Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pigtown wrote: »
    It's disappointing that they'll have to reduce the height from 7 to 6 stories. Surely Henry Street is the best bet for non-riverside higher density buildings.

I'm actually confused about this as the project was supposed to be 9 stories high. The only thing I can't think of is that it's 7 floors of bedrooms above 2 stories of retail/restaurants, so maybe it's now 6 floors of bedrooms and 8 stories in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

zulutango wrote: »
    Is all and every development in Limerick City positive?

Certainly not but there does seem to be a cohort that oppose all development.

For example I asked on here not so long ago when people were giving out about the rugby museum causing an old Georgian building to be demolished what it was about that particular building that was worthy of protection because to the untrained eye it is as ugly as mortal sin. There was no reply beyond the year/period it was built, so that seemed to be just a perspective where you can put the 'Georgian' tag on any old kip and you will have people railing against doing anything to change or improve it.

I understand this development has divided opinion in aesthetic terms. I like it personally. It's a negative to be losing city centre apartments but balanced to some degree by the prospect of the creation of several jobs while it's being built and afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

keane2097 wrote: »

For example I asked on here not so long ago when people were giving out about the rugby museum causing an old Georgian building to be demolished what it was about that particular building that was worthy of protection because to the untrained eye it is as ugly as mortal sin. There was no reply beyond the year/period it was built, so that seemed to be just a perspective where you can put the 'Georgian' tag on any old kip and you will have people railing against doing anything to change or improve it.

I understand this development has divided opinion in aesthetic terms. I like it personally. It's a negative to be losing city centre apartments but balanced to some degree by the prospect of the creation of several jobs while it's being built and afterwards.
    We have jobs the city is full of them it's apartments we need and these were quite unique in being one of the only residential Mill building in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's a hideous design (savoy extension) and doesnt add anything to the site. It takes away some residential space and two established businesses (one that is nearly always busy). Why couldnt they extend the Savoy upwards if they were looking to add more rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Yeah the design was seven floors of 5 bedrooms each over two floors of retail/cafes. I would have thought that losing five bedrooms would greatly impact on the viability of the project so I wonder will they re think the second floor of retail and cafe space? As far as I remember the intention was to have a separate cafe from the hotel and a shop upstairs so maybe they'll cut these out.

It's ironic that people are complaining about modifications to the Mill building when it was changed a bit during its last redevelopment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's ironic that people are complaining about modifications to the Mill building when it was changed a bit during its last redevelopment

It was changed for sure, but the work was fairly sensitive to the existing structure. With the current plans they may as well just knock it altogether. What they're building is fairly grotesque in my opinion. There's also the issue that city centre residential accommodation is being lost.

I like the proposed Rugby Experience but I think the Mill proposal is beyond hideous. The Hanging Gardens, by contrast, is a great example of good architecture and sensitive treatment of a heritage building. The Mill is just architectural vomit. As for the Rugby Experience, while it's a very striking design the key issue there is that it's in the curtilage of the city's primary Architectural Conservation Area (ACA1) so that's a very important issue to consider. While the building itself might have a lot of merit, the context can't be ignored, and in this case there's a legal basis for preserving the existing buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

It was changed for sure, but the work was fairly sensitive to the existing structure. With the current plans they may as well just knock it altogether. What they're building is fairly grotesque in my opinion. There's also the issue that city centre residential accommodation is being lost.

Yes, if the building was abandoned and was an eyesore then by all means do something like the proposed extension, but it’s not, they are gutting a perfectly good and attractive building. This unfortunately is consistent with limerick where most buildings of merit are replaced with cheaper structures

I suppose it comes down to architectural taste. I really like the design of the proposed extension. It's unfortunate that apartments are being lost in the process but that's not a reason to refuse permission

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I suppose it comes down to architectural taste. I really like the design of the proposed extension. It's unfortunate that apartments are being lost in the process but that's not a reason to refuse permission

+1

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote:

There's no accounting for taste :D

Healy Partners should be struck off for this crime against the architectural profession, in my opinion. Imagine having this cornflakes box sticking out of a refuse bin on your cv. The only reason these philistines aren't knocking it is because they know that wouldn't be allowed. So, instead they've come up with this abomination. Shame on them.

Meh, there are far worse offenders in the city.

In other news, a plan to convert offices to 14 studio apartments at Steamboat Quay has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala. They have issues with parking provision and the amount of common open space planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I agree and think from seeing the initial proposals/ drawings it works well ,its a pity that a few business will need to move and especially more so for the residents. The businesses should be ok and may be able to move somewhere nice and should be able to keep a good chunk of there business hopefully
    Im all for perserving what is important

Im all for keep as much of our historic /georgian buildings as possible and not just the facades. The mill is keeping its core while being modernised (lets be honest its a mill ) and is a nice incorporation of old and new for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I like the proposed Rugby Experience but I think the Mill proposal is beyond hideous. The Hanging Gardens, by contrast, is a great example of good architecture and sensitive treatment of a heritage building. The Mill is just architectural vomit. As for the Rugby Experience, while it's a very striking design the key issue there is that it's in the curtilage of the city's primary Architectural Conservation Area (ACA1) so that's a very important issue to consider. While the building itself might have a lot of merit, the context can't be ignored, and in this case there's a legal basis for preserving the existing buildings.
    how you can look at all three and see a difference is beyond me , as ive said i think all 3 are fine and somewhat sensitive to the original buildings, but they are all basically glass structures put on old buildings ? I think they are better than what we've added to buildings in past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

It’s anticipated the new library – as revealed by the Limerick Leader two weeks ago – will be a cutting edge world class facility, which will embrace traditional library functionality, but also digital story-telling walls, and multi-sensory experiences.

It will be across a mix of a three-storey new build merging into a three/four-storey existing structure on Rutland Street that will face out onto the junction with Francis Street, creating a new aesthetic for the city centre from the former Town Hall. (Limerick Leader)

Thumps up from me that the old Town Hall will be used in housing the new library.

Looks like there's a bit of steam gathering in opposition to the extremely underwhelming plans for O'Connell Street's redevelopment
    “We are looking to make this a future-proofed plan, one that isn’t redundant by the time it’s built. Unfortunately, the unelected staff won’t listen to the people of Limerick. We will have to make submissions to An Bord Pleanala and hope they themselves make direct revisions to this plan,” the City East councillor said.

“Unless changes are made, it will be going to An Bord Pleanala without the support of all the local councillors. Indeed, myself and others will make submissions objecting to the waste of millions upon millions of local tax payers’ money,” he added.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/319445/limerick-council-members-may-object-to-plans-for-9m-oconnell-street-upgrade.html#.WypYlwgTFqs.twitter

Also see an update on the Opera site from Skyscraper City:
    The latest update on the project. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/plans-transformational-opera-site-project-unveiled

There will be an application to ABP in the Autumn, with construction to begin in 2019.
    The project includes a “new living room” for Limerick - what will be Ireland’s most cutting-edge library, a world-class facility that will embrace traditional library functionality but also the digital era, with digital story-telling walls and multi-sensory experiences that strengthen the user-friendliness of the facility.

The project includes a “new living room” for Limerick - what will be Ireland’s most cutting-edge library, a world-class facility that will embrace traditional library functionality but also the digital era, with digital story-telling walls and multi-sensory experiences that strengthen the user-friendliness of the facility.

Michael Street will also get a six-storey new build that will accommodate office/ innovation/ education, retail and food/ beverage space.

Another parcel, on the corner of Patrick Street and Ellen Street, will see residential, an Apart Hotel, retail and food & beverage space developed across a five-storey new build and an existing four storey structure. There will also be further opportunities for exemplarily residential in the Georgian building on Rutland Street, with the ground floor of the building reserved for retail.

In all, some 60% of the site will accommodate Office/ Innovation/ Education space, with 15% set aside for residential, comprising upwards of 100 units between residential and an Aparthotel (short term lettings). Some 10% will be developed for retail and restaurants/ café/ bars.

Interesting the bit in bold. 'Upwards of 100 units' sounds ok, but if they are mostly AirBnB ****e it will be a bit of a joke.

The city centre doesn't strike me as being particularly stuck for hotel rooms.

What is the intention for the unaccounted for 15%?

The city centre doesn't strike me as being particularly stuck for hotel rooms.

Both the Savoy and the Strand are expanding, and there's a new hotel opening on Bedford Row, so that all suggests an increased demand. Or maybe, like before, there's some kind of tax break that is being availed of.

The Hunt museum has applied for permission to remove the railings at the rear of the building, connecting the river with Rutland St. (assuming they keep the gates open)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Check out the Limerick lanes story on the leader website. Hidden Limerick i think its called.

Its one of the best ideas floated in years for the City

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Great idea and would work but it is highly unlikely to happen the shops on O'Connell st would most likely kick up saying that it is reducing the foot fall to them. In the long term it would be great for the city it would draw people back in.

The council have committed funds to the extension of the UL greenway to Montpelier. Would be a fantastic project but unless there's a pre-existing right of way I don't see how they can negotiate with all of the landowners along the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

pigtown wrote:
    The council have committed funds to the extension of the UL greenway to Montpelier.

Where did you see that? Would be amazing if so

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/07/03/key-tourism-projects-targeted-by-e2-3-million-fund/
    It's one of a number of projects to get funding in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

The council have committed funds to the extension of the UL greenway to Montpelier. Would be a fantastic project but unless there's a pre-existing right of way I don't see how they can negotiate with all of the landowners along the river.

That would be fantastic if completed. I use the cyclepath to commute from town to Castletroy at the moment and that extra stretch would open up handy commuting for a lot of people.

That's really fantastic news! I wonder how quickly it can happen. Not too difficult from an engineering point of view but I can't imagine the land acquisition will be straight forward.

Other options for a greenway in that direction could include connecting to the old N7 and majorly upgrading the cycle lanes along the road, or possibly regenerating the Errina canal and providing a parallel path.

To be a greenway it really has to be set apart from the roads, so the N7 couldn't ever be considered as one. Limerick and Tipp Councils spent about 900k putting in 54km of cycle lane along that road a few years back. The only problem was that it was a painted white line and fairly sub-standard!

It's really great that it has dawned on Irish local authorities how beneficial greenways are. It took them a while but I would expect a fairly rapid increase in the number now that they know there's very solid economic reasons for developing them. Mayo deserves a lot of credit for getting things rolling a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

To be a greenway it really has to be set apart from the roads, so the N7 couldn't ever be considered as one. Limerick and Tipp Councils spent about 900k putting in 54km of cycle lane along that road a few years back. The only problem was that it was a painted white line and fairly sub-standard!

It's really great that it has dawned on Irish local authorities how beneficial greenways are. It took them a while but I would expect a fairly rapid increase in the number now that they know there's very solid economic reasons for developing them. Mayo deserves a lot of credit for getting things rolling a few years back.

900K Really?? It's just a line of paint on the old road! I cycled it a couple of years back and you are literally just in the old hard shoulder, has it been upgraded since? Would be great to see the extension to the existing path along the river

Advertisement