Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

RINO87 wrote: »
    900K Really?? It's just a line of paint on the old road! I cycled it a couple of years back and you are literally just in the old hard shoulder, has it been upgraded since? Would be great to see the extension to the existing path along the river

Yep, have a read of this article from 6 years ago.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2011/09/06/cycle-lane-critics-told-use-it-or-lose-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

Nearly half a million to "remove existing road markings". Astonishing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15 kiss_my_face

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

tweek84 wrote: »
    Great idea and would work but it is highly unlikely to happen the shops on O'Connell st would most likely kick up saying that it is reducing the foot fall to them. In the long term it would be great for the city it would draw people back in.

I suppose you could offer them proper pedestrianisation of the city centre as an alternative and let them take their pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Whats going on at Northern Trust? Cranes still there yet no sign of the new extention being occupied?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Shn99 wrote: »
    Whats going on at Northern Trust? Cranes still there yet no sign of the new extention being occupied?

A lot of works going on the last couple of months now in the new extentions. Rumours a software company will be moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

A lot of works going on the last couple of months now in the new extentions. Rumours a software company will be moving in

excellent, any words on who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I thought it was their UBS acquisition that will be moving in there..That building will be for servicing UBS (under NT)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/324264/limerick-councillor-says-planned-social-housing-estate-needs-mixed-development.html

Great idea to set up a ghetto beside a stretch of road that has the most expensive houses in the county.

I'm repeatedly astonished at the incompetence of Limerick Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

John_Mc wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/324264/limerick-councillor-says-planned-social-housing-estate-needs-mixed-development.html

Great idea to set up a ghetto beside a stretch of road that has the most expensive houses in the county.

I'm repeatedly astonished at the incompetence of Limerick Council

"Planned development". Surely this will be objected to by nearby residents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

John_Mc wrote:

Surely the issue here is that they are building on a flood plain and nature reserve rather than upsetting the posh neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Doesn't limerick have more than enough dodgy areas without adding to some of the nicer parts of the city - Its hard to find somewhere nice to live around the city centre as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

panda100 wrote: »
    Surely the issue here is that they are building on a flood plain and nature reserve rather than upsetting the posh neighbours

There's obviously the issue with the floodplain but a bigger issue is building ghettos in this day and age.

Limerick should know more than anywhere else in the country the result of building ghettos rather than mixing social and none social housing.

I wouldn't blame the "posh" people who paid 500k and more for their house to have a problem with a ghetto being built on their doorstep either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Doesn't limerick have more than enough dodgy areas without adding to some of the nicer parts of the city - Its hard to find somewhere nice to live around the city centre as it is.
    Exactly. Without wanting to start a debate here, there are always going to be more affluent areas of any city, which attract a certain demographic who are entitled to some privacy, security, and to live in a generally nice area. Maybe I'm being idealistic here, but there are probably many important members of society (doctors, professors, etc.) living around North Circular Road, who have worked hard (for the most part) to achieve the lifestyle they have. I don't live in the area, but I'd feel pretty annoyed if I paid 700k for the right to live in a nice area, and then to see some freeloader living across the road from me. Just my opinion (which in this PC world, I'll probably get crucified for! :D)

The particular development isn't on a flood plain and isn't in the nature reserve either, although it is beside a Special Area of Conservation. Because it's a Council development it doesn't go through the normal planning process, so people won't get a chance to object. The Councillors do have the power to vote it down though.

Separate to this development, there already is permission granted for about 200 houses nearby. These ones are in the SAC and in the flood plain and they're the typical bland semi-detached homes that you see on the outskirts of towns up and down the country. I've a bigger issue with that development. There's a further site (across the Condell Road) which is owned by NAMA and they are looking to build about 100 houses. This one is not in a flood plain or SAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

zulutango wrote: »

Separate to this development, there already is permission granted for about 200 houses nearby. These ones are in the SAC and in the flood plain and they're the typical bland semi-detached homes that you see on the outskirts of towns up and down the country. I've a bigger issue with that development. There's a further site (across the Condell Road) which is owned by NAMA and they are looking to build about 100 houses. This one is not in a flood plain or SAC.

I believe that 200 house development was to be located further beyond the site of the proposed council housing development. Utilising the same link road that will extend from the new signalised junction to be build on the Condell Road. I'd imagine that permission has probably expired at this point.

The 100 house scheme across the road was submitted by the appointed receiver for the assets of the original developer. The application received a huge amount of objections from local residents and is now with An Bord Pleanala. It is likely that the site will be put up for sale if permission is secured. Just like the former Ardhu/Clarion Suites hotel site on the Ennis Road.

I don't have any problem with new housing being developed in this location. It is an established residential area after all. My issue is the form and density proposed. Apartments and townhouses/duplex units should be the predominant unit type. Not wasteful semi-d's.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Is access to and from this site only the Condell Road ?

mart 23 wrote:

For all three sites access will be on to the Condell Road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mart 23 wrote: »

There'll be a new signalised junction between the Clonmacken roundabout and the first set of pedestrian lights on the Condell Rd.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1053070&format=jpeg

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1053069&format=jpeg

Although looking at the planning, it looks like this development will have its own junction a few hundred meters up the road from the new signalised junction and will be totally isolated from the adjacent development. So it literally will be a social housing ghetto.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1175930&format=jpeg

The planners in this city really are clueless. This development should be accessed from the new signalised junction. But no, were going to get two new junctions within a few hundred meters of each other on on of the main arteries into the city......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

There'll be a new signalised junction between the Clonmacken roundabout and the first set of pedestrian lights on the Condell Rd.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1053070&format=jpeg

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1053069&format=jpeg

Although looking at the planning, it looks like this development will have its own junction a few hundred meters up the road from the new signalised junction and will be totally isolated from the adjacent development. So it literally will be a social housing ghetto.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1175930&format=jpeg

The planners in this city really are clueless. This development should be accessed from the new signalised junction. But no, were going to get two new junctions within a few hundred meters of each other on on of the main arteries into the city......[/QUO

That would be a traffic engineering call, planners only attach conditions regarding road they don't unilaterally decide to condition junctions.

The planners in this city really are clueless. This development should be accessed from the new signalised junction. But no, were going to get two new junctions within a few hundred meters of each other on on of the main arteries into the city......

Fat chance of them increasing the speed limit there now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/325044/plans-in-place-to-double-size-of-suburban-limerick-shopping-centre.html

Plans to increase the size of the Castletroy shopping centre,
    Not sure will it get planning approval with the apparent drive on to prioritise the city
    Massive cachement area though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'd just love ,even if not going ahead with the pedestrianisation of o'connell street, that they'd do something with the area outside penny's /roches ! If they just put down something pathwise to have it as all one level it would make it more appealing and actually make it seem like a decent space, rather than a section of street corned off that looks odd for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

See there's the possiblty that Ormston House could be closing as the building is up for sale on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

See there's the possiblty that Ormston House could be closing as the building is up for sale on the open market.

Dont see the big deal to be honest there are plenty of other art gallerys and exhibition spaces around.

Owners should be complemented for the use they gave for years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kilburn wrote: »
    Dont see the big deal to be honest there are plenty of other art gallerys and exhibition spaces around.

Such as? There are no practice or performance spaces in The Hunt Museum or the LCGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

/me waits for the return of the gap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Such as? There are no practice or performance spaces in The Hunt Museum or the LCGA.

I am sure there is space in the new museum site, the council owns dozens of buildings around town also which would be more suitable, there is the church in Johns square, Frank MCCourt museum has loads of empty space.

A private individual cant be expected to leave a building empty for years its not their problem there are no practice or performance spaces to be fair, 12 k rent for that building a year is brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The old Lyric cinema must be available.

I really don't understand the outcry over the sale of of Ormston House or the appeals to the LA to buy it - how much property do we want the LA to own in the city?

Advertisement