Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I see from TV3 news just now that the new courts complex on Mulgrave St. is open.

Good to see it up and running. The TV cameras near the town hall didn’t look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I see from TV3 news just now that the new courts complex on Mulgrave St. is open.

Good to see it up and running. The TV cameras near the town hall didn’t look great.

does anyone have an idea about what they are doing with the entrance? they saved part of the old structure but didn't fix it up or anything, surely they will do something with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

mdmix wrote: »
    does anyone have an idea about what they are doing with the entrance? they saved part of the old structure but didn't fix it up or anything, surely they will do something with it?
    Ya I thought the same, I thought they'd stick a few windows in it, it looks a bit unfinished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Ya I thought the same, I thought they'd stick a few windows in it, it looks a bit unfinished
    Yeah, I agree. They just filled it in with a rough finished concrete. Surely if they are just blocking it up, they could have used some nice bricks or old stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Any images of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Starbucks earmarked for it. Lags like a latte too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The Limerick Chamber are most unhappy with the government's 2040 plan re projects for the city/region. What extra could realistically have been included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Glenomra wrote: »
    The Limerick Chamber are most unhappy with the government's 2040 plan re projects for the city/region. What extra could realistically have been included.

I have just read the same statement you have...I have to say I absolutely agree with it....

For proper regional development we need power to be distributed to the regions....like in most normal countries....

I don't think anyone really expected that to happen, but the fact that we do not have a Minister at the Cabinet table is obvious....but I don't think that is the problem...this 2040 plan is just a bit more than what you'd expect from a college project....I don't expect to see more than 30% of it implemented...

We are a joke of a nation when it comes to urbanisation, Limerick is a great example of an underdeveloped city...but we have 3 other regional cities who each have deep problems also....

Cities are the nations economic engines, we have one big massive engine in Dublin, an economy that two crashes on the M50 on any given day can grind the local economy to a halt...

We are a nation that doesn't like to talk about planning, it's like we are brushing it under a carpet, when urban planning is THE most vital aspect of urban development....without proper planning we get the disasters that are Dublin and Galway...

This report does nothing to stop that imbalance continuing...absolutely nothing...

Bus Connects and an elective hospital for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

The foynes road and the maternity are 2 of the 3 big projects for Limerick. Both of these were included in the old capital plan due for which ran to 2022. Not only are we being sold old news as if it's a fantastic new thing, the current plan runs till 2027, meaning these 2 projects have potentially been delayed for 5 years! As well as that, neither of these projects are strategic, the government are being forced to do the foynes road by the EU and the maternity is one of 2 maternity hospitals in Ireland not attached to a main hospital. That being said, I read the original ireland 2040 submission for the mid west which was very poor, so I'm not surprised we have been shafted. They asked for funding for the limerick NDR and funding for housing in mungret, both of which run contrary to the stated objectives of Ireland 2040. Instead of focusing on public transport, they asked for a rail link to shannon. While we have acknowledgement Limerick features in the bus connects plan, I think it's a bit worrying that there is no acknowledgement on funding or completion date.

Unfortunately it looks like Limerick council look to the sprawl of Dublin and cork as something to aspire to. While there are still sources of funding available to improve the city (and county), unless there is a change in attitudes I feel like we will continue to miss out

The foynes road and the maternity are 2 of the 3 big projects for Limerick. Both of these were included in the old capital plan due for which ran to 2022. Not only are we being sold old news as if it's a fantastic new thing, the current plan runs till 2027, meaning these 2 projects have potentially been delayed for 5 years! As well as that, neither of these projects are strategic, the government are being forced to do the foynes road by the EU and the maternity is one of 2 maternity hospitals in Ireland not attached to a main hospital. That being said, I read the original ireland 2040 submission for the mid west which was very poor, so I'm not surprised we have been shafted. They asked for funding for the limerick NDR and funding for housing in mungret, both of which run contrary to the stated objectives of Ireland 2040. Instead of focusing on public transport, they asked for a rail link to shannon. While we have acknowledgement Limerick features in the bus connects plan, I think it's a bit worrying that there is no acknowledgement on funding or completion date.

Unfortunately it looks like Limerick council look to the sprawl of Dublin and cork as something to aspire to. While there are still sources of funding available to improve the city (and county), unless there is a change in attitudes I feel like we will continue to miss out

My sister in law had her first child in Limerick Maternity and was told at the time that if she was having another baby it would be in Dooradoyle.
    That child is now 18 and she had 3 more subsequently and none of them in Dooradoyle.

The Mid West submission was one of the worst documents I have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

My sister in law had her first child in Limerick Maternity and was told at the time that if she was having another baby it would be in Dooradoyle.
    That child is now 18 and she had 3 more subsequently and none of them in Dooradoyle.
    She could have had another baby 9 months after her first one? Did they really think they’d build a hospital in that timeframe? :pac:

She could have had another baby 9 months after her first one? Did they really think they’d build a hospital in that timeframe? :pac:

10 months in reality. Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Any rail link to Shannon airport should be a monorail for all the use it would be.

Whatever your thoughts on the matter, I think this is a clear indicator that Limerick is on the up.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/i-res-reit-eyes-cork-and-limerick-expansion-829466.html

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

does anyone know the current situation with the incomplete building to the riight of molly’s ? real eyesore. is there any plans for it or what’s the story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

crusha101 wrote: »
    does anyone know the current situation with the incomplete building to the riight of molly’s ? real eyesore. is there any plans for it or what’s the story ?

No plans for it. The Council has been in and out of the courts with the developer over the years. At the moment I believe they're trying to get it listed as a Derelict site, and that will enable them to take it over. Should have been done years ago, imo, but the Council didn't have the appetite for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

10 months in reality. Just sayin.

Average pregnancy is 38 weeks (as wee 1 and 2 are pre-conception), that's just over 8.8 months. Just sayin.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Homeland Projects, a house building company, are reported to have bought a site close to Limerick city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Major incident taking place in the Gardens International site, part of Henry st and Glentworth st closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Mc Love wrote: »
    Major incident taking place in the Gardens International site, part of Henry st and Glentworth st closed off.

A back spasm :eek::eek::D
    https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/02/27/breaking-emergency-operation-gardens-international/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whats the situation with the opera site and the residential office block that was proposed for Bishops Quay are they still getting the go ahead or indeed the pedestrianisation of O Connel Street is any work going to be started on it any time soon or any of those other proposed projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Mutant z wrote: »
    Whats the situation with the opera site and the residential office block that was proposed for Bishops Quay are they still getting the go ahead or indeed the pedestrianisation of O Connel Street is any work going to be started on it any time soon or any of those other proposed projects.
    Not for a few years by all accounts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mutant z wrote: »

The Opera site has to go to An Bord Pleanala for planning permission and the will take 4-5 years to build after that.

Nobody has any idea what's happening with Bishop's Quay. The developer said that they would be starting construction in January, but it's March tomorrow and nothings happening.

O'Connell St. is still at design stage so probably another 2-3 years before any work starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

There is an application with the council to complete this building. The application is by a company owned by the Maddens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/300569/new-lease-of-life-for-vacant-georgian-building-in-limerick.html#.WprlxUE5L6A.twitter

Limerick Leader is reporting that a Georgian building on O'Connell street is being restored/redeveloped. Proposed design looks promising, hopefully others will follow suit..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah it's next door to the Belltable, hopefully it's the beginning of more projects like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The IDA want to widen Plassey Park Road from the Vistakon roundabout as far as Milford, with new cycle lanes, a left turning lane onto the roundabout and a new entrance to a presumably new factory across from Vistacon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I spotted this on the councils planning website. I assume its that building.

Development Description: completion of the works comprising of a mixed development as follows: (a) language school and seven retail shop units on ground floor; (b) five duplex 4 bedroom apartments and three duplex 6 bedroom apartment on first and second floors; (c0 basement with 24 private car spaces and (d) new connections to the mains public water and sewer

Development Address: Ellen Street/Carr Street/Punch's Row,, Limerick.

Advertisement