Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

jbkenn wrote: »
    If that is the best that Healy and Partners can come up with, perhaps they should find another line of business, truly awful.

Healy should stick to designing primary schools and hospitals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

zulutango wrote:
    The area flooded in December 1999 during the main drainage works. Since then improved flood defences have been put in across the road and it has not flooded since, not even in February 2014 when King's Island flooded.

Area flooded during the "hurricane" last year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

3 on the planning

They'll all be bought by investors and rented for about 2k/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Not sure if previously discussed here . Noticed works starting by quins roundabout on my way home from work recently and just saw on LL that there are plans approved for Homely Developments to construct 201 dwellings consisting of semi-d's terraced houses duplexes and apartments https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/329696/limerick-s-metro-mayor-predicts-traffic-chaos-as-contractors-start-work-for-housing.html

Does anyone have any links to the developers website or have access to any of the plans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Not sure if suburban houses should be considered improvements. The long term effect of this kind of development is to kill the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

crusha101 wrote: »
    Not sure if previously discussed here . Noticed works starting by quins roundabout on my way home from work recently and just saw on LL that there are plans approved for Homely Developments to construct 201 dwellings consisting of semi-d's terraced houses duplexes and apartments https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/329696/limerick-s-metro-mayor-predicts-traffic-chaos-as-contractors-start-work-for-housing.html

Does anyone have any links to the developers website or have access to any of the plans ?
    This might help http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/161196/0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

zulutango wrote: »
    Not sure if suburban houses should be considered improvements. The long term effect of this kind of development is to kill the city.
    Would you ever give it a rest !
    There is a massive shortage of both Rental and Private houses in Limerick. All this is doing is hiking up Rents and making Landlords richer.
    If, as you suggest, 200 odd houses should not be built in the Suburbs where would you like them ?
    In the People's Park ? Houseboats on the River ? Can you actually answer this ???

Whether you see this as an improvement or not is irrelevant. If new housing developments ease the cost of living for numerous people then many would welcome them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The developers could look at the city but it isn't as easy as building in the suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    There is a massive shortage of both Rental and Private houses in Limerick. All this is doing is hiking up Rents and making Landlords richer.
    If, as you suggest, 200 odd houses should not be built in the Suburbs where would you like them ?
    In the People's Park ? Houseboats on the River ? Can you actually answer this ???

Whether you see this as an improvement or not is irrelevant. If new housing developments ease the cost of living for numerous people then many would welcome them.

Policy in limerick is geared towards this type of out of town developement, which the council themselves say has negatively impacted the city. Limerick council have approved the removal of city Center apartments (knowing full well this will lead to evictions) and actively discouraged private development of a mid-high rise apartment complex in the city center.

Houses are not the solution to the housing crises as they take too long to build and cost more, apartments can be built and made available quicker and cheaper. The reason we don’t see apartments being built is that developers have to draw down a bigger loan upfront and don’t see a return until the building is finished. Instead developers draw plans for a few hundred houses and build and sell them 6 at a time.

Not too far from this developement limerick council are spending millions to build a road to open up land for them to build more houses. it will take years before the first few houses are available, they could have spent that money on apartments in limerick city instead and had a large number of apartments available a lot quicker.

We recently saw limerick council get a 200 million loan approved to build a large scale office block. While they cannot get similar funding for residential from that same source I’m sure they could source it elsewhere if they thought it was a priority - they obviously don’t. Local policy is based on office blocks and out of town house without any though for transport, and certainly without any thought for the people.

I know we are talking about a private developement but this developement is as a result of bad local and national planning which is known to be bad for cities and towns. I think it’s fair to point this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I live in the city centre. We genuinely need to prioritise the development of high quality, liveable apartment buildings. High rise and midrise, as much as physically possible. Just get the centre densely populated as soon as possible. The standard of apartments is a serious issue that doesn't attract people to want to live in the city centre in the same way that people live in apartments throughout Europe and the rest of the world. This aversion amongst Irish people to city living needs to change. Then we will start seeing new businesses opening up and opening hours everywhere being extended and there will be an actual atmosphere in our streets and things to do besides just going for pints, this would all increase the economy in the city and help further developments.

I think it's absolutely criminal how badly developed the areas by the river are. The river on both sides should be lined with 8-10 storey apartment buildings with retail units on their ground floor (similar to near Harvey's Quay currently) and be fully pedestrianised. This would result in a densely populated area by the river, actually attracting people to what is our city's strong point. Then behind these buildings it would be great to have high rise buildings developed with a mix between office and residential and retail.

It's honestly a joke that there are two storey homes/buildings anywhere near the city centre. O'Callaghan strand and down towards the Trinity Stone should be lined with apartment complexes/districts similar to The Strand.

• Advertisement

oh, you have me there. There is nowhere in Limerick City to develop for housing apart from on the river, in the People's Park and at the very edge of the city.

It seems to have escaped you that this is the Limerick Improvements thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

‘Attempt to stop Georgian house being replaced with 'crude and insensitive' apartment block’

http://jrnl.ie/4180000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Totally agree, any prosperous city needs a steady amount of suburban development to meet demand. Its a pity all cities in the country has to play "catch up" for not building over the last number of years but in order to be progressive Limerick needs a heck of a lot more new housing built.

They can create 1000 jobs a month in the City but if there isnt anywhere to house people then people wont choose to live here. It is that simple.

‘Attempt to stop Georgian house being replaced with 'crude and insensitive' apartment block’

http://jrnl.ie/4180000

Oh because it's just such a staple of the beautiful Georgian aesthetic. Pathetic, prioritising something so small over the housing of many people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Many people? There's only meant to be 3 apartments going in there and the design is abysmal

Mc Love wrote: »
    Many people? There's only meant to be 3 apartments going in there and the design is abysmal

Of course that's the reality, silly me for expecting something worthwhile being made here

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Arrival wrote: »
    Oh because it's just such a staple of the beautiful Georgian aesthetic. Pathetic, prioritising something so small over the housing of many people

There is no reason why the developer cannot incorporate the original Georgian building into the new development. Its purely greed on behalf of the developer to get as many units into the site as possible. Is is not necessary to knock our Georgian built heritage for the sake of new housing. There are considerable green sites all over the city that can be developed for example the disused former garage at Punches Cross and the former racecourse site.

As other posters have said there needs to be a greater emphasis on building high density housing and apartments in Limerick over housing estates. There is a growing population and the only sustainable way to meet this is through the provision of well planned well designed high density housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

There is no reason why the developer cannot incorporate the original Georgian building into the new development. Its purely greed on behalf of the developer to get as many units into the site as possible. Is is not necessary to knock our Georgian built heritage for the sake of new housing. There are considerable green sites all over the city that can be developed for example the disused former garage at Punches Cross and the former racecourse site.

As other posters have said there needs to be a greater emphasis on building high density housing and apartments in Limerick over housing estates. There is a growing population and the only sustainable way to meet this is through the provision of well planned well designed high density housing.

The Punches site has been bought with a view to apartment/housing development going in. Local residents got a flyer through our doors recently outlining the plans for it from councillor Leddin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Speaking of vacant sites, anyone know what’s to become of the Gasometer site on the Dock Road? I read in recent years that it was being decontaminated.

It has a real opportunity to help reinvigorate that side of town especially around O’Curry Street and the surrounding area. That area has become a bit of a ghetto in recent times, would be nice to see it cleaned up.

Speaking of vacant sites, anyone know what’s to become of the Gasometer site on the Dock Road? I read in recent years that it was being decontaminated.

It has a real opportunity to help reinvigorate that side of town especially around O’Curry Street and the surrounding area. That area has become a bit of a ghetto in recent times, would be nice to see it cleaned up.

Yes, it's being decontaminated with a view to selling it on as far as I know. It's a very long term project though. Don't expect anything too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It has been acquired to the best of knowledge by a large multinational company to build a new premises. I am being obtuse but watch that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Just came across this thread... I heard there is a new housing development going in across from Hazel Hall in Monaleen? Any idea how many homes? If you add this to the houses currently getting built behind the Gaelscoil then it won't be long before the land in between is filled with houses, traffic problems ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I believe the figures below indicate the increasing business Limerick City and County are generating from overseas visitors, plus the future potential for growth. figures for 2017. number of visitors with spend in brackets. Note Limerick's income is greater than Clare's which has far more visitors. limerick becoming an important base for the Atlantic way, despite not being on it.

Dublin: 5,936,000 (€1981m)
    Galway: 1,673,000 (€589m)
    Cork: 1,600,000 (€631m)
    Kerry: 1,277,000 (€337m)
    Clare: 749,000 (€158m)
    Limerick: 647,000 (€261m)
    Mayo: 324,000 (€78m)
    Kilkenny: 315,000 (€55m)
    Wicklow: 275,000 (€73m)
    Donegal: 255,000 (€82m)
    Waterford: 255,000 (€69m)
    Wexford: 232,000 (€61m)
    Kildare: 211,000 (€91m)
    Tipperary (N&S): 192,000 (€88m)
    Sligo: 173,000 (€45m)
    Louth: 172,000 (€55m)
    Meath: 162,000 (€44m)
    Cavan: 107,000 (€48m)
    Westmeath: 103,000 (€46m)
    Carlow: 79,000 (€45m)
    Monaghan: 60,000 (€25m)
    Roscommon: 54,000 (€27m)
    Offaly: 52,000 (€16m)
    Laois: 43,000 (€14m)
    Leitrim: 41,000 (€18m)
    Longford: 24,000 (€10m)

What's the source of those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

today's Irish independent. Travel section. 'Revealed: The Irish counties most (and least) visited by tourists
    Dublin is Ireland's most popular tourism region with almost six million visitors a year, our Travel Editor writes'

For me it's antoher reminder that despite what so many doomsayers repeat, Limerick has a significant tourist industry.

I remember hearing before that Limerick has the highest hotel occupancy rates in the country, but I don't know the veracity of that. The fact that many of the hotels are seeking to build extensions must be an indication of increased visitors. And it stands to reason that the city would be a major gateway. The marketing of the The Wild Atlantic Way has been far more successful than anticipated and is probably spilling over into the city. Plenty of people will stop over here en route to the south or west. I wonder how many of those who stay actually spend time in and around the city. It boggles the mind that there isn't a decent hostel in the city. There's a huge amount of couch surfers passing through so that would indicate a good market for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

I always thought Galway pulled a fast one (not the right term I know) being the base for tourists visiting the Cliffs of Moher seeing as Limerick is closer than Galway to the cliffs by about 20 mins and also has an airport 25 mins away. Again it's a case of Galway being better at promoting itself historically. Hopefully something Limerick can bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

MilfordBud wrote: »
    I always thought Galway pulled a fast one (not the right term I know) being the base for tourists visiting the Cliffs of Moher seeing as Limerick is closer than Galway to the cliffs by about 20 mins and also has an airport 25 mins away. Again it's a case of Galway being better at promoting itself historically. Hopefully something Limerick can bridge.

+1. I have happened to be on the Tarbert/Killimer ferry a number of times over the Summer and it has surprised me how many tourists bypass Limerick completely to get from Kerry to Clare.

The last few years Limerick has been advertising itself as some sort of foodie and fashion mecca, certainly through our civic festivals, which was absolutely the worst way to promote our city imo. I think that is slowly changing and the historical, cultural heritage we have is coming much more to the fore. We should be doing much more to connect the likes of Ballyhoura to the city though and are missing a decent tourism hub in the city. Our tourist office is smaller than Sligo's which I was in during the summer. Would love to see the Potato Market converted to a tourist hub incorporating river activities, cultural space and one stop shop for all attractions in city and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Glenomra wrote: »
    I believe the figures below indicate the increasing business Limerick City and County are generating from overseas visitors, plus the future potential for growth. figures for 2017. number of visitors with spend in brackets. Note Limerick's income is greater than Clare's which has far more visitors. limerick becoming an important base for the Atlantic way, despite not being on it.

Dublin: 5,936,000 (€1981m)
    Galway: 1,673,000 (€589m)
    Cork: 1,600,000 (€631m)
    Kerry: 1,277,000 (€337m)
    Clare: 749,000 (€158m)
    Limerick: 647,000 (€261m)
    Mayo: 324,000 (€78m)
    Kilkenny: 315,000 (€55m)
    Wicklow: 275,000 (€73m)
    Donegal: 255,000 (€82m)
    Waterford: 255,000 (€69m)
    Wexford: 232,000 (€61m)
    Kildare: 211,000 (€91m)
    Tipperary (N&S): 192,000 (€88m)
    Sligo: 173,000 (€45m)
    Louth: 172,000 (€55m)
    Meath: 162,000 (€44m)
    Cavan: 107,000 (€48m)
    Westmeath: 103,000 (€46m)
    Carlow: 79,000 (€45m)
    Monaghan: 60,000 (€25m)
    Roscommon: 54,000 (€27m)
    Offaly: 52,000 (€16m)
    Laois: 43,000 (€14m)
    Leitrim: 41,000 (€18m)
    Longford: 24,000 (€10m)

There has been a noticeable increase in tourists to Limerick over the last number of years which is good to see. Add in the visiting fans from Munster games and those the University bring, its all very positive.

Contrast the above list to the Domestic numbers below from the same article in the Indo. Its clear that we dont get many 'Irish' visitors. For even stag or hen nights, Limerick is well down the pecking order of places to go.

Domestic visitors and spend by county

Dublin: 1,497,000 (€307m)
    Cork: 1,113,000 (€337m)
    Galway: 1,024,000 (€247m)
    Kerry: 964,000 (€205m)
    Wexford: 654,000 (€146m)
    Mayo: 503,000 (€108m)
    Tipperary (N&S): 496,000 (€92m)
    Donegal: 376,000 (€96m)
    Clare: 362,000 (€86m)
    Wicklow: 319,000 (€49m)
    Waterford: 327,000 (€58m)
    Kilkenny: 298,000 (€69m)
    Kildare: 286,000 (€36m)
    Limerick: 284,000 (€46m)
    Sligo: 247,000 (€51m)
    Carlow: 228,000 (€36m)
    Laois: 228,000 (€30m)*
    Offaly: 228,000 (€30m)*
    Meath: 223,000 (€44m)
    Cavan: 206,000 (€32m)*
    Leitrim: 206,000 (€32m)*
    Louth: 179,000 (€30m)*
    Monaghan: 179,000 (€30m)*
    Westmeath: 159,000 (€18m)
    Roscommon: 130,000 (€18m)*
    Longford: 130,000 (€18m)*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

damowill wrote: »
    There has been a noticeable increase in tourists to Limerick over the last number of years which is good to see. Add in the visiting fans from Munster games and those the University bring, its all very positive.

Contrast the above list to the Domestic numbers below from the same article in the Indo. Its clear that we dont get many 'Irish' visitors. For even stag or hen nights, Limerick is well down the pecking order of places to go.

Domestic visitors and spend by county

Dublin: 1,497,000 (€307m)
    Cork: 1,113,000 (€337m)
    Galway: 1,024,000 (€247m)
    Kerry: 964,000 (€205m)
    Wexford: 654,000 (€146m)
    Mayo: 503,000 (€108m)
    Tipperary (N&S): 496,000 (€92m)
    Donegal: 376,000 (€96m)
    Clare: 362,000 (€86m)
    Wicklow: 319,000 (€49m)
    Waterford: 327,000 (€58m)
    Kilkenny: 298,000 (€69m)
    Kildare: 286,000 (€36m)
    Limerick: 284,000 (€46m)
    Sligo: 247,000 (€51m)
    Carlow: 228,000 (€36m)
    Laois: 228,000 (€30m)*
    Offaly: 228,000 (€30m)*
    Meath: 223,000 (€44m)
    Cavan: 206,000 (€32m)*
    Leitrim: 206,000 (€32m)*
    Louth: 179,000 (€30m)*
    Monaghan: 179,000 (€30m)*
    Westmeath: 159,000 (€18m)
    Roscommon: 130,000 (€18m)*
    Longford: 130,000 (€18m)*

Jesus, our reputation may be costing us up to €200 million a year in lost tourism revenue....thats €4 million a week, remember if it wasn't for Munster Rugby we'd be in the bottom 5/6....we can thank in large part, RTE, Irish media, and local media for much of that!

Advertisement