Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Anyone know what's happening on Cecil St, passed up earlier today and the building between Flannerys and the Georgian buildings was knocked.

If its the Warehouse across from the Theatre Royal, I think Flannerys were supposed to be opening a live music venue there. could be wrong but heard that last year. (edit : see post above)

Great news about the bishops Quay development. Pity it will be another 6 months before they go on site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Anyone know what's happening on Cecil St, passed up earlier today and the building between Flannerys and the Georgian buildings was knocked.

It's Flannery's new late bar and music venue. Demolition of the frontage wasn't part of the planning permission though. They're possibly going to rebuild and set it back further than the original building line which protruded out on to street.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Isn't Flannery's expanding into the warehouse there?

Or is it the next unit up that was knocked?

Edit: woops, missed a few replies. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Good news - it got the go ahead! As well as an 11 storey in Dublin, and a 10 storey :D

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/256197/breaking-game-changer-for-limerick-as-40m-riverside-plan-gets-go-ahead.html

The really important thing is that it's designed well. If it's not, it might not be suitable for businesses and could end up being a white elephant.

Here's a few snips from the planning drawings. There's two big restaurant / cafe units planned for the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The top floor of the apartment building that was to accommodate the penthouse and gym was omitted in the response to the councils further information request. Seemingly to protect views of the rear of the old bishop's palace despite this portion of the structure not being recognised as overly significant. The applicant probably felt this concession was worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

FWIW, I think it looks good. Okay, so it's not going to be a Pritzker prize winning piece of work, but I think it will fit in well with Limerick skyline along the waterfront. Any development such as this can only be seen as positive, with more jobs and, hopefully, more people looking to live in the city centre resulting from it

FWIW, I think it looks good. Okay, so it's not going to be a Pritzker prize winning piece of work, but I think it will fit in well with Limerick skyline along the waterfront. Any development such as this can only be seen as positive, with more jobs and, hopefully, more people looking to live in the city centre resulting from it

When I say designed well, I don't mean the aesthetics, although of course these too are important. It has to meet the needs of the potential tenants. And it is possible to get this spectacularly wrong. In this case, I don't think that will happen because a reputable firm like Healy & Partners are the lead designer. Not suure wht high rise stuff they've been involved in in the past though.

The Garda station site should be the next target now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Good news - it got the go ahead! As well as an 11 storey in Dublin, and a 10 storey :D

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/256197/breaking-game-changer-for-limerick-as-40m-riverside-plan-gets-go-ahead.html

The proposal – spearheaded by developer Rudi Butler – will see some 150,000 square feet of office space, 42 luxury apartments and limited commercial space, including new cafes and a restaurant.

Speaking to the Limerick Leader, Mr Butler said: “A lot of work has gone into this by a lot of people from the design team to the planners. It will still take about six months before we get on site.”

I thought that they were ready to start last January if the planning went smooth back then. I suppose a January 2018 start now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is an interesting condition to the planning permission. I know there were some on here who didn't like the red brick sections.

The external brick finishes of the proposed office block tower shall be
    omitted, and shall be replaced, on the elevation facing Bishop’s Quay
    by a glazed finish similar to that proposed for the upper floors on this
    elevation, and by a cut stone or similar finish to the other elevations.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/247888.htm

6773fe_d4864f0212f34d6180cc56001a3dc723~mv2_d_4120_2058_s_2.jpg

a new City skyLinE (Healy Partners)

6773fe_28a59159561a4868b38d2bc5b10ca6a0~mv2_d_6713_2784_s_4_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The appeals body has also ordered that any food outlet put on site will only be allowed for use as a sit down restaurant.

Looks like the traditional Limerick kebab won't be served from this new development for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Do you think it's a big enough project that it should have its own thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

That second render looks very impressive! I strongly believe that the Clarion Hotel should be knocked down and rebuilt (either taller or the same height). It is so poorly designed, from the shape to the colours.

Clarion Hotel (or Clayton as it's now known), is quite an eyesore. It really protrudes out into the river and ruins the view to the west from the city. The only solutions are to knock it, which isn't realistic, or to build similarly tall buildings around it, and that wouldn't be too bad a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I quite like the Clarion. It's not your typical glass box and the way it sits in the river helps to block the view of that scrap pile at the docks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

In this case, I don't think a glass box is a bad thing. It looks like the top of a highlighter pen or something

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Isn't the Clarion/Clayton suppose to be the shape of a steam boat funnel? The block across from it, the part facing the skate park is in the shape of a steamboat.

Isn't the Clarion/Clayton suppose to be the shape of a steam boat funnel? The block across from it, the part facing the skate park is in the shape of a steamboat.

Isn't the Clarion/Clayton supposed to be the shape of a steam boat funnel? The block across from it, the part facing the skate park is in the shape of a steamboat.

Nope. It's supposed to be a rugby ball. It was originally supposed to have a glass facade but the cost was too high so that idea was scrapped. It'd have been more like Riverpoint. For what it's worth I don't think it's an eyesore necessarily because of its design. It's mostly due to its location and the fact that it's out on its own, practically in the river. It should never have been built there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I disagree with that, it's the start of the skyline as you pass the docks, stating your in a city to those who enter from that side, you need a bit of density there and down the line might pave way for similar density around it where the ugly flats are, it actually opens up the area for potential

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

zulutango wrote: »
    Nope. It's supposed to be a rugby ball. It was originally supposed to have a glass facade but the cost was too high so that idea was scrapped. It'd have been more like Riverpoint. For what it's worth I don't think it's an eyesore necessarily because of its design. It's mostly due to its location and the fact that it's out on its own, practically in the river. It should never have been built there.

You are wrong there. It is definitely designed to look like the funnel of a ship. Per the GM of the hotel in the article below, the rugby design is an incorrect story. It doesn't even look like a rugby ball!

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-overnight-1.618921

tommy249 wrote:
    You are wrong there. It is definitely designed to look like the funnel of a ship. Per the GM of the hotel in the article below, the rugby design is an incorrect story. It doesn't even look like a rugby ball!

Thanks for the article. I had thought Hugh Murray of Murray O'Laoire architects, who designed it, said the inspiration was a rugby ball. It's possible I'm misremembering. The point about the glass facade did come from him for sure.

tommy249 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-overnight-1.618921

hotel12b.jpg

I too recall the 16 storey hotel being described as a “rugby ball shape” building when it was presented to the public by the developer Pat Whelan.

Pat Whelan is a former manager of the Irish rugby team. ;)

Pity that the Murray O’Laoire web site has disappeared, with all their architectural projects.

The Irish Times had also described the hotel as boat-like in shape, and the "bow" of the building will jut into the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Lads it's a cigarette lighter.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Seems the residential element has been abandoned, which is a big mistake, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There is a 3D animation of the proposed development. It looks good at first glance. The plans haven't been posted on the council website yet. I'll reserve judgment till I see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

zulutango wrote: »
    Seems the residential element has been abandoned, which is a big mistake, imo.
    They haven't mentioned anything about the residential element yet. Let's not jump to conclusions before the full details are released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Any copy of the actual application? Should mention residential elements if they exist...

Advertisement