Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's a lot better now with the right turn only lane closed actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads, what's being done on the pitches at UL? The ones where Kennedy Cup etc would be one. Huge work going on there constantly recently. Re-doing the pitches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

callaway92 wrote: »
    Lads, what's being done on the pitches at UL? The ones where Kennedy Cup etc would be one. Huge work going on there constantly recently. Re-doing the pitches?

i asked a bit back. 4G pitches, im fooking sick of them hauling ****e in and out of the Hamilton house exit. Only recently did they put a sweeper on the roads to try and keep the dirt down. UL are speaky fookers with there exits into the industrial park...one appeared from kilmurray village as well last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dashoonage wrote: »
    i asked a bit back. 4G pitches, im fooking sick of them hauling ****e in and out of the Hamilton house exit. Only recently did they put a sweeper on the roads to try and keep the dirt down. UL are speaky fookers with there exits into the industrial park...one appeared from kilmurray village as well last year.

Ya I work in Hamilton House so passing it every day..it's annoying the shít and dirt on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya I work in Hamilton House so passing it every day..it's annoying the shít and dirt on the road

I also work in Hamilton House :P

Some serious amount of stone going in there! someones making money out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used to work in Hamilton House :) nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

zulutango wrote:
    The standard of design is vastly superior to what local architects Healy Partners and developer Robert Butler were going to do 10 years ago. Limerick Twenty Thirty and the Council deserve credit for getting a very reputable firm such as Carr Cotter Naessans on this job. This is the standard of design that we should demand in Limerick and the local developers and architectural firms must up their game. Anything less isn't good enough.

Your doing many of the architectural firms a disservice with comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Limerick Council has purchased the former Department of Social Protection building at the top of Cecil Street to house an expansion of Innovate Limerick's "Engine" programme, which operates out of the former Dominican biblical institute.

The Council may also buy the former Theatre Royal which has been earmarked as a cinema and digital media centre for a number of years now but has struggled to raise the necessary finance.

I wish they would direct some investment towards upgrading the physical infrastructure of the street also. It would an ideal template to showcase what can be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Vanquished wrote: »
    Limerick Council has purchased the former Department of Social Protection building at the top of Cecil Street to house an expansion of Innovate Limerick's "Engine" programme, which operates out of the former Dominican biblical institute.

The Council may also buy the former Theatre Royal which has been earmarked as a cinema and digital media centre for a number of years now but has struggled to raise the necessary finance.

I wish they would direct some investment towards upgrading the physical infrastructure of the street also. It would an ideal template to showcase what can be achieved.

WP Engine are based out of that biblical institute building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

They occupy a portion of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well this looks like a terrible idea

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

panda100 wrote: »
    I wonder will it look similar to the light that the arcade on the ennis road used to shine in the sky

tweek84 wrote: »
    I wonder will it look similar to the light that the arcade on the ennis road used to shine in the sky

Oh yeah I had forgotten about that!Twas like living in Vegas there for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

tweek84 wrote: »
    Don't remember this! How long ago was it? I can't even recall an arcade on the Ennis Road. I remember when Trinity Rooms had two big spotlights shining into the sky.

Don't remember this! How long ago was it? I can't even recall an arcade on the Ennis Road. I remember when Trinity Rooms had two big spotlights shining into the sky.

Oh maybe it's the trinity rooms one I remember so. Though I have some vague recollection that they came from the Ennis Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Oh maybe it's the trinity rooms one I remember so. Though I have some vague recollection that they came from the Ennis Road.

Ahhh yes, had totally forgotten that. Brings me back to good times!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The following Limerick projects has been announced in todays National Development Plan 2018-27.

Redevelopment of Limerick Prison.

Relocation of Limerick Maternity Hospital to the UHL campus.

A new ward block for UHL.

New ambulance base for Limerick.

New training facilities for Sarsfield Barracks.

M20 and M21/N69 Limerick to Foynes.

The possible reinstatement of the Limerick - Foynes rail line is mentioned.

New student centre, sports facilities, new and refurbished student residences at UL.

BusConnects programme for Limerick.

Not a lot really and we already knew that some of them were on their way. They also mentioned being fully behind the Limerick 2030 and regeneration projects.

Also in the National Planning Framework 2040 they want Limericks population to grow by 50% and for 50% of all new housing to be within the current footprint of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

The NDP is extremely light on info related to busconnects in Limerick. It mentions that it aims to bring it to all cities and goes on to provide some further info on implementation in Dublin cork and Galway but not Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

apc wrote: »
    The NDP is extremely light on info related to busconnects in Limerick. It mentions that it aims to bring it to all cities and goes on to provide some further info on implementation in Dublin cork and Galway but not Limerick

Waterford was mentioned too but no detail was given. The NDP was announced on a Friday so it can be forgotten about on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I think Limerick as usual got a raw deal. Why not a new elective hospital for Limerick, why only 50% growth.
    It's the most strategically located city in the south and west of the country, should have been a lot more ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think Limerick as usual got a raw deal. Why not a new elective hospital for Limerick, why only 50% growth.
    It's the most strategically located city in the south and west of the country, should have been a lot more ambitious.

The big advantage we have is Shannon Airport. Otherwise, you could argue that Galway and Cork be targeted for major investment instead. In a way, it looks like that's what's happening.

zulutango wrote: »
    The big advantage we have is Shannon Airport. Otherwise, you could argue that Galway and Cork be targeted for major investment instead. In a way, it looks like that's what's happening.

I don't get it. I just think Limerick gets shafted every time. Even the way the media reports things, it's always Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick. It's never Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway.

I don't get it. I just think Limerick gets shafted every time. Even the way the media reports things, it's always Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick. It's never Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway.

Well, the one for everyone in the audience approach to infrastructure investment causes more harm than good. It may be that Galway and Cork should get the investment and Limerick shouldn't. As a country we have to prioritise. Limerick has no birthright to be the third or second city. It should get the investment if it's the right place for it. And there's arguments both for and against that. The strongest argument in our favour is having Shannon Airport on our doorstep.

From the Limerick Leader ...

"Maria Woods, Senior Planner with Limerick City and County Council said: “One of the aims of the NPF is to address regional imbalance between the greater Dublin area and the rest of the country, however, we are concerned that the plan outlined by the government means that the status quo will remain in terms of population distribution across the country." "

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/297647/ireland-2040-limerick-council-boss-wants-to-develop-regions-with-cities-in-the-west.html#.Woc4ye7OcSs.twitter

zulutango wrote: »
    Well, the one for everyone in the audience approach to infrastructure investment causes more harm than good. It may be that Galway and Cork should get the investment and Limerick shouldn't. As a country we have to prioritise. Limerick has no birthright to be the third or second city. It should get the investment if it's the right place for it. And there's arguments both for and against that. The strongest argument in our favour is having Shannon Airport on our doorstep.

Shannon will just keep ticking over, same as Cork. Unfortunately only one proper Airport is sustainable in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I don't think it's got a raw deal as such, it's roughly on a par with Galway. However I do think the govt have shied away from making the hard decision here to focus on one or two cities, instead diluting the intention of the plan by giving something to everyone. Essentially, when you strip the plan down, the five cities will get some projects in the order of their current size and some of the towns will get some stuff too.

Imo the two big items will be the motorway to Cork and improved connections to the deepwater port at Foynes. It will ensure that Limerick will be the best connected urban centre outside of Dublin, with good connections to airport & seaport hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The biggest problem for me, is that the plan does not recognise the role in planning that has destroyed some of our cities...it's like it never happened...Dublin and Galway are destroyed because of their planning "culture"....we can not depend on either of those two cities to deliver sustainable growth...

For some reason, no one outside of Limerick can see the infrastructural and geographical advantages Limerick has over other Irish cities...

This plan is a joke in any case....the real need is to break up the highly centralised system of government that has led to the farcical situation we find ourselves in....this plan doesn't even acknowledge that let alone try to prevent it...

The four regional cities of Ireland should each have an elected mayor with powerful oversight on everything, or at least the regions should be be given more power...

We are some joke of a country when it comes to urbanisation, it is just beyond us it seems....

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Is the Northern Distributor road phase 2 included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Glenomra wrote: »
    Is the Northern Distributor road phase 2 included

Hope so, especially if they're serious about pedestrianising O'Connell St

Advertisement