Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

source wrote: »
    Crane is being taken down today at the Gardens International site.

When will we next see a crane operating in Limerick city centre I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Vanquished wrote: »
    When will we next see a crane operating in Limerick city centre I wonder?

Strand hotel expansion? or else the Opera site

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Shn99 wrote: »
    Strand hotel expansion? or else the Opera site

The Rugby Experience maybe? Bishops Quay?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yea-Ive actually written to the council about how bad the city center has gotton.

I just got a generic "we'll send this onto the relevant person".

Ive also written to Simon Harris office, to tell him that I would not be voting for Fine Gael again, with the disaster that is Limerick hospital. Got an email to tell me that the government dont have anything to do with the running of the hospital. What a shocker. The GOVERNMENT. ahahaha

Great letter writer :o

This country, its politics, the power and the money, the ****ty roads and decayed city centers. Luckily I spent a nice day in Kerry yesterday swimming in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

New Part 8 planning application for 43 residential units on the Condell Road. Application No: 188008

Description:
    (a) Provision of 43 no. residential units comprising; 23 no. two storey units and a three storey block comprising 20 no. units. The unit mix comprises; 3 no. 1 bedroom units; 19 no. 2 bedroom units; 17 no. 3 bedroom units and 4 no. 4 bedroom units. The dwelling types comprise: 17 no. houses and 26 no. apartments / duplexes; (b) New access road to the site from the Condell Road, realignment of the Condell Road to facilitate new junction; pedestrian and cycle crossing at the new entrance; new roads, footpaths and turning spaces within the site; 83 no. car parking spaces; (c) Hard landscaping including; bin stores, privacy strips to front gardens, rear garden walls and installation of street lighting; (d) Soft landscaping including planting and trees; (e) Construction of and / or remedial works to boundaries with adjacent sites; (f) Construction of new watermain, new foul sewer connection, storm sewer, and surface water drainage systems; (g) All associated site works.

This is the site location:
    457872.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tefral wrote: »
    Uber are fitting out the 1st floor of the Thomas Street block adding another 100 people to that section alone.
    There is a new Mace shop going in on the ground floor unit also of the same block on the corner.
    Missed this, that's great news tbf. When the International Gardens goes live, there will be a significant city center workforce during the day. Now if we could only translate that workforce into city center population...

LeoD wrote: »
    New Part 8 planning application for 43 residential units on the Condell Road. Application No: 188008

Description:
    (a) Provision of 43 no. residential units comprising; 23 no. two storey units and a three storey block comprising 20 no. units. The unit mix comprises; 3 no. 1 bedroom units; 19 no. 2 bedroom units; 17 no. 3 bedroom units and 4 no. 4 bedroom units. The dwelling types comprise: 17 no. houses and 26 no. apartments / duplexes; (b) New access road to the site from the Condell Road, realignment of the Condell Road to facilitate new junction; pedestrian and cycle crossing at the new entrance; new roads, footpaths and turning spaces within the site; 83 no. car parking spaces; (c) Hard landscaping including; bin stores, privacy strips to front gardens, rear garden walls and installation of street lighting; (d) Soft landscaping including planting and trees; (e) Construction of and / or remedial works to boundaries with adjacent sites; (f) Construction of new watermain, new foul sewer connection, storm sewer, and surface water drainage systems; (g) All associated site works.

This is the site location:

Was discussed last month about 5 or 6 pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was discussed last month about 5 or 6 pages back.

This is a differemt development than what I saw

Mc Love wrote: »
    This is a differemt development than what I saw

It's the same social housing development on the Condell Road that the local residents were complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Was the other development not on the opposite site of the Condell Road though?
    Just on a ponit however, is this whole area not liable to ( potential ) flooding? I always assumed that was why it was undeveloped , despite being so close to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

topcat72 wrote: »
    Was the other development not on the opposite site of the Condell Road though?
    Just on a ponit however, is this whole area not liable to ( potential ) flooding? I always assumed that was why it was undeveloped , despite being so close to the city centre.

It was hence why I said that. I dont believe that new development is prone to flooding as it's elevated

Mc Love wrote: »
    It was hence why I said that. I dont believe that new development is prone to flooding as it's elevated

There's a private develop of around 80 units across the road on the North side of the Condell Rd, that will include a new signalised junction, that got permission recently, but this social housing development on the south side of the road was also discussed a few weeks back. Some described it as a future ghetto.

There's a private develop of around 80 units across the road on the North side of the Condell Rd, that will include a new signalised junction, that got permission recently, but this social housing development on the south side of the road was also discussed a few weeks back. Some described it as a future ghetto.

Yeah, had a look back at pg 140 (I think) where it was discussed. Didn't realise this was the same one as the links to the ePlan website don't work. The lack of permeability was brought up as a potential reason for it turning into a ghetto. If it does go ahead then an additional pedestrian/cycle entrance at the Clonmacken roundabout end would help. But the biggest issue is it's relatively remote/isolated location.

Is there a 3rd development going in here also? On some of the drawings for the social housing development, there are outlines for a separate development to the south west that I haven't seen details of yet.

457956.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's permission for 200 houses already granted on the river side from a number of years ago. It's very much in the flood plain. In recent years the developer got an extension on his planning permission. Great work there Limerick Council.

And there's another application by NAMA to develop more than 100 homes on the other side. I think that's currently under appeal and with An Bord Pleanala.

The site mentioned above is yet another one, and it's a Council social housing development. It's for 43 units. The deadline for submissions on that one is 17 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

You should really get your facts right before posts like that.

The developer in this instance went to huge cost tracking the flooding in the area, mapping and photographing to prove its not in a flood plain as the land is higher but hey you surely know better than all the parties involved.

kilburn wrote: »
    You should really get your facts right before posts like that.

The developer in this instance went to huge cost tracking the flooding in the area, mapping and photographing to prove its not in a flood plain as the land is higher but hey you surely know better than all the parties involved.

I grew up near there. It floods. Do you know the area at all? Walk down there and you'll see that it's protected only by the embankment. The developer clearly pulled the wool over the Council's eyes, which some would say isn't particularly difficult.

Grew up in the area so know it well.

You can rubbish the research, evidence provided and remedial works because you grew up near there.........

kilburn wrote: »
    Grew up in the area so know it well.

You can rubbish the research, evidence provided and remedial works because you grew up near there.........

Remedial works? Don't make me laugh. They dumped a load of infill on the site.

zulutango wrote:
    Remedial works? Don't make me laugh. They dumped a load of infill on the site.

You know best

• Advertisement

Clancy Strand is to get a lovely new apartment building apparently. It has to be said it's quite a bold and imaginative design from the architects, Healy Partners.

https://twitter.com/Cooplafocal/status/1029111622286159872

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Dr O Brien is an old friend of mine. He really cares about the old buildings of Limerick.

pigtown wrote: »
    It's horrible

Well, you have until the 28th to put in a submission. http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18752/0 1 no. private dwelling, 3 no. apartments, 1 no. café unit, demolition of existing derelict dwelling and associated site works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I just read through their documents. The apartments and house are large enough, and a cafe would be a welcome addition to that area. They argue that they need to raise the site level to counter the flood risk, and the current ceiling heights don't allow for this. The building as it is is dangerous and so they propose knocking it and replacing it with a building of similar scale. They intend to reuse the red bricks on the new buildings.

It all seems reasonable enough but I think the actual design isn't appropriate to area.

The area flooded in December 1999 during the main drainage works. Since then improved flood defences have been put in across the road and it has not flooded since, not even in February 2014 when King's Island flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

pigtown wrote: »
    It's horrible
    If that is the best that Healy and Partners can come up with, perhaps they should find another line of business, truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

zulutango wrote: »
    The area flooded in December 1999 during the main drainage works. Since then improved flood defences have been put in across the road and it has not flooded since, not even in February 2014 when King's Island flooded.

Yes, if memory serves me correct, they took up the old walls and inserted cast concrete walls. Lowered them in with a crane. The stone work is only facing/capping.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

to be fair that building needs a lot more than TLC as Paul suggested. more like 150k + TLC

the new building would probably have approx 8 apartments which would be great for people looking to rent/buy in this area which is pretty sought after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

damowill wrote: »
    the new building would probably have approx 8 apartments which would be great for people looking to rent/buy in this area which is pretty sought after.

3 on the planning

Advertisement