Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The opera + riverside = Limerick becoming a nice little high rise friendly city. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Thanks for the notification. Appears truly great. could be Limerick's big breakthrough. fingers crossed. well done to all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Looks a lot better than I thought it would,

However in true Limerick fashion...

probably 12 months or more for planning ( no doubt someone will be giving out about loss of light or something)
    and then another few years for the council to talk about it, public consultations and all the other waffle they make a career out of etc..
    Probably another year or two to get on site,. ( they're saying 2018, maybe)
    The next crash may come first

cynical moi? non..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

vkid wrote: »

probably 12 months or more for planning ( no doubt someone will be giving out about loss of light or something)
    and then another few years for the council to talk about it, public consultations and all the other waffle they make a career out of etc..

cynical moi? non..

Only thing is that the council aren't in charge of this (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Didn't they hand over the responsibility to Limerck 2030, specifically to fast track the development of various sites across the city, and avoid the usual delays associated with council projects.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vkid wrote: »

cynical moi? non..

The part 8 planning process starts on Friday.
    A public consultation process with regard to the plans will commence on 30th July and run until August 25th, with the planning notice on display until August 11th. It is hoped to commence work in 2018, with a five to six year programme to complete the project.

PART 8 PROCESS https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/housing/social-housing/construction-local-authority-housing

Where a project is being progressed by the Local Authority planning permission is applied for under Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2013.

Public consultation is an intrinsic part of the 'Part 8' process - detailed as follows.

A site notice at the location in question and a newspaper advertisement.

Plans and particulars are put on public display for 6 weeks.

A further 2 weeks are allowed for submissions.

Following receipt of submissions, the Chief Executive prepares a report recommending whether or not the proposal should proceed.

A Part 8 report is then sent to the Planning and Economic Development Department.

The Planning and Economic Development Department must issue a decision on the application within 2 weeks.

A Part 8 report is then brought to Area Committee to agree the proposal at local level.

The Chief Executive then issues approval for Part 8 development.

Limerick City & County Council must issue a decision on the Part 8 development application within 6 weeks of Chief Executive approval of the Part 8 application.

Note: Under Part 8 there is no appeal process to An Bord Pleanala

The planning application must be passed by the full Council.

• Advertisement

when I was in Waterford recently they had an announcement of a 500 million development to be funded by a Middle Eastern Fund. In the present climate with money flooding in from Central Banks etc - I know , it hasn't trickled down to us- there is every prospect that it could be funded from an international source. it's the sheer size of the proposed development that makes me think that

Glenomra wrote: »
    when I was in Waterford recently they had an announcement of a 500 million development to be funded by a Middle Eastern Fund. In the present climate with money flooding in from Central Banks etc - I know , it hasn't trickled down to us- there is every prospect that it could be funded from an international source. it's the sheer size of the proposed development that makes me think that

AFAIK the council won't actually be building this. A tender went out to interested parties to build and run the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd be concerned that it's too big. Last thing we want is a massive white elephant office development.

The lack of a residential aspect could make it an awful dead space after 6pm too. Mixed office and residential along the lines of Grand Canal Dock in Dublin would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I thought the council had bought up this space and developing it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

35424852492_f0a5cdeacb_b.jpg

35424852472_bc27d4a047_b.jpg

35424852452_6d2c63dc1c_b.jpg

35424852432_a97821be2f_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I'm pleasantly surprised. It will be great to see life back in this section of the city.

Mods, can this get its own thread? I can see it becoming a huge project and scrolling through this one to find information about it can be tricky

Just start a 'Project Opera' thread?

In my opinion the project needs to be huge. Limerick city centre has to make a strong statement. Currently all visitors see directly across from the hunt museum is delapidation. This project has the potential to transform the city and eliminate much of the negativity that goes with it. I am saying that as a Clareman; limerick is my city and I think people should row in behind this project. Emphasise the positive. A few locals that I spoke to this evening were repeating the same mantra, that you will see no development in limerick, even though the city is changing in front of their eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Opera development is set to take ~5 years from 2018 then? Anyone know what sort of ballpark timelines bishop's quay and the gardens project have?

keane2097 wrote: »
    The Opera development is set to take ~5 years from 2018 then? Anyone know what sort of ballpark timelines bishop's quay and the gardens project have?

The Gardens project is due to be finished this time next year. No idea on Bishops Quay, but the developer said they'd be onsite in 6 months. I'd assume around a two year build.

zulutango wrote: »
    Just start a 'Project Opera' thread?

It would be handier is a mod did it and moved all the relevant posts into it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Surely the granary is to be refurbished as well. If so what's to happen to it? Couldn't see anything about it.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Surely the granary is to be refurbished as well. If so what's to happen to it? Couldn't see anything about it.

Could possibly be converted to nice apartments, similar to the old mill on Shannon Street (where Arabica Coffee is at street level).

There are about 150 employees currently working in the top floor of the Granary, recently recruited for HAP, a Housing agency for local authorities. again, this shows the potential of city centre office space

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The stone building part would make great apartments if someone was to convert them. They'd wanna pull down the library part of it and rebuild it especially the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Spudmonkey wrote: »

Its a protected structure and its stated that it will be refurbished and used as a cultural center. What exactly that will be I don't know. Fantastic looking project mixing offices, retail, cultural center and probably coffee shop and a bar. It would be a great boost for that part of town as there are some lovely pubs and restaurants directly opposite the canal side of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Let's hope no damage is done to the Georgian(?) buildings during construction. Like the time the Henry Cecil collapsed of it's 'own' accord.

I don't believe that the Granary is included in these plan. The cultural centre is to be based in the old Town Hall building in Rutland Street

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Let's hope no damage is done to the Georgian(?) buildings during construction. Like the time the Henry Cecil collapsed of it's 'own' accord.

Agreed, I say the Georgian society will be watching this like a hawk though so I doubt they take risks on such a costly and high profile development. Interestingly it seems like all but one of the Georgian buildings will remain fully intact and hopefully refurbished. The original plan was to just keep the façades. Thankfully that seems to have been dropped. Now that this is prime real estate hopefully they will get some TLC and high end Tennant's in there. Ironically it might be the opera development that saves them from total disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Glenomra wrote: »
    I don't believe that the Granary is included in these plan. The cultural centre is to be based in the old Town Hall building in Rutland Street

There is no mention of it but it is included as part of the outline and the mock up seems to have it too. I would imagine it's a protected structure and would have to be kept. It's beautiful stone work so I'd hope they'd have something nice planned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Going by the picture it looks like the god awful fountion will be demolished. A nice little restaurant or cafe where the bar is below the granary should clean up once this is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The last thing that the people of Limerick need is an awful sculpture of Terry Wogan that looks nothing like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Mutant z wrote: »
    The last thing that the people of Limerick need is an awful sculpture of Terry Wogan that looks nothing like him.

This sculpture is not for the people of Limerick it's for tourists. It's so when people come to Limerick they can see a sculpture take a picture with it and read a plaque. Yes it would be nice if the sculpture was a perfect representation of the people it is supposed to be but in the long run that doesn't really matter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Smarter Travel improvements in Ballysimon:

* Old Ballysimon Road from its beginning to the Golf Links Road junction
    * Garryglass Road (link road between the old Ballysimon Road and the Northern Trust roundabout) along its entire length.

Gone to tender: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=115449&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Much better use of money would be sorting out the O'Sheas end of the Golf Links Road tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Resurfacing and minor improvements between M7 J28 at Finnegans and the Cappamore Road junction: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=115457

Advertisement