Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

dave 27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link to the council James Bond Junior,

I sent them an email this morning about the condition of the footpaths with this so called tar and the reply i got was as follows;

"I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email in relation to Footpath Maintenance.

I have been advised by James Moylan, Roads Engineer that;

'As you are aware, plans for the re-development of O’Connell Street are being drawn up and this will include a new surface for roads and pedestrian areas. In the interim it is necessary to address the deterioration of sections of the footpath in the core city centre area in the most efficient manner possible.

The works involved a two-stage process, of applying two separate layers once the final layer is applied it takes a number of weeks for the final finish to be reached as the product tones down and achieves a smooth surface.

It is very important to note that all the areas resurfaced with the new surface is exactly the same as the one it replaced. All of the footpaths surfaces were already Ecoflex, that have aged as a result of age, weather and footfall.'

Yours sincerely,

Jennifer Brett, S.O.,

Operations & Maintenance Services (North)"

A load of bo!!ox in my opinion! :confused:

Got the same thing. Keep in mind that James Moylan is just the person who was hired. I asked for the person who carried out this decision AND who OK'd James to do it, because he didn't do it for the sake of it and I don't imagine he would like to be put on blast as their fall guy either.

This was an actual decision someone made. My whole point is - if the plans are ONLY BEING DRAWN UP - why was the Ecoflex laid down now? And why is it still being put down? I don't recall the paths being that bad, at all.

There was definitely something dodgy going on here for this to be carried out so early...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I wonder did they get many claims of people tripping over on the previous surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

What was wrong with the previous surface? Can't recall ever noting that is was bad or dangerous to warrant resurfacing.

I mean. Bedford Row and Thomas street on a wet day are lethal in comparison. At least they look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What was wrong with the previous surface? Can't recall ever noting that is was bad or dangerous to warrant resurfacing.

I mean. Bedford Row and Thomas street on a wet day are lethal in comparison. At least they look nice.

I was out for a walk with herself and the tarmac is already in shíte with chewing gum and dirt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought people must be exaggerating, but no, it's true! Those paths look brutal. I haven't been in town much recently but I'm in tonight and I'm not impressed. The stretch outside Marco Polo, WokKing, Takichi, etc is (as mentioned above) ruined already. As of it wasn't bad enough to begin with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

The justification for this is tragic.

As you are aware, plans for the re-development of O’Connell Street are being drawn up and this will include a new surface for roads and pedestrian areas. In the interim...
    Ah, so this is just an interim measure?

"It is very important to note that all the areas resurfaced with the new surface is exactly the same as the one it replaced."
    But now you are saying the previous layer of this Ecoflex crap has been down so long it needs to be repaired? How long is an interim measure in LCCC?

Walking around Dublin this evening and was admiring these pretty basic concrete pavers. Are these really that cost prohibitive? Maybe the materials aren't but knowing LCCC they would probably have to dig up the street for 1-2 years to lay them.

451498.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Very nice, how feckin simple would it be to achieve that look, we cant even get the pavement matching on opposite sides of a street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's too expensive for Limerick. Tarmac does the job just as well.

zulutango wrote: »

It's not tarmac, it's ECOFLEX™ goddammit!! LCCC engineers must despair at thickos like us unable to distinguish our tarmacs from our asphalts from our ECOFLEX™.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In fairness if they spent the money (and caused massive disruption) to put paving slabs down only to rip them up again in 2 years when they start the remodelling the street there would be even more uproar about wasted money. What they're putting down may not be visually appealing, but there's no way they're going spend even more money on something that's temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

In fairness if they spent the money (and caused massive disruption) to put paving slabs down only to rip them up again in 2 years when they start the remodelling the street there would be even more uproar about wasted money. What they're putting down may not be visually appealing, but there's no way they're going spend even more money on something that's temporary.

Why are you trying to reason with perpetual moaners?

Sorry, I didn't realise they had plans to rip up Catherine Street in two years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The funny thing is its asphalt - they use it a lot in car parks in the US and I've smelt worse examples of it over there. But the big thing is the cost, its incredibly cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

But why rip them up in the first place?

They have been using this stuff for years on O'Connell St. so how long is temporary? On Google street view you can see this stuff (or something similar) was well in use as far back as 2009 between Roches St and Thomas St so it's been temporary for at least 10 years with another 4-5 years of temporary in the pipeline!.
    451532.jpg

But, sure, it's grand, what are ye moaners complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Even after the remodeling the footpath will still be the footpath, so why cant we just decide on a material and co ordinate the whole city with that material, the footpaths could be re done immediately and then incorporate it into the rest of the street or any street if it's fully or partial pedestrianised, they should take a day trip out to the university to see how it's done, this is half arsed

phog wrote: »
    Why are you trying to reason with perpetual moaners?

Limerick CCC are currently tendering for the creation of 'compelling and coherent' brand identity as part of its programme “to lead the transformation of the city into an urban centre that is delivering as a key national catalyst of growth and helping to deliver balanced regional development on the island of Ireland.”

According to Laura Ryan of LCCC, "Limerick is now, thankfully, in a place that it can make a bold and creative declaration that it is a hugely attractive and competitive location to work live and play.”

When LCCC say one thing but do something that completely contradicts it, I don't think it's moaning to highlight or criticise both their hypocrisy and their continued mismanagement of the city.

Limerick’s Resurgence to be Amplified with New Brand Identity

An image like this looks wonderful but unfortunately, people do not experience the city from sky.
    Limerick%20City%20Riverfront%20810x456.jpg?itok=p3rqP9Q_

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

LeoD wrote: »
    Limerick CCC are currently tendering for the creation of 'compelling and coherent' brand identity as part of its programme “to lead the transformation of the city into an urban centre that is delivering as a key national catalyst of growth and helping to deliver balanced regional development on the island of Ireland.”

According to Laura Ryan of LCCC, "Limerick is now, thankfully, in a place that it can make a bold and creative declaration that it is a hugely attractive and competitive location to work live and play.”

When LCCC say one thing but do something that completely contradicts it, I don't think it's moaning to highlight or criticise both their hypocrisy and their continued mismanagement of the city.

Limerick’s Resurgence to be Amplified with New Brand Identity

An image like this looks wonderful but unfortunately, people do not experience the city from sky.
    Limerick%20City%20Riverfront%20810x456.jpg?itok=p3rqP9Q_

:confused:

They have been using this stuff for years on O'Connell St. so how long is temporary? On Google street view you can see this stuff (or something similar) was well in use as far back as 2009 between Roches St and Thomas St so it's been temporary for at least 10 years with another 4-5 years of temporary in the pipeline!.

So if it's been there for 10 years, whats the big bloody uproar about? Where has the constant uproar about the state of the footpaths been for the last decade? O'Connell St is going to be dug up in the next few years, so I've no issue with them not spending a fortune on a temporary surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

dave 27 wrote: »
    But why rip them up in the first place?

Purely speculation here, but I would guess that the existing Ecoflex/tar surface had deteriorated to such an extent that people were tripping/falling and had started claiming. But then again, that's a very cynical view - people wouldn't resort to that, would they :pac:

So if it's been there for 10 years, whats the big bloody uproar about? Where has the constant uproar about the state of the footpaths been for the last decade? O'Connell St is going to be dug up in the next few years, so I've no issue with them not spending a fortune on a temporary surface.

You're dead right. Sure, it looks grand. And so what if it's being rolled out on other streets besides O'Connell Street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Purely speculation here, but I would guess that the existing Ecoflex/tar surface had deteriorated to such an extent that people were tripping/falling and had started claiming. But then again, that's a very cynical view - people wouldn't resort to that, would they :pac:

I nearly tripped on the new eco flex on Patrick’s St the other day. It takes a while to settle so there’s a bit of a lip where manholes etc are at present.

So if it's been there for 10 years, whats the big bloody uproar about?

Limerick has been an unemployment black spot for years, why get upset about it now?
    Limerick has underperformed economically for years, why get upset about it now?
    Limerick city centre has been in decline for years, why get upset about it now?

Limerick has been an unemployment black spot for years, why get upset about it now?

What on earth are you on about? People have been complaining about those things for years. Nobody has been complaining about the surface treatment of a footpath that's been there for a decade.

What a ridiculous post. Some people need to calm down a realise whats actually important in the world.

What on earth are you on about? People have been complaining about those things for years. Nobody has been complaining about the surface treatment of a footpath that's been there for a decade.

You're making a really silly point, Cookiemunster. Just because there wasn't a big internet furore ten years ago doesn't mean that people don't have a legitimate cause for protest this time around.

At the end of the day the Council's has been rank amateurish in its management of the public realm in the last couple of decades. Any fool can see that. It's a good thing that people are demanding better standards now.

You're making a really silly point, Cookiemunster. Just because there wasn't a big internet furore ten years ago doesn't mean that people don't have a legitimate cause for protest this time around.

At the end of the day the Council's has been rank amateurish in its management of the public realm in the last couple of decades. Any fool can see that. It's a good thing that people are demanding better standards now.

Conflating high unemployment and poor economic performance with a footpath is ridiculous. As I said somethings in the world are important and some aren't. (The footpath's the unimportant one)

Do you not see a connection between having a high quality public realm and attracting people and companies to the city? Do you think Uber would have set up on Catherine Street if the public realm work hadn't been done there a few years before and made it a physically attractive location? Or had that nothing to do with it. Of course it did. There's a whole chapter on it in the Limerick 2030 report on the importance of high quality public realm for the economic well being of the city. You are simplifying it as an inconsequential issue when it's clearly a very important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

So if it's been there for 10 years, whats the big bloody uproar about?

Have you actually been in Limerick in the last few years, there is a job in Limerick for anyone who actually wants one and its been that way for a good number of years now
    People always give out about outsiders having a negative outlook and impression of Limerick. What hope has the place if our own are leading the charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What a ridiculous post. Some people need to calm down a realise whats actually important in the world.

Because the city is finally on the up and needs to attract more people/shops/jobs to the city and by doing this half-arsed job on the footpaths doesnt give a great impression.

The slabs on Catherine st from Roches to Thomas St are what is needed. 4-5 years isnt a temporary surface ffs.

Advertisement