlled SPV it will be the Council that will be ultimately responsible for the debts/loans secured for these massive developments?
    ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

any news on Lits's plans at Coonagh x ?, was in limerick recently and it recently is an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

goochy wrote: »
    any news on Lits's plans at Coonagh x ?, was in limerick recently and it recently is an eyesore.
    TLI ran fibre in there last week, so hopefully it will be cleared by An Bord Pleanála.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

There's a proposal to build a large Obama Plaza-style service station at Coonagh before the council at the moment. The developer is pushing it as a landmark development at the northern gateway to the city. God help us if a petrol station can be viewed as a landmark building in the city.

pigtown wrote: »
    There's a proposal to build a large Obama Plaza-style service station at Coonagh before the council at the moment. The developer is pushing it as a landmark development at the northern gateway to the city. God help us if a petrol station can be viewed as a landmark building in the city.

do you have a link on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

mdmix wrote: »
    do you have a link on this?

Here's the planning application:
    http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/16751/0

"the demolition of all structures associated with the existing "Applegreen" filling station (including 2 no. buildings measuring combined area of 129sq.m) and provision of a replacement filling station on a larger site (0.457 hectares, increase of 0.27 hectares on existing 0.19 hectares)."

GAL00001475.JPG

seems an odd location as its directly across from a tesco filling station and on the way out of limerick. plenty of other places to stop for fuel or a bite to eat before you get to it, and considering a lot of long distance travellers will use the tunnel altogether.. maybe they will do well with students once LIT start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

Anything's better than eyesore at present

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

goochy wrote: »
    Anything's better than eyesore at present

It won't be on the Coonagh Cross site. The plan is to knock the existing Applegreen and rebuild one like the Birdhill Motorway Service Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't the Applegreen only redeveloped a few years back? Either way it seems a ridiculous proposal imo, would be more suitable further out on the N18/M18 which has no service stations on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII are pressing ahead with an online motorway service area on the M18 near Newmarket on Fergus, which should be open in early 2019.

www.t4msa.ie/

It won't be on the Coonagh Cross site. The plan is to knock the existing Applegreen and rebuild one like the Birdhill Motorway Service Station.

My mistake. It turns out this is a separate development. However, Applegreen did apply for permission last year to knock their premises and rebuild one with a Subway, Costa and Burger King. They must have changed their mind or been refused PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Quite a lot of activity on the #liveablelimerick hashtag on twitter in the last day or so. John Moran arguing strongly for a radical transformation of O'Connell Street.

https://twitter.com/limerickcitybiz/status/875258028404199424

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My mistake. It turns out this is a separate development. However, Applegreen did apply for permission last year to knock their premises and rebuild one with a Subway, Costa and Burger King. They must have changed their mind or been refused PP.

The redevelopment of the Applegreen at Coonagh is the planning link that OfTheMarsWongs posted.

The redevelopment of the Applegreen at Coonagh is the planning link that OfTheMarsWongs posted.

The leader says this development has received objections from Petrograd aka Applegreen. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/255300/barack-obama-style-plaza-for-limerick-with-50-full-time-jobs-seeks-planning.html

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

They got permission. http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/16751/0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wasn't there talk of a service station that was to be built further out by Ennis or Gort? Wouldn't be surprised to see a Topaz pop up further out to try and snatch most of the business that will be traveling South on the m18.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Topaz have been sold to another fuel retailer who currently don't operate in the ROI. All the Topaz service stations here will soon be rebranded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

These are two separate developments but are located very close together. The Applegreen redevelopment is just after the Coonagh roundabout outbound. With the new proposal 200 metres further down the road on a vacant site beside the Clondrinagh roundabout.

Advertisement