Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

kilburn wrote: »
    Dont see the big deal to be honest there are plenty of other art gallerys and exhibition spaces around.

Owners should be complemented for the use they gave for years.

Ormston House is much more than an art gallery and exhibition space. I am not an artist in any shape or form. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid the annoying LSAD types around town. Ormston is the only space in the city that is free to be used by community groups. I have approached them to run events on loads of different aspects of Limerick life and they have accommodated. If it wasn't for Ormston House we would be paying for hotel rooms or other venues that we do not have the money for. I think the physical space that it is in and the location really is ideal. The fact that you can look in the window and it's in such a central location makes it very accessible. If it were to be moved, I wonder would it have the same impact as it does know.

It'd great to see how much the Council have done already to try and retain the space. I think Niamh NicGhabhan made the excellent point on Live 95fm yesterday that the council appear to be obsessed with building just office space but they should really accommodate cultural, residential and office space all into the same building. There is a possibility of doing something like that if they acquire this building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Dont remember such drama when Hook and Ladder moved into their building which was used for similar.

Limerick city council are totally incompetent and if they continue buying buildings across the city the whole place will be derelict.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

But that's the thing, Ormston House wouldn't be "derelict". It's become a busy spot and is used by many different groups in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Who runs Central Buildings on O'Connell Street? Way smaller space than Ormston but I thought was available to book for community groups.

Ormston is a fantastic building though and should be saved as a public space.

Edit: Found their FB and seems to be tied the church there. Have been to a couple of things there and didn't realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Who runs Central Buildings on O'Connell Street? Way smaller space than Ormston but I thought was available to book for community groups.

It's run by a lovely fellow who is part of the church. They are very accommodating also but I think you have to pay a fee. It's not much from what I recall though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

geotrig wrote: »
    /me waits for the return of the gap :pac:

And the cool comic shop in the basement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    And the cool comic shop in the basement

Forbidden Planet. I went in every time I was in town. Huge loss when it closed as I had to go to Dublin or Cork to get the books and comics I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Forbidden Planet. I went in every time I was in town. Huge loss when it closed as I had to go to Dublin or Cork to get the books and comics I wanted.

But they moved up to Roche's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

you and me know that was way too far for anyone to walk to.:pac:

also it had a bit more coolness /weirdness being in the basement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

geotrig wrote: »
    you and me know that was way too far for anyone to walk to.:pac:

also it had a bit more coolness /weirdness being in the basement

Basement was cooler alright, Biblios was also nice but no back issues.

Back on topic, the sale of Ormston and resulting s#it storm has me perplexed. Yes it has become a focal point for the arts community however it is still a privately owned building and the owner has the right to sell his property and do with it as he sees fit.

There are plenty of other vacant buildings around the city which would be ideal for this type of use. Either that or someone come up with the funds to purchase it for the sole purpose of being a cultural hub, but the outrage that's being expressed is positively depressing.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    But they moved up to Roche's Street.

That didn't last long IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Same crap poured on the footpaths from thomondgate up to hassets cross cheapskates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

kilburn wrote: »
    Same crap poured on the footpaths from thomondgate up to hassets cross cheapskates

They were doing it last night. They appear to have nothing but contempt for the city they are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

source wrote: »
    Back on topic, the sale of Ormston and resulting s#it storm has me perplexed. Yes it has become a focal point for the arts community however it is still a privately owned building and the owner has the right to sell his property and do with it as he sees fit.

There are plenty of other vacant buildings around the city which would be ideal for this type of use. Either that or someone come up with the funds to purchase it for the sole purpose of being a cultural hub, but the outrage that's being expressed is positively depressing.
    Are you surprised, Twitter has become the ultimate platform for faux outrage these days. Load of rhetoric drummed-up by politicians and "influencers" without anything meaningful ever being done

zulutango wrote: »
    They were doing it last night. They appear to have nothing but contempt for the city they are running.

They've actually dug up and properly relaid loads of footpaths around the city. Most recently I remember them doing it around Perry Square/Mallow St.

I've said it before, but I've no issue with this stuff being out down. And those who thinks it only happens in Limerick should travel more.

They've actually dug up and properly relaid loads of footpaths around the city. Most recently I remember them doing it around Perry Square/Mallow St.

I've said it before, but I've no issue with this stuff being out down. And those who thinks it only happens in Limerick should travel more.

You've no issue with poured concrete as paving in the Georgian part of the city? This is the cheapest, crudest way to do footpaths. You don't get that in cities that actually care about how their streets look. I've travelled a lot and lived in a few different countries, including very poor ones, and their standards tend to be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The practice of laying poured concrete foothpaths on city centre streets is absolutely pathetic and shameful. They are cheap, ugly and are reflective of a major lack of ambition by the Council. Primary city centre streets should be paved in appropriate, traditional materials such as granite and limestone.

So ye're unhappy with broken concrete footpaths getting temporary coatings to make them safe, but ye're also unhappy with broken concrete footpaths actually being replaced? OK. No pleasing some then I see.

So ye're unhappy with broken concrete footpaths getting temporary coatings to make them safe, but ye're also unhappy with broken concrete footpaths actually being replaced? OK. No pleasing some then I see.

Misrepresenting another person's position is a ****ty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

panda100 wrote: »
    Ormston House is much more than an art gallery and exhibition space. I am not an artist in any shape or form. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid the annoying LSAD types around town. Ormston is the only space in the city that is free to be used by community groups. I have approached them to run events on loads of different aspects of Limerick life and they have accommodated. If it wasn't for Ormston House we would be paying for hotel rooms or other venues that we do not have the money for. I think the physical space that it is in and the location really is ideal. The fact that you can look in the window and it's in such a central location makes it very accessible. If it were to be moved, I wonder would it have the same impact as it does know.

It'd great to see how much the Council have done already to try and retain the space. I think Niamh NicGhabhan made the excellent point on Live 95fm yesterday that the council appear to be obsessed with building just office space but they should really accommodate cultural, residential and office space all into the same building. There is a possibility of doing something like that if they acquire this building.

Ormston house would be a great spot for a Starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Starbucks would be a great spot for Ormston house.

Fixed that for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

There is a tender on E Tenders for a 60 bed modular type building for UHL

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

And those who thinks it only happens in Limerick should travel more.

I’ve seen this in plenty of other cities but never as widespread as it is here. A good percentage of Limerick city streets are now covered in this material. Also I have never seen this type of material used on prime city center streets of any city. No self respecting city authority would let their Main Street decay to the point this was an option. Where I have seen it used, it is used sparingly because people realize this is not a good option.

In Vancouver they stenciled a maple leaf design in it and in Los Angeles they had a stencil type design but also sprayed a surface on it so it gave a subtle reflection in light. The problem is that the local authority here don’t really care how our streets look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Open House is back this October and the Gardens International site will be open to the public. It has really taken shape in recent weeks and a lot of the external work seems to be coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I was there last year, it will be very interesting to see the progress made.
    As an aside, the organisers are open to suggestions for buildings people would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Open House is back this October and the Gardens International site will be open to the public. It has really taken shape in recent weeks and a lot of the external work seems to be coming to an end.

Our time frame for the completion is October. The fit out of the top three floors will stretch to December really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Probably asked here loads but does anyone have solid information about the bishops quay development? I thought this got the go ahead.

dave 27 wrote: »
    Probably asked here loads but does anyone have solid information about the bishops quay development? I thought this got the go ahead.

When they got ABP approval last September they said they'd be onsite by January. There's been no other word since. There's been rumours (on here I think) of them resubmitting planning for a change of use from office to apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

When they got ABP approval last September they said they'd be onsite by January. There's been no other word since. There's been rumours (on here I think) of them resubmitting planning for a change of use from office to apartments.

I wonder is there a contact for the contractor/developer planning this to get info?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Any plans afoot for tearing down H St Garda station and moving them elsewhere.... After redevelopment of the Eircom site on the Riverside the Garda station will be the only eyesore left as you cross Sarsfield and Shannon bridge going into city centre

Advertisement