Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Still ridiculous having a cluster of fuel stations so close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

A good few filling stations have opened up in the last two years. Mostly on sites that were earmarked for redevelopment but failed due to the crash.

There's an application in for a new Texaco service station at the Parkway roundabout on the site of a former Texaco station that closed and was demolished about 10 or 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That used to be the Dillon's site. Always a bad spot for getting in and out of unless you went down the old Dublin road and came out at Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

They did try though! After the new road opened in 2002, they suffered so they opened an entrance from the back of their shop. Didn't work and it ended up closing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Such a pity John Moran is not running the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

kilburn wrote: »
    Such a pity John Moran is not running the city

And what would John Moran do differently?

He has a bit of vision, imagination and most importantly a business brain

He has a bit of vision, imagination and most importantly a business brain

And? Tell me why he should run the city without reverting to cliches.
    He didnt seem to have much imagination or vision when he was an austerity advocate.
    He's just a sensationalist looking for headlines with ridiculous statements such as Limerick should be second city, forget the M20 link with Waterford instead, all utter nonsense.

Ah for God sake typical of this forum

Ah for God sake typical of this forum

More sweeping statements.

• Advertisement

Yep that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And? Tell me why he should run the city without reverting to cliches.
    He didnt seem to have much imagination or vision when he was an austerity advocate.
    He's just a sensationalist looking for headlines with ridiculous statements such as Limerick should be second city, forget the M20 link with Waterford instead, all utter nonsense.

Jesus mate don't take it so personal.

What Moran was advocating was the need for state capital investment in at least one regional city.

As the 4 regional cities are quiet small, to achieve rapid growth is impossible without State investment, an increase in size of 20% in any regional city will only put a small dent in the imbalance...

Ireland has been developed in a very lob sided inefficient manner, it is utterly dependent on the Dublin economy because its size, which is not sustainable in the long term.

Moran, being from Limerick, advocated Limerick, he pointed to a number of legitimate factors in doing so.

Your problem is that it wasn't Cork, nothing he said could be described as ridiculous or sensationalist. There was or is nothing stopping someone from Cork lobbying for the same...

We all know it would never happen...we are just too parochial and you have clearly demonstrated the attitude that stops us creating well balanced economic/population spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Even aside from his corporate banking past, the fawning over him by The Limerick Leader and other elements of Limerick twitter cliques is nauseating. He was also part of Limerick 2020 failed bid team. I would despair if someone like him was running this city!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

goochy wrote: »
    Anything's better than eyesore at present
    From the Two Mile inn to the Coonagh roundabout is a disgrace, I'm embarrassed that tourists get this stretch as a first impression of Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

.we are just too parochial and you have clearly demonstrated the attitude that stops us creating well balanced economic/population spread.
    John Moran is a pretty good example of parochialism in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

rebs23 wrote: »
    John Moran is a pretty good example of parochialism in the extreme.

From reading some of your posts on the Cork forum i think you have that problem as well .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jose Maria wrote: »
    From the Two Mile inn to the Coonagh roundabout is a disgrace, I'm embarrassed that tourists get this stretch as a first impression of Limerick

The stretch from the Two Mile Inn to the Clondrinagh Roundabout is in Clare. Not much Limerick council can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

The stretch from the Two Mile Inn to the Clondrinagh Roundabout is in Clare. Not much Limerick council can do about that.
    Why not? they could cut the grass and hedging, do a bit of landscaping and get the boundary of the Coonagh cross shopping center cleaned up, I work in Shannon and travel in and out every day you can see there is a difference between the maintenance being carried out on the Limerick and Clare sides, so would that not be 2 different councils?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

mart 23 wrote: »
    From reading some of your posts on the Cork forum i think you have that problem as well .
    Ah well at least I wouldn't deny it eventhough the experts in parochialism tend to be from the East coast.

ABP have made a Proposed Decision regarding the LIT Coonagh project. It appears this means that any of the parties can object to the decision within a certain time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Why not? they could cut the grass and hedging, do a bit of landscaping and get the boundary of the Coonagh cross shopping center cleaned up, I work in Shannon and travel in and out every day you can see there is a difference between the maintenance being carried out on the Limerick and Clare sides, so would that not be 2 different councils?

You mentioned that the whole section between the Two Mile Inn and the Coonagh roundabout is a disgrace and that Limerick council should do something about. I simply pointed out that half this road is in a different county and there was little Limerick council could do about that section. I have no idea what you're on about now.

Your problem is that it wasn't Cork, nothing he said could be described as ridiculous or sensationalist. There was or is nothing stopping someone from Cork lobbying for the same/quote]

Incorrect, I have no problem with either Cork or Limerick counterbalancing Dublin. While Limerick would appear to be better located, Cork does have more of a critical mass to build on in terms of population and economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    Even aside from his corporate banking past, the fawning over him by The Limerick Leader and other elements of Limerick twitter cliques is nauseating. He was also part of Limerick 2020 failed bid team. I would despair if someone like him was running this city!

Which ideas of his do you disagree with?

Is he not credited with saving the country billions when he led the team that renegotiated the IMF bailout terms?

Didn't realise he was on the 2020 bid team. Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

If we didn't accept austerity we would be like the greeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

ABP have made a decision on Bishops Quay. It will be known on or after 22nd june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Good news - it got the go ahead! As well as an 11 storey in Dublin, and a 10 storey :D

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/256197/breaking-game-changer-for-limerick-as-40m-riverside-plan-gets-go-ahead.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Common sense has prevailed. No reduction in height or overly inhibitive conditions. Win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Anyone know what's happening on Cecil St, passed up earlier today and the building between Flannerys and the Georgian buildings was knocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Anyone know what's happening on Cecil St, passed up earlier today and the building between Flannerys and the Georgian buildings was knocked.

Flannery's have a big music venue planned

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/213963/jerry-flannery-s-limerick-city-pub-gets-expansion-go-ahead.html

Advertisement