Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why ****ing Rugby? We don't need some monument to the glorification of thirty apes running around a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why ****ing Rugby? We don't need some monument to the glorification of thirty apes running around a field.

Oh let me guess you'd prefer it dedicated to Conor McGregor instead ??
    We know your type

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Glenomra wrote: »
    UL planning to build 2 new student accommodation blocks, one of which can be converted to a 4 star hotel during the Summer holiday season.

Two new blocks? I presume this student accomodation / hotel planning does not include the recently purchased Park Point on the Dublin road?
    Possibly, I hadn't thought of that building. Would suit the hotel idea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I believe the UL project above will be sited behind the existing Kilmurry village around the area where Milford GAA used to have a pitch.

The hotel is likely for additional income during the summer when properties are normally vacant - the proximity of the Technology Park and Troy Studios makes it an attractive location for a hotel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fine's must not be happy with that work going on overhead.

They're not and they objected to the planning, but LCCC granted permission anyway.

However An Taisce have since appealed the planning permission to An Bord Pleanala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Níall McLaughlin gets go-ahead for global centre for rugby (The Architects’ Journal)

Architect’s view

The design approach was to consider this as a special civic building rather than a townhouse and the architectural proposals were developed through research into historic civic buildings set in Georgian streetscapes, referencing the scale of churches and civic halls.

The building is crowned with a public hall at the top. A grand entrance portico addresses the main street, providing shelter and creating a public space below where visitors gather and fans can meet on match days. Both inside and out, structural forces will be expressed through brick and concrete detailing to create a building that reflects some of the forces found in the game of rugby.

The structure and brick expression should provide a tangible link to the building’s function and will be key to the visitor experience.

Are the buildings that currently stand protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I would have presumed so but not sure. The piece in the Irish Times a few weeks ago quoted the architect saying the buildings are no more than a shell of what they were, previous restorations had completely gutted them of any historical significance. Not sure if it’s true for these buildings, but from looking at the outside it’s hard to argue.

At first I had my doubts about the new building but I’ve grown to like the design. I hope it goes ahead. An teasc are right to lodge an appeal, its pretty tragic to see what has happened to limerick over the last number of years. Generally historical building were torn down and replaced with something cheaper and uglier or something much larger and out of character with its surroundings (see Aib across the road). This new design is a rare exception of an old building being replaced with a newer better designed building.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

They're not and they objected to the planning, but LCCC granted permission anyway.

However An Taisce have since appealed the planning permission to An Bord Pleanala.

AFAIK An Taisce did not enter an appeal to the Limerick Council. How then are they allowed to apppeal to ABP.? Also there is no appeal on the ABP site as yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mart 23 wrote: »
    AFAIK An Taisce did not enter an appeal to the Limerick Council. How then are they allowed to apppeal to ABP.? Also there is no appeal on the ABP site as yet.

I wondered that myself, but on the council planning site they've a scan of the letter from ABP stating that An Taisce had appealed and a copy of the appeal letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

They are listed in a survey of Limerick buildings by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

21517024_1.jpg

39-40 O'Connell Street (NIAH)

Terraced five-bay four-storey over concealed basement rendered building, built c. 1810, formerly two houses joined c. 1955 in a late Art Deco style with stone shopfronts inserted c. 1995. Pitched and hipped roof with painted rendered chimneystacks concealed behind parapet wall with painted coping. Painted cement rendered façade with stepping below the parapet and a recessed panel frames all bays to each of the former buildings.

Window openings to No. 39 are as per original Georgian house, those to No. 40 are narrower and date to c. 1950. Reeded window aprons below third and second floor windows, incorporating window sills to both buildings. Square-headed and profiled window openings with timber sash windows, three-over-six to third floor, six-over-six to second floor and six-over-six to first floor. Similar but narrower timber sash windows to No. 41. Timber sash windows to rear including a pair of Wyatt windows. Ground floors are entirely modern. To the rear a semi-round engaged stone pier is probably the remains of a gateway.

21517023_1.jpg21517023_2.jpg

42 O'Connell Street and 1 Cecil Street (NIAH)

Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over concealed basement rendered former townhouse, built c. 1820, with a blind side elevation prolonged to east to incorporate a four-bay four-storey over concealed basement south-facing former townhouse. Polished stone shopfront, c. 2000, and timber shopfront c. 2004 to side elevation. Hipped artificial slate roof with terracotta ridge perpendicular to O'Connell Street, concealed behind a parapet wall.

Cement rendered chimneystack to north party wall and along ridge to east, and east of which the ridge level drops for a single-bay before terminating with neighbouring house to east on Cecil Street. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled and lined cement rendered walls throughout with limestone coping to parapet wall. Painted sign to south-facing elevation, c. 1980, with lettering. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, replacement sills to front elevation and limestone sills to side elevation with replacement twentieth-century timber sash windows.

• Advertisement

They are listed in a survey of Limerick buildings by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

21517024_1.jpg

39-40 O'Connell Street (NIAH)

Terraced five-bay four-storey over concealed basement rendered building, built c. 1810, formerly two houses joined c. 1955 in a late Art Deco style with stone shopfronts inserted c. 1995. Pitched and hipped roof with painted rendered chimneystacks concealed behind parapet wall with painted coping. Painted cement rendered façade with stepping below the parapet and a recessed panel frames all bays to each of the former buildings.

Window openings to No. 39 are as per original Georgian house, those to No. 40 are narrower and date to c. 1950. Reeded window aprons below third and second floor windows, incorporating window sills to both buildings. Square-headed and profiled window openings with timber sash windows, three-over-six to third floor, six-over-six to second floor and six-over-six to first floor. Similar but narrower timber sash windows to No. 41. Timber sash windows to rear including a pair of Wyatt windows. Ground floors are entirely modern. To the rear a semi-round engaged stone pier is probably the remains of a gateway.

21517023_1.jpg21517023_2.jpg

42 O'Connell Street and 1 Cecil Street (NIAH)

Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over concealed basement rendered former townhouse, built c. 1820, with a blind side elevation prolonged to east to incorporate a four-bay four-storey over concealed basement south-facing former townhouse. Polished stone shopfront, c. 2000, and timber shopfront c. 2004 to side elevation. Hipped artificial slate roof with terracotta ridge perpendicular to O'Connell Street, concealed behind a parapet wall.

Cement rendered chimneystack to north party wall and along ridge to east, and east of which the ridge level drops for a single-bay before terminating with neighbouring house to east on Cecil Street. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled and lined cement rendered walls throughout with limestone coping to parapet wall. Painted sign to south-facing elevation, c. 1980, with lettering. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, replacement sills to front elevation and limestone sills to side elevation with replacement twentieth-century timber sash windows.

It would be a pity to have these historical buildings destroyed - It would make more sense to demolish the unit beside it where the Jasmine restaurant is as it holds no architectural value .

I also feel like these modern buildings on a main street do nothing for its character as this can be seen especially lower down O'Connell street with the Pennys building which was once Cannocks the main landmark building in the city which was replaced with a soulless eyesore that exists today, the same can be seen with the Brown Thomas Building which was once another fantastic building that would have added some character to the street .

Cruises hotel & the George Hotel were also very nice buildings that were also replaced with the current soulless architecture today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have to say as someone with an untrained eye and no particular gra for the planned rugby museum that building as it currently exists with Fines on the ground floor is as ugly as mortal sin.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have to say as someone with an untrained eye and no particular gra for the planned rugby museum that building as it currently exists with Fines on the ground floor is as ugly as mortal sin.

A bit of tiding up & paint would do all those buildings the world of good - & I'm surprised they haven't been painted as they are not the typical redbrick around the city - The Fines building looks like he has never had a lick of paint

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A bit of tiding up & paint would do all those buildings the world of good - & I'm surprised they haven't been painted as they are not the typical redbrick around the city - The Fines building looks like he has never had a lick of paint

Yeah it could definitely be tarted up a bit without much effort but even at that, what's so special about a basic cube of a building with little or nothing especially aesthetic about it?

Many of the Georgian buildings around the place I can easily appreciate are stunning, this one is just an eyesore to my eyes.

Is there some merit beyond date of construction here that I'm blind to?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

technically not limerick, but will have a big affect on the city.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/306896/new-town-planned-for-clare-side-of-ul-campus-has-capacity-to-generate-3-500-jobs.html
    Clare County Council said it would submit a formal application to Government for the designation of the South Clare Economic Strategic Development Zone in the coming weeks.

If the application is successful, a detailed masterplan for the area will be developed by the Local Authority, in conjunction with UL, local landowners and other stakeholders, it added.

its a great idea in theory but inevitably it will lead to further sprawl and make life more difficult for commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

they had a fantastic opportunity to do so with Shannon and failed miserably.

Give planners & developers a blank canvass and they will build a concrete jungle!!

Newtown Annacotty is ok but look at Raheen, Dooradoyle & Ballycummin areas of Limerick. hardly a green area to be found and only until the recent park in Mungret, prior to this there were no playgrounds in the area & very little green.

UL is a fantastic area as it is at the moment with the river alongside it. Adding a nearby town wont add much to it imo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    they had a fantastic opportunity to do so with Shannon and failed miserably.

Give planners & developers a blank canvass and they will build a concrete jungle!!

Newtown Annacotty is ok but look at Raheen, Dooradoyle & Ballycummin areas of Limerick. hardly a green area to be found and only until the recent park in Mungret, prior to this there were no playgrounds in the area & very little green.

UL is a fantastic area as it is at the moment with the river alongside it. Adding a nearby town wont add much to it imo.....
    Hardly a green area? There's loads of green areas in raheen and Dooradoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote:
    Hardly a green area? There's loads of green areas in raheen and Dooradoyle

Is there any actual public park out that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

First look at new sports facilities planned for University of Limerick (Limerick Leader)

I find the location for the UL Climbing Wall Building to be short sighted, it hinders future possibilities of developing a seated area around the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

zulutango wrote: »
    Is there any actual public park out that way?

just at the edge of Raheen there is a massive public park with playground, running track and walkways in Mungret. Dooradoyle has a small playground beside the Cresent shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/traffic-ban-causing-chaos-according-to-cork-traders-1.3458445?mode=amp

interesting read/video in the Irish Times on the effects partial pedestrianisation is having on Patrick Street in Cork. I recall from a visit to Sydney many years ago they were talking of taking out the pedestrianised area due to the same reasons. I do fear the same for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

just at the edge of Raheen there is a massive public park with playground, running track and walkways in Mungret. Dooradoyle has a small playground beside the Cresent shopping centre

But there is plenty of green spaces in the area. They could all be developed into public parks imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/traffic-ban-causing-chaos-according-to-cork-traders-1.3458445?mode=amp

interesting read/video in the Irish Times on the effects partial pedestrianisation is having on Patrick Street in Cork. I recall from a visit to Sydney many years ago they were talking of taking out the pedestrianised area due to the same reasons. I do fear the same for Limerick.

The O'Connell pedestrianisation ship has sailed I think...they should look at Catherine St, could do a great job on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The O'Connell pedestrianisation ship has sailed I think...they should look at Catherine St, could do a great job on that.

The O'Connell Street situation is an absolute joke at this point. The street is in a disastrous condition. Miserable broken pavements with noisy, dirty traffic constantly trundling up it. It projects a really negative image of the city. It should be obvious to everyone that it needs high quality paving and lighting, plenty of trees and some decent street furniture. To my mind we also need a pedestrianised core. The two blocks from William Street to Roches Street would seem like the most logical location for this. The arguments are predictable and we've heard them all before. But at the end of the day, the street is primarily being used as a through route from the likes of Corbally to Dooradoyle etc. Traffic brings no vibrancy whatsoever to O'Connell Street. The current arrangement has existed for decades and the street has experienced a massive period of regression and stagnation. It is still hugely underperforming. Nobody can argue that the street is operating successfully and I can't understand how advocating the maintenance of the status quo is going to revive its fortunes.

The Council has a golden opportunity to radically change the city centre. Remove the one-way system on Henry Street for example and re-route as much traffic as possible from O'Connell Street. But as usual it looks like they're going to bottle it. I think the unfortunate reality is that more people are far more bothered about getting around the city centre in their car than revitalising O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Vanquished wrote: »
    I think the unfortunate reality is that more people are far more bothered about getting around the city centre in their car than revitalising O'Connell Street.

I think you've hit the nail on the head right there.

According to the article linked above it sounds like people are avoiding Patrick street in Cork during the times it should be most accessible.

It shows how short sited people have become, if they cant park outside its a problem!

“It is a nightmare. It is really bad. You know now not to go into town in the afternoon,” she said. “I come in to town in the mornings now and it is a case of a quick in and out. I found out about it [the traffic plan] when there was no cars. I knew nothing about it.”

A nightmare she says... that she can walk around the city centre without the noise and fumes of traffic, oh and somehow this noise and traffic added to its vibrancy.
    Sad state of affairs I think.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Vanquished wrote: »
    I think the unfortunate reality is that more people are far more bothered about getting around the city centre in their car than revitalising O'Connell Street.

It's more about getting through the city to get to where I need to go though. At present there's no way to get around it so you need to go through it. If they can fix that then there'll be far less opposition to drastic changes.

And don't come back with a suggestion of public transport because it's absolutely useless in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

John_Mc wrote:
    It's more about getting through the city to get to where I need to go though. At present there's no way to get around it so you need to go through it. If they can fix that then there'll be far less opposition to drastic changes.

May I ask what's your regular route? Would it be possible to cycle? Would you take the bus or the bike if the infrastructure was safe and/or the service reliable?

zulutango wrote: »
    May I ask what's your regular route? Would it be possible to cycle? Would you take the bus or the bike if the infrastructure was safe and/or the service reliable?

Ennis Road to Roxborough so not a long distance. I've no choice but to go through town, up William St which is an absolute mess and I hate it.

I'll probably start cycling once the weather improves. I wouldn't cycle on a day when it's lashing rain, which it is most days in Limerick.

That's a huge "if" with the public transport. It would have to be an amazing improvement in service and reliability to consider it.

Most people won't live as close to work as I do though. Take the example of someone living in Corbally but working in Raheen. They've no option but to go through town. If you make it harder for them on their daily commute then they're obviously going to resist it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'll probably start cycling once the weather improves. I wouldn't cycle on a day when it's lashing rain, which it is most days in Limerick.

I started commuting by bike everyday in August and I have found this to be a misnomer. I think I've put on my waterproofs about 10 times since August and that is with cycling 5 days a week for the last 9 months. My sister started walking her kids to school around the same time and noticed the same thing. Yes it rains and you have to prepared for it when it does but, certainly, in my experience, those days have been far and few between.

• Advertisement

That's good to hear. Hopefully I find it to be the same

Advertisement