Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    What about the greatly increased traffic on the Clare side? Not sure the roads over there can take it so these would need to be upgraded.

The majority that would be using it are driving in that way anyway, the only section that would need improving would be from Larkin's Cross to UL and some of that is good enough as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

as I pointed out previously, The Larkin's Cross to Burlington road is more than capable of taking the extra traffic. This road was widened very significantly during the 1970s when Klopman opened their textile pant in Gillogue, then one of Munster's largest employers. this road carried huge traffic, lorries delivering allover Europe, over 800 employees etc. The Clare Council subsequently narrowed the road but the original boundaries still exist. UL, Clare and Limerick councils know perfectly well that this road could be a partial solution to the city's traffic problems but....................... they pretend otherwise so that the Grand Solution, the Distributor Road Phase 2 is built. Nonsensical

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

zulutango wrote: »
    They're putting the glazing up on the Hanging Gardens building today. We'll get a good idea of what it's going to look like over the next few days I think.

Anyone got any photos?Don't see anything on skyscrapercity either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sleepyman wrote:
    Anyone got any photos?Don't see anything on skyscrapercity either.

Walked passed at 5pm today and didn't look much different to me so I presume the information on here was bogus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The glazing frame was erected on the 6 storey concrete shell over the last few weeks and the panes of glass started going in last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

panda100 wrote: »
    Walked passed at 5pm today and didn't look much different to me so I presume the information on here was bogus

You're not going to see much behind the scaffolding in the dark and rain. It's definitely not bogus information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

You're not going to see much behind the scaffolding in the dark and rain. It's definitely not bogus information.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Is more visible on the Post Office Lane side of the building. Definitely started the glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Glenomra wrote: »
    as I pointed out previously, The Larkin's Cross to Burlington road is more than capable of taking the extra traffic. This road was widened very significantly during the 1970s when Klopman opened their textile pant in Gillogue, then one of Munster's largest employers. this road carried huge traffic, lorries delivering allover Europe, over 800 employees etc. The Clare Council subsequently narrowed the road but the original boundaries still exist. UL, Clare and Limerick councils know perfectly well that this road could be a partial solution to the city's traffic problems but....................... they pretend otherwise so that the Grand Solution, the Distributor Road Phase 2 is built. Nonsensical

I don't think they narrowed it, they just allowed nature to gradually reclaim the road over time. Its phenomenon common all over the Clare section of the Limerick Metropolitan Area, severely neglected by Clare County Council for fear that the dreaded boundary extension would occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

panda100 wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    They could be glazing there for weeks before you'd notice anything. It's not a quick job, especially in these weather conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Glazing is going up alright. We have the vast bulk of the electrical containment up in there too.

No. 19 is flying up also. On to the second floor steelwork.

The mercantile is ready for fit out (1st fix) also and conservation work on the GPO and Hanging gardens buildings are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tefral wrote: »
    Glazing is going up alright. We have the vast bulk of the electrical containment up in there too.

No. 19 is flying up also. On to the second floor steelwork.

The mercantile is ready for fit out (1st fix) also and conservation work on the GPO and Hanging gardens buildings are ongoing.

saw them doing the glazing the other morning and it was a windy morning for it

Mc Love wrote: »
    saw them doing the glazing the other morning and it was a windy morning for it

Fairly stiff deadline for it.

Also read through this thread and some had mentioned all the units had been let, this isnt the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Fairly stiff deadline for it.

Also read through this thread and some had mentioned all the units had been let, this isnt the case.
    as a matter of interest, how much of the property is pre let.

Glenomra wrote: »
    as a matter of interest, how much of the property is pre let.

Very little, if any confirmed.. however is fairly sizable interest I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Any movement on that Rudi Butler development down by the river where that old brown ESB building is?I know planning permission was granted but there doesn't seem to be much movement.The new courthouse must be nearly ready.

Very little, if any confirmed.. however is fairly sizable interest I believe.

Gway I was probably the one that said based off what I heard from a good source

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Whats the story with Hassetts pub? Its been for sale for years, i'd have thought a bar/cafe would do okay there given proximity to Thomond Park, and being on a busy crossroads? But nothing? Surely ripe for demolition/redevelopment?
    And yes, I know there's not an event in Thomond every week, but that side of town is underserved with pubs, given the size of it, and a large student population just up the road in LIT.

topcat72 wrote: »
    Whats the story with Hassetts pub? Its been for sale for years, i'd have thought a bar/cafe would do okay there given proximity to Thomond Park, and being on a busy crossroads? But nothing? Surely ripe for revdelopment?
    And yes, I know there's not an event in Thomond every week, but that side of town is underserved with pubs, given the size of it, and a large student population just up the road in LIT.
    Students drink more at home now than in pubs. There isn't a match in Thomond every week. Unless they started doing food. It wouldn't be viable. It would need something like Nevilles/westward ho to attract business.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Students drink more at home now than in pubs. There isn't a match in Thomond every week. Unless they started doing food. It wouldn't be viable. It would need something like Nevilles/westward ho to attract business.

Without being derogatory it wouldn't work there too well due to the clientele that would frequent it on a daily basis to be honest.

• Advertisement

Without being derogatory it wouldn't work there too well due to the clientele that would frequent it on a daily basis to be honest.

I don't know, if it's done right, there shouldn't be a problem. Fitzgeralds is just up the road from it. If it gets a reputation that serves some undesirables then it wouldn't work. But that shouldn't be a problem with the model i suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Post on Facebook saying it's been sold

436689.png[\IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Wouldnt be surprised if it was razed to the ground for a new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

yup , just confirmed by the auctioneer.
    that was for sale for a looooong time.

http://www.rooneys.eu/commercial/brochure/hassett-s-licensed-premises-hassett-s-cross-thomondgate-limerick-city/2989087

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

topcat72 wrote: »

I think this has great potential. Obviously the old pub came with a bad rep but there are nice areas surrounding this too (Farranshone, Mayorstone, Caherdavin & most parts of Thomond Gate are fine).

you look at what GBB have done with The Wickham Tap & Mother Macs with the old round house and you have to realise potential. Even Katie Dalys on Nicholas street has been recently taken over and doing very well.

On Match Days it would be hopping but it could bring in a steady flow of people as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

damowill wrote: »
    I think this has great potential. Obviously the old pub came with a bad rep but there are nice areas surrounding this too (Farranshone, Mayorstone, Caherdavin & most parts of Thomond Gate are fine).

you look at what GBB have done with The Wickham Tap & Mother Macs with the old round house and you have to realise potential. Even Katie Dalys on Nicholas street has been recently taken over and doing very well.

On Match Days it would be hopping but it could bring in a steady flow of people as well.

There's no guarantee that the new owner has any intention of reopening a pub. It's a decent sized site that could be redeveloped for retail or apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Is the Wickham tap actually busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

tototoe wrote: »
    Is the Wickham tap actually busy?

I've been in a few times and it seems it just gets a steady crowd, never overly full. if they had high lease costs you'd worry for them but they probably picked the place up for next to nothing so they should be fine...

but my point was they turned places you wouldnt dream of going (with bad reputations) into places you would venture. Limerick is reinventing itself & care little for past reputations. it can only be good for the city

I've been in a few times and it seems it just gets a steady crowd, never overly full. if they had high lease costs you'd worry for them but they probably picked the place up for next to nothing so they should be fine...

but my point was they turned places you wouldnt dream of going (with bad reputations) into places you would venture. Limerick is reinventing itself & care little for past reputations. it can only be good for the city

I hope it Limerick retains a bit of grittiness, it's what makes Limerick a proper little city.

• Advertisement

One rule for Lyle Lanley, another for Dunnes Stores. The hypocrisy of it all.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/288444/march-deadline-for-owners-of-limerick-s-horizon-mall.html

Advertisement