Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

marno21 wrote: »
    Smarter Travel improvements in Ballysimon:

* Old Ballysimon Road from its beginning to the Golf Links Road junction
    * Garryglass Road (link road between the old Ballysimon Road and the Northern Trust roundabout) along its entire length.

Gone to tender: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=115449&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Much better use of money would be sorting out the O'Sheas end of the Golf Links Road tbh.

It would cost significantly more than the value of this contract to sort out the two pinch points between the R527 overbridge and O'Sheas pub.

The council appears to be waiting for development contributions to help fund this and the Towlerton link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

LIT project at Coonagh has been decided by ABP but I dont know what is the decison as its not available on the site at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

mart 23 wrote: »
    LIT project at Coonagh has been decided by ABP but I dont know what is the decison as its not available on the site at the moment .

Permission granted

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/259431/limerick-it-secures-permission-for-14m-campus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Glenomra wrote: »
    I don't believe that the Granary is included in these plan. The cultural centre is to be based in the old Town Hall building in Rutland Street

Well that's great news, isn't it? A Cultural Centre in the Town Hall, and a Diaspora Centre in the old Cleeves buildings, and 2030 and the way she might look at you...

Billins and billins spent appropriating sites for vanity projects, and nothing done. Still no incentive to new retail in the city centre or for new, affordable, quality housing.

Sigh.....

g

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

godfrey wrote: »
    Well that's great news, isn't it? A Cultural Centre in the Town Hall, and a Diaspora Centre in the old Cleeves buildings, and 2030 and the way she might look at you...

Billins and billins spent appropriating sites for vanity projects, and nothing done. Still no incentive to new retail in the city centre or for new, affordable, quality housing.

Sigh.....

g

Well 'billins' as you put it hasn't been spent. In fact I doubt spending is much more than €50m. And I hardly call badly needed office space in the under construction Gardens International and the Opera site vanty projects.

As for the diaspora center, that was a government funded plan that the council wanted to bid to be located in Limerick and it was meant to be on the Dunnes Sarsfield St site, not Cleeves. However the government canned the idea in early 2015.

There has actually been no plans submitted that I am aware of for the Cleeves site, but it is next on the agenda now that the Opera plans have been revealed.

You have a point on the housing issue, but you should really check your facts before running off on a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

The part 8 application for the opera site has been withdrawn according to the LCC planning site

mart 23 wrote: »
    The part 8 application for the opera site has been withdrawn according to the LCC planning site

It hasn't. It's been resubmitted under file 178008. http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/178008/0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Any idea what the changes are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OliverTuist

Hi all, I'm trying to decide what bit of the city would be more interesting to move in (from Scotland).
    Could I ask what are the areas where the
    Gardens International and the Opera site projects are planned into?

Approx Eircodes, or streets would be grand. Names of neighborhoods not so much...
    Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Both are very central - Limerick city centre is geographically small - OPera Centre is centered in area bound by Michael Street, Ellen Street, Patrick Street and Bank Place ( the entire block within this ) , while the Hanging Gardens is bounded roughly by Henry Street, Lower Cecil, Lower Glentworth, and Post Ofice lane. Hanging Gardens site will be finished long before Opera Centre, by late 2018-19. Some doubt ( & cynicism) here as to a completion date for the Opera Site. Optimistically 2021.

• Advertisement

topcat72 wrote: »
    Some doubt ( & cynicism) here as to a completion date for the Opera Site. Optimistically 2021.

Not a hope of a 2021 finish. It has a 4-5 year build schedule, so 2022/23 if the get on-site in 2018, but probably later.

The Savoy hotel has a planning notice in the Leader detailing an expansion into the mill building next door.
    It includes replacing the apartments with 15 bedrooms, both ground-floor businesses with a hotel cafe, entrance, and separate cafe unit, and a four-floor 'glass box' extension on top of the building to house 20 bedrooms.

Pretty significant development, and it's by Kirkland Developments which own the Bishop's Quay project if I'm not mistaken.

It's a great confidence boost for Limerick but reducing the already limited city centre housing stock isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Noooo they cant get rid of Arrabica!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

pigtown wrote: »
    The Savoy hotel has a planning notice in the Leader detailing an expansion into the mill building next door.
    It includes replacing the apartments with 15 bedrooms, both ground-floor businesses with a hotel cafe, entrance, and separate cafe unit, and a four-floor 'glass box' extension on top of the building to house 20 bedrooms.

Pretty significant development, and it's by Kirkland Developments which own the Bishop's Quay project if I'm not mistaken.

It's a great confidence boost for Limerick but reducing the already limited city centre housing stock isn't ideal.

That's potentially a very extensive development. Definitely didn't see that one coming. Not sure I'd be too wild about the prospect of a 4 floor glass box above the roofline of the mill building though. I think it would lose all semblance of character. A similar proposal for North Wall Quay in Dublin was shot down last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

A glass box would never get through planning process on a listed building!

I don't know about that. There are some very tastefully done examples from around the world. Search for Paucescu House Bucharest or Moritzburg Museum extension.

Kirkland were very respectful of the Bishop's Palace on Henry St. so I've no reason to think they wouldn't want the best design.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Dave27
    Is it definitely a listed building does not appear on protected structures list

Strettie11 wrote: »
    Dave27
    Is it definitely a listed building does not appear on protected structures list

It's not. The original listed building (the Henry Cecil) just happened to collapse into the Savoy site one day when there was nobody around to get hurt. It was all a very convenient coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's not. The original listed building (the Henry Cecil) just happened to collapse into the Savoy site one day when there was nobody around to get hurt. It was all a very convenient coincidence.

Henry Cecil is one block up

Mc Love wrote: »
    Henry Cecil is one block up

Oops. Wrong development. Yes, this is a converted warehouse, isn't it. My geography is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mc Love wrote: »
    Noooo they cant get rid of Arrabica!

Cafe creme on the ballysimon has rebranded as Arrabica by the looks of it.... not sure if the same but the cups match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

As far as i know all of those former warehouses are listed or have an architectural curtilage that must be kept, similar with the granary building (although listed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

It’s recorded in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

The former corn store building has already been modified with 4 shop fronts.

The space between the Savoy and the corn store building is an eyesore.

If they use the same high standard of building materials as used in the Savoy to connect / integrate them both, then it would another small boost for the city centre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

dashoonage wrote: »
    Cafe creme on the ballysimon has rebranded as Arrabica by the looks of it.... not sure if the same but the cups match!

They are the same, the guy who owns Arrabica bought Cafe creme.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

No it wasn't a convenient coincidence. Part of the building collapsed at lunch time on a Monday when 6 men were working on the top floor. One of my close friends was an engineer at the time on the site when a machine that ejected highly compressed air was placed too close to the building and before his eyes, a crack just started from the ground the whole way up.
    The guys on the ground screamed to their colleagues who dropped everything (tools etc) and ran. They were extremely lucky to escape without serious injury.
    It annoys me that this falsehood is still being mentioned 14 years on -
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/historic-limerick-pub-demolished-after-collapse-1.511175

The developer Aidan Brooks isn't the kind of guy to demolish listed buildings at lunch time on a Monday. Especially when he also developed the mill building next to the Savoy before this accident occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Here is the full description of the planning application (no images yet available)

Planning Application 17760

The renovation, conversion and extension of the adjacent 6-storey Mill building, as follows.

1. Removal of existing roof, floors and stair cores (not original fabric) and insertion of a new metal and glass vertical extension ('roof box') extending 4 stories above the existing Mill to accommodate 20. no hotel bedrooms;

2. Change of use of ground floor unit fronting Shannon Street & Henry Street from retail use to café/bar use with new link to the Savoy Hotel.

3. Subdivision of ground floor café/restaurant unit fronting Shannon street to provide 2 no. café/restaurant units, one unit linked to the Savoy Hotel;

4. Change of use of first floor apartments from residential use to retail use to provide 1 no. retail unit with access from ground floor;

5. Provision of hotel WCs at first floor level; 6. Provision of hotel lounge at first floor level;

7. Change of use of second, third, fourth & fifth floors from residential use to hotel use to provide 15. no. hotel bedrooms;

8. Retention of the existing external stone walls with modifications to the facades;

9. New entrance to the Savoy Hotel on Shannon Street; New connections between the Savoy Hotel and the Mill building comprising stair & lift core fronting Henry St. extending 9 stories; new circulation corridor to the north-eastern façade of the Mill extending from first floor level to eighth floor level; and new bridge link from 4th & 8th floor level; New roof/plant gantry over existing hotel service yard; New metal railing to the Savoy Hotel bar smoking area; The development will result in an additional 35 no. bedrooms overall at The Savoy Hotel. The development will also include signage, general plant; diversion of underground services; and all related site development and excavation works above and below ground all on a site of 0.07ha approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

The new Courthouse must be nearly finished at this stage?It looked good last time I was home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sleepyman wrote: »
    The new Courthouse must be nearly finished at this stage?It looked good last time I was home

Still a bit to go. The tower crane is down but a lot of scaffolding still up. The old barracks building is being worked on at the moment and looks really nice. The back of it from the Roxboro Road side is still being worked on. I hope they make a nice job of the stone wall on the Roxboro Road, it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

MrLaurel wrote: »
    No it wasn't a convenient coincidence. Part of the building collapsed at lunch time on a Monday when 6 men were working on the top floor. One of my close friends was an engineer at the time on the site when a machine that ejected highly compressed air was placed too close to the building and before his eyes, a crack just started from the ground the whole way up.
    The guys on the ground screamed to their colleagues who dropped everything (tools etc) and ran. They were extremely lucky to escape without serious injury.
    It annoys me that this falsehood is still being mentioned 14 years on -
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/historic-limerick-pub-demolished-after-collapse-1.511175

The developer Aidan Brooks isn't the kind of guy to demolish listed buildings at lunch time on a Monday. Especially when he also developed the mill building next to the Savoy before this accident occurred.

Great to see someone get called out on the rubbish that's spouted on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

When did the Savoy change hands? Was surprised to see that it's now owned by Kirkland / Rudi Butler.

Advertisement