Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The work I saw was in the field next to the Tesco exit. The roundabout that’s past the Tesco petrol station. The caravans are at the other end of that road.

Can't understand how those caravans are left there, they are the first thing you see coming into the city as well as a falling down sign for the Coonagh Shopping Centre. That entrance to the city looks brutal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

tototoe wrote: »
    Can't understand how those caravans are left there, they are the first thing you see coming into the city as well as a falling down sign for the Coonagh Shopping Centre. That entrance to the city looks brutal imo

Commented on this issue on this thread a few months back it's a disgrace the way the area has been left, I'm cringing at it every day coming in from Shannon, Surely a company as big as Tesco would want to get it cleaned up from a business point of view

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Commented on this issue on this thread a few months back it's a disgrace the way the area has been left, I'm cringing at it every day coming in from Shannon, Surely a company as big as Tesco would want to get it cleaned up from a business point of view

Nothing to do with Tesco, they're only tenants. The derelict part is due to be developed by LIT in the coming months and should be open by September 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Nothing to do with Tesco, they're only tenants. The derelict part is due to be developed by LIT in the coming months and should be open by September 18.
    it's nothing got to do with anyone by the looks of it, just saying surely a business the size of Tesco would have influence to get it tidied up, even just get the battered sign taken down and the temporary fence removed

Jose Maria wrote: »
    it's nothing got to do with anyone by the looks of it, just saying surely a business the size of Tesco would have influence to get it tidied up, even just get the battered sign taken down and the temporary fence removed

It's not affecting their business, so they're obviously not too bothered about it. The fence can't be removed seeing as there's a derelict building site behind it. As I said that will be resolved once LIT move in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure if this falls under the category of "improvement", but I see that the Leader is reporting that 850 homes are to be developed in Mungret as part of "residential masterplan". What a disaster, that area is already a traffic nightmare, and this development will only exacerbate the doughnut effect which Limerick city is experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Not sure if this falls under the category of "improvement", but I see that the Leader is reporting that 850 homes are to be developed in Mungret as part of "residential masterplan". What a disaster, that area is already a traffic nightmare, and this development will only exacerbate the doughnut effect which Limerick city is experiencing.

It's stupidity of the highest order. When asked about providing housing on the Opera site, the Council said there's no need to because they're going to give permission for 3000 houses out in Mungret, as if that's just as beneficial for the city. They really don't seem to get it. These kind of decisions are what have left us with a crumbling city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

When is work starting on the new tower block by the river?
    Have all objections been dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

zulutango wrote: »
    It's stupidity of the highest order. When asked about providing housing on the Opera site, the Council said there's no need to because they're going to give permission for 3000 houses out in Mungret, as if that's just as beneficial for the city. They really don't seem to get it. These kind of decisions are what have left us with a crumbling city centre.

Also heard someone has bought the site next to the Westward Ho and are planning to build houses and a nursing home on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

dashoonage wrote: »
    Also heard someone has bought the site next to the Westward Ho and are planning to build houses and a nursing home on it.

That was the plan for it before the bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's astonishing stuff really! What Limerick needs is a rejuvenated and thriving city centre. Not more anonymous sprawling, low density, remote suburbs with zero public transport provision. They're just repeating the same cycle and compounding past mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's astonishing stuff really! What Limerick needs is a rejuvenated and thriving city centre. Not more anonymous sprawling, low density, remote suburbs with zero public transport provision. They're just repeating the same cycle and compounding past mistakes!

what it needs is a fooking monorail.....

Treepole wrote: »
    When is work starting on the new tower block by the river?
    Have all objections been dealt with?

Good question. The developer was moaning back in January when permission was appealed to An Bord Pleanala. He said they were ready to go at that point.

It's now 4 months on from the ABP decision to uphold the original grant of permission and yet nothing whatsoever has happened.

Vanquished wrote: »
    Good question. The developer was moaning back in January when permission was appealed to An Bord Pleanala. He said they were ready to go at that point.

It's now 4 months on from the ABP decision to uphold the original grant of permission and yet nothing whatsoever has happened.

When ABP granted permission, the developer said that they'd be onsite around Jan 18.

When ABP granted permission, the developer said that they'd be onsite around Jan 18.

Yes. I think he said it could take six months for construction to start. Which is interesting considering he had previously announced that they wouldn't hang around, and were ready to get going in January 2017 after gaining council approval the month before.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Where in the city centre can the council build the type of homes proposed for Mungret. Not everyone wants to live in apartments blocks. Mungret is only the length of the Dock Road from the city centre.

mart 23 wrote: »
    Where in the city centre can the council build the type of homes proposed for Mungret. Not everyone wants to live in apartments blocks. Mungret is only the length of the Dock Road from the city centre.

Have you been on the Dock Road recently? Traffic in the mornings is already usually backed up as far out as Mungret.

Have you been on the Dock Road recently? Traffic in the mornings is already usually backed up as far out as Mungret.

I think a fair amount of the traffic using the dock road should be using the tunnel but drivers are not willing to pay the toll. Maybe a reduction in toll charges might help. Also can the dock road take a bus lane. Its some years now since I lived in Limerick.

I think a fair amount of the traffic using the dock road should be using the tunnel but drivers are not willing to pay the toll. Maybe a reduction in toll charges might help. Also can the dock road take a bus lane. Its some years now since I lived in Limerick.

This is your problem. You're making statements that have no basis in the current reality on the ground. The area is gridlocked every day and not just on the Dock Rd. It doesn't have the capacity to handle the extra traffic that 850 homes will create.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Obviously not everyone wants to live in apartments, but there is certainly a cohort that do. I know plenty that would live in apartments, if quality builds were available in Limerick. The point is, provision for such dwellings should be part of the council's plans to give people the option at least. At the moment, the only viable option which peopole have for quality housing in Limerick is to opt for suburban schemes such as this latest development in Mungret (notwithstanding a few exceptions such as the Clancy Strand apartments).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The big thing I picked up on from the Leader article on the new homes in mungret was the comment on the Opera Site being developed to LEED gold standard. Most new office schemes in Dublin are aiming for platinum.

I've no issue with no residential as part of the opera site, but there needs to be other high density residential on other key city sites. The site just across Shannon bridge would be perfect and large parts of the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

moleyv wrote: »
    The big thing I picked up on from the Leader article on the new homes in mungret was the comment on the Opera Site being developed to LEED gold standard. Most new office schemes in Dublin are aiming for platinum.

I've no issue with no residential as part of the opera site, but there needs to be other high density residential on other key city sites. The site just across Shannon bridge would be perfect and large parts of the docks.

Is that the Cleeves site you are talking about? Latest I heard about that was an estate agent who mentioned something about an events centre going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

while the number of house builds is currently too low, there are at least new houses being built by developers in limerick. it does not make sense for limerick 2030 to enter the housing market, they will only disrupt the existing market. it also goes against their stated goal of creating a liveable city, by creating low density urban sprawl in an area which only recently became technically part of the city.

you say not everyone wants to live in the city, which i agree with, but not everyone wants to live out in the edge of the suburbs either. there are little to no options for anyone to live in limerick city. anything considered remotely affordable is cold, damp and dirty and comes with a musty smell. its very rare that an apartment like the strand complex does become available to rent and if it does its snapped up immediately, usually after a bidding war.

limerick 2030 was supposed to kickstart the city centre, this move to mungret does not make sense, where as building apartments in the city does. also, can anyone explain how all these people will get from mungret to where ever they work, be that raheen, city centre or castletroy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not everyone wants to live in city centre apartments, but not everyone wants to live in Mungret and drive to work every day either.

City centre jobs and city centre apartments are the way forward.

I think an apartment block in Raheen/Castletroy would help too. There's a lot of young people working in Raheen Business Park/out in Castletroy that would easily live in an apartment close to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

mdmix wrote: »
    while the number of house builds is currently too low, there are at least new houses being built by developers in limerick. it does not make sense for limerick 2030 to enter the housing market, they will only disrupt the existing market. it also goes against their stated goal of creating a liveable city, by creating low density urban sprawl in an area which only recently became technically part of the city.

you say not everyone wants to live in the city, which i agree with, but not everyone wants to live out in the edge of the suburbs either. there are little to no options for anyone to live in limerick city. anything considered remotely affordable is cold, damp and dirty and comes with a musty smell. its very rare that an apartment like the strand complex does become available to rent and if it does its snapped up immediately, usually after a bidding war.

limerick 2030 was supposed to kickstart the city centre, this move to mungret does not make sense, where as building apartments in the city does. also, can anyone explain how all these people will get from mungret to where ever they work, be that raheen, city centre or castletroy?

It is unclear to me as to what exactly Limerick 2030's role is here, are they going down the Uk Master developer route where they put in the infrastructure and the developers then build houses under licence or are they developing everything?
    I thought the comment about creating the homes for people to commute from was a bit strange given that there remit is essentially the City Centre.
    However I think there is still a need for this type of development and I think with changing household sizes LCC should looking to develop more smaller units in the City Centre and more family sized units at this location.
    There seems to be no mention of public transport and this would be a concern of mine.

I would also like to see high standard apartment blocks built around city centre but if your expecting the city council to build these you will be waiting. The council are relying on private developers to do this As for Mungret I expect there will be further development in roads in the area in future years Presently the tunnel ,M20 St nessans road and the dock road serves the Mungret area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Is the cement factory still operational? Potential there for a big brownfield site but then again the land is probably contaminated so probably a lot of rehabilitation involved.
    The railway line has potential.

I would also like to see high standard apartment blocks built around city centre but if your expecting the city council to build these you will be waiting. The council are relying on private developers to do this As for Mungret I expect there will be further development in roads in the area in future years Presently the tunnel ,M20 St nessans road and the dock road serves the Mungret area.

the point i was making is that there are plenty of people developing houses, no need for the council to intervene here. i don't have figures but i would say there are less apartments in limerick than any other irish city, and far less than any equivalent UK city, this is where limerick 2030 can make an impact. why add to an already unbalanced situation, especially when it contradicts your stated goal.

while the m20 and m7 are far from being overused, there are 40k journeys per day on the motorway travelling east/west of limerick city (CSO figures). this is not all be local traffic, but the majority is. The raheen, castletroy and dock roads are completely choked and cannot handle any more traffic.

Is the cement factory still operational? Potential there for a big brownfield site but then again the land is probably contaminated so probably a lot of rehabilitation involved.
    The railway line has potential.

the cement factory is still busy, although the rail line is definitely a good option. the old cleaves site looks like its going to be turned into more offices, while the gasworks site is being made safe for sale it won't be for sale until 2020.

limerick 2030 keep talking about the fixing up the georgian part of town for city living. while this is an excellent idea, it isn't exactly a large area and these buildings are small. they talk about it like its the magic bullet that will fix limerick when in reality they are talking about a few dozen properties!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M20 northbound is now blocked back as far as the Dooradoyle junction morning and evening. A lot of this is due to Raheen commuter traffic, but also UL/Castletroy/Northern Trust traffic due to the large volumes of traffic commuting now due to accomodation shortages in Castletroy.

Mungret has the same road infrastructure as before bar the link road between the new school/St Pauls GAA and the N69. What it basically does is offer another route towards the same congested Dock Road or towards the same congested Castletroy area. It is useful for Raheen workers, especially those who will cycle.

More sprawl and houses out in Mungret, Annacotty, Monaleen etc will cause this to worsen and worsen until you have a Galway/Cork situation. The M20 and M7/N18 have given some breathing space traffic wise but using that breathing space to encourage more and more commuting is not the answer. The traffic in Castletroy these days in the mornings is beyond a joke.

Advertisement