Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

One small thing that suprises me sometimes is that the very name of Limerick is well known around the world for its connection to the humorous verse, but there is, as far as I can see, no real attempt to exploit this. I know there has been a Limerick Literary Festival over the last few years which I think is very much tied to Kate O'Brien. There's a trick missing here somewhere.

The Limerick international Limerick festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

There was a council in Limerick
    Whose contributions to the city were plain thick
    They held meetings galore
    Only resulting in furore
    Because most of the members were pricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Interesting reading back on this that the focus on the tourist numbers is almost totally focused on the limitations of the city and not the limitations of the county. For a lot of the counties ahead of us in those figures, visitors are not flocking in droves to the county town. I have a hunch that Waterford is not beating us as a destination because they have tapped into a great public desire to visit Waterford City.

On this note I see the largest cycling hub in the country is to be opened in Kilmallock tomorrow. Not sure what that exactly means but is good to see and hopefully something will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

There was a council in Limerick
    Whose contributions to the city were plain thick
    They held meetings galore
    Only resulting in furore
    Because most of the members were pricks
    Good effort but not worthy of Limerick's Limerick of the Year from Limerick title. :D

panda100 wrote: »
    On this note I see the largest cycling hub in the country is to be opened in Kilmallock tomorrow. Not sure what that exactly means but is good to see and hopefully something will come of it.

Just reading a little about this and it's ticking the right boxes. A trail around the Ballyhouras, a trail down the Glen of Aherlow, one to Lough Gur and a shorter one around Glenroe and Castle Oliver. Nothing about any plans to make the trails bike-friendly or other structural plans, but it's certainly a good idea. A joined-up approach around marketing it is the next step and tying in with the existing Ballyhoura Country facilities. I still think there's a missed opportunity in not promoting the Galtee (a stronger international brand, if you will) aspect of it more.

An outdoor mecca in South Limerick did you say? Who'da thunk it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MilfordBud wrote: »
    The Limerick international Limerick festival.

That literally just happened over the weekend. Limerick Writers Centre have been running the "Bring Your Limericks to Limerick" competition for a few years now.

They had a bus tour of County Limerick on Friday, taking in Mungret, Adare, Rathkeale, Newcastle West, Broadford, and Croom, looking at Limerick's literary heritage and tradition over the last 800 years. The deadline for entries for the competition was the 11th of August and the competitors performed in Dolan's on Saturday evening before the winner was announced.

The Writers Centre has a tiny budget so getting word out is entirely reliant on Facebook shares. Matthew Potter's book, "The Curious Story of the Limerick" had a revised edition released last year. It looks into the history of the limerick verse and tries to figure out the origins of the name, and its links with Limerick City and County.

Amazed I haven't heard about this event before. A €500 cash prize for the winner too... a hundy per line... I'll put a reminder in the calendar for next year. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Hunt Museum is closing for a fire safety upgrade for October and November. The cafe is closing for a shorter period.

The council has partnered with Enterprise Ireland to offer an €80,000 fund for solutions to fire safety and access issues with older buildings. These are two of the biggest and most expensive parts when doing up older buildings and a cheaper solution could really pick up the pace of city centre redevelopment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Saw on the Limerick Leader online this morning that there's plans for a WW1 memorial in the People's Park.

Nice idea but the central focus is to be a 4m tall cross. I can't help but feel that a more secular centre piece would be more appropriate. Possibly a statue of a WW1 soldier would make a more appropriate centre piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

A lot of people from that part of the city fought and died in WW1 so there's a decent justification for it. The only thing is that there is a memorial on Pery Square, just outside the park. Is another one required?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    A lot of people from that part of the city fought and died in WW1 so there's a decent justification for it. The only thing is that there is a memorial on Pery Square, just outside the park. Is another one required?

Indeed and there are actually a number of Commonwealth War Graves in Limerick. There are 50 in Mount St. Lawrence and 39 in Kings Island Cemetery.
    source wrote: »
    Nice idea but the central focus is to be a 4m tall cross. I can't help but feel that a more secular centre piece would be more appropriate. Possibly a statue of a WW1 soldier would make a more appropriate centre piece.

Have to agree. Having visited many of the memorial sites and graveyards around Northern France and Belgium, even in the graveyards, most monuments aren't crosses. The Brooding Soldier in Langemark, Belgium is a fine example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Julien_Memorial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Indeed and there are actually a number of Commonwealth War Graves in Limerick. There are 50 in Mount St. Lawrence and 39 in Kings Island Cemetery.

Have to agree. Having visited many of the memorial sites and graveyards around Northern France and Belgium, even in the graveyards, most monuments aren't crosses. The Brooding Soldier in Langemark, Belgium is a fine example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Julien_Memorial

Actually, thinking about this a bit more, a statue of a soldier would probably be discouraged as a violent image. The most common WW1 memorial i saw dotted around Northern France were obelisks and would probably be the least controversial option and most in keeping with other memorials for WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

panda100 wrote: »

Just reading a little about this and it's ticking the right boxes. A trail around the Ballyhouras, a trail down the Glen of Aherlow, one to Lough Gur and a shorter one around Glenroe and Castle Oliver. Nothing about any plans to make the trails bike-friendly or other structural plans, but it's certainly a good idea. A joined-up approach around marketing it is the next step and tying in with the existing Ballyhoura Country facilities. I still think there's a missed opportunity in not promoting the Galtee (a stronger international brand, if you will) aspect of it more.

An outdoor mecca in South Limerick did you say? Who'da thunk it!
    This sounds great.
    Is there a link anywhere to this story

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Eugene Phelan of the Leader wrote on Twitter that there is a boost for the city as the new owners of the Horizon Mall want to develop the site....has anyone info on this? No need story on their site yet, must be in the weekend print edition.

Building a shopping centre on the edge of a city is a boost for the city apparently ..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

An expansion of the Castletroy Shopping Centre and the return of the Horizon Mall?

Is this 2007 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Castletroy Shopping Centre plan has been refused by LCCC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

mart 23 wrote: »

I'm shocked by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mart 23 wrote: »
    Good. Although the owners have done a great job in revitalising that place, we don't need any more/bigger suburban shopping centres. We need more city centre shopping, hopefully LCCC have recognised this

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Good. Although the owners have done a great job in revitalising that place, we don't need any more/bigger suburban shopping centres. We need more city centre shopping, hopefully LCCC have recognised this

they have done a great job, the new weekly farmers market is due to start tomorrow also i think.

Unfotunatly, LCCC excel at ignoring the obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

mart 23 wrote:

Link?

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18717/0
    Refused because it goes against the retail guidelines and would pose too much of a threat to the city centre

lazyman wrote: »
    Eugene Phelan of the Leader wrote on Twitter that there is a boost for the city as the new owners of the Horizon Mall want to develop the site....has anyone info on this? No need story on their site yet, must be in the weekend print edition.

They have invited councillors to a presentation tonight about it, not much detail yet but seems to be office/residential with minimal retail

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

pigtown wrote: »
    They have invited councillors to a presentation tonight about it, not much detail yet but seems to be office/residential with minimal retail

student housing i imagine, but hopefully more details are available soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The article is up for the Parkway Valley development. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/334362/new-multi-million-plan-on-horizon-for-derelict-limerick-site.html#.W5JdFpQtWkg.twitter

They're proposing a mixed-u​se development, containing office space, houses and limited retail to support the development – coffee shops, and a small general store. Obviously we need to see more detailed plans, but personally I'd have no issue with such a development. It would be much more beneficial to Limerick than another shopping center.

Live95fm had a discussion on this this morning but I missed it. Did anyone catch the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Looks promising - surprised at the height of the building in the sketch (seems like 10/11 stories) which along with the Travel Lodge building could set good precedent for other higher density development around singland. If the sketch is to be adhered to then it also appears that the housing element will be relatively high density apartment blocks.

Is there any hope of further development next to the travel lodge or is that forever written off due to flooding problems?

apc wrote: »
    Looks promising - surprised at the height of the building in the sketch (seems like 10/11 stories) which along with the Travel Lodge building could set good precedent for other higher density development around singland. If the sketch is to be adhered to then it also appears that the housing element will be relatively high density apartment blocks.

Agreed, it looks promising. Just a point about tall buildings, they don't tend to result in particularly high density as they tend to require a lot of low rise or empty space around them. This site would have been a better location for Northern Trust. But that ain't going anywhere, so it would be great to see a large park in the Groody valley linking these two major developments.

Listening back to the Live95 discussion, they're planning 190 1/2/3 bed apartments, some car showroom type retail, a hotel, a petrol station, and I'm assuming some offices in the tall building.

It's a really good proposal in my opinion and not a 3bed semi in sight thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Sounds very positive, a healthy mix.

Advertisement