Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's hugely significant. The Council deserve credit for standing up to Dunnes and following through with this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MilfordBud wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right thread but couldn't find one that it would fit in to.

How many new housing developments are there going on in Limerick at the moment?

Evanwood in Castletroy is finishing up construction of final phase.
    Bloomfield in Newtown/Annacotty
    Castlebrook Manor off the old Dublin road in Castletroy/Annacotty due to start soon.
    New developments on Condell Rd and Clonmacken or are these the same one?
    New one in Mungret? I'm not sure about these, nothing concrete on them as far as I can see.
    There's a private 110 unit development on the Condell Rd near the Clonmacken roundabout, so I'd say that's what you're thinking of.

Mungret is part of the Limerick 2030 development. Up to 800 homes, but 200 initially. It will probably be 2020 before that gets on site.

There are a number of social developments that the council are doing too. 48 units in Rathbane, 43 units on the Condell Rd, 11 units on Careys Road, 27 units in Keyes Park, 13 units on Roxboro Road and a load of 3, 4 or 5 unit infill developments around the city.

Just to add to this. A 99 unit development has gotten planning on the Bloodmill Rd. behind Carn na Ree consisting of (i) 1 no. 4 bed detached unit; (ii) 52 no. 3 bed semi-detached units; (iii) 2 no. 3 bed terrace units; (iv) 15 no. 2 bed terrace units with option for a third bedroom; (v) 28 no. 2 bed apartment units, 1 no 3 bedroom apartment unit

More low density development. You want traffic congestion? This is how you get traffic congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

zulutango wrote: »
    More low density development. You want traffic congestion? This is how you get traffic congestion.

So you'd prefer high density development? Surely you'd have worse traffic congestion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Is there any development you are happy with?

• Advertisement

So you'd prefer high density development? Surely you'd have worse traffic congestion then?

No, the opposite happens with high density development because it's easier to provide economically viable and efficient public transport and cheaper to provide high quality infrastructure generally. The result is far lower car useage. Low density, which is what we have at the moment, results in high car dependency and it just screws up cities.

Is there any development you are happy with?

Yes, high and medium density with excellent amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Let me rephrase, is there any development in Limerick that you're happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Carefull you will be accused of being arrogant by the PC brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

No, the opposite happens with high density development because it's easier to provide economically viable and efficient public transport and cheaper to provide high quality infrastructure generally. The result is far lower car useage. Low density, which is what we have at the moment, results in high car dependency and it just screws up cities.

If you build it, they will come? Have you any evidence for this theory of yours?

• Advertisement

It's within walking distance of three retail parks, a shopping centre, a primary school, a GAA club, UL and soon a new secondary school. Plenty of amenities are already in place.

Residential?

It's within walking distance of three retail parks, a shopping centre, a primary school, a GAA club, UL and soon a new secondary school. Plenty of amenities are already in place.

Yes, plenty of excellent amenities around there. It's still a low density development though.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I've never been inside them but from the outside, the scale and density of the Strand apartments to me looks ideal. The new social housing opposite Sarsfield barracks are pretty good too.

LeoD wrote: »
    I've never been inside them but from the outside, the scale and density of the Strand apartments to me looks ideal. The new social housing opposite Sarsfield barracks are pretty good too.

Those are two I would have picked. Maybe the Carlton apartments also, but there are still quite a few issues with these.

While Galway is truly ****ed, we aren't exactly shining lights ourselves.

https://connachttribune.ie/top-architect-brands-galway-as-dominated-by-cars-404/

The Rugby Experience has applied for €5 million euro in funding from the government according to the Limerick Leader. I'd have thought they'd have their finance all sorted out before the project went for planning and wouldn't have to go to the taxpayer to help fund it.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/341851/urban-regeneration-limerick-council-waits-on-green-light-for-20m-city-transformation.html

There are grants available for many different types of projects to be fair they would be foolish not to apply for available grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

The breakdown of money is as follows.

€6,423,571 - Docklands project
    €5,217,000 - Rugby museum
    €2,271,780 - 834 houses in Mungret
    €1.8m - Opera Project
    €1,201,402 - Georgian Quarter rejuvenation project
    €1m - Virtual reality centre
    €904,688 - O’Connell Street revitalisation project
    €350,000 - World class waterfront
    €187,500 - Development of O’Connell Street, Henry Street and Catherine Street
    €120,000 - Castletroy link road

Does any know about this Waterfront?

What's this Virtual reality centre? Where is this going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

damowill wrote: »
    The breakdown of money is as follows.

€6,423,571 - Docklands project
    €5,217,000 - Rugby museum
    €2,271,780 - 834 houses in Mungret
    €1.8m - Opera Project
    €1,201,402 - Georgian Quarter rejuvenation project
    €1m - Virtual reality centre
    €904,688 - O’Connell Street revitalisation project
    €350,000 - World class waterfront
    €187,500 - Development of O’Connell Street, Henry Street and Catherine Street
    €120,000 - Castletroy link road

Does any know about this Waterfront?

What's this Virtual reality centre? Where is this going?

As someone rightly pointed out on twitter it cost €443,000 to do the ground investigation work for O'Connell Street so I would love to know how Limerick Council are going to create a "World Class" waterfront on €350,000? :confused:

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    As someone rightly pointed out on twitter it cost €443,000 to do the ground investigation work for O'Connell Street so I would love to know how Limerick Council are going to create a "World Class" waterfront on €350,000?

Hopefully they build a big fountain on the Shannon or in arthurs quay park like Geneva but thats too ambitious for them

kilburn wrote: »
    Hopefully they build a big fountain on the Shannon or in arthurs quay park like Geneva but thats too ambitious for them

They are putting all the money into these grand projects like the Rugby Museum and a 'virtual-reality' centre. It's actually cringe-worthy. These might be 'cool' for a few months and get a few outside visitors but they offer nothing to the local community or that many outside visitors. A properly funded riverfront with very simple amenities like walkways/cycleways/bathing facilities etc would not only be wonderful for locals but would make Limerick a tourist attraction in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

panda100 wrote: »
    As someone rightly pointed out on twitter it cost €443,000 to do the ground investigation work for O'Connell Street so I would love to know how Limerick Council are going to create a "World Class" waterfront on €350,000? :confused:

The funds they are looking for are not the total costs of the projects. For instance, they are looking for €1.8m for the Opera Project. Of course 1.8 wouldnt be enough to knock the place. And we know its going to cost somewhere in the region of €170m. So they must have other sources/loans for funds for the Waterfront most likely as part of 2030 funds and the €350k is for the shortfall.

But I am eager to see plans for this Waterfront (& Virtual reality centre).

The "world class waterfront" was one of the mainstays of the Limerick 2030 strategy document published more than 5 years ago now. That document was so vague though and doesn't give any details. The problem with it is that the Council are waving it around as a justification for anything. It's such blunt, subjective and ultimately bull**** terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Absolutely. The Council are employing the Limerick 2030 plan as the blueprint by which the city should be developed. In reality it's a superficial pile of PR nonsense entirely lacking credibility and conviction. None of the much heralded projects are any closer to fruition than they were in 2013. Except for the Hanging Gardens, which of course was already partly constructed.

We're sick of hearing about long term visions and plans. It's time for action. The lack of investment in the city centre in particular is just galling!

damowill wrote: »
    The funds they are looking for are not the total costs of the projects. For instance, they are looking for €1.8m for the Opera Project. Of course 1.8 wouldnt be enough to knock the place. And we know its going to cost somewhere in the region of €170m. So they must have other sources/loans for funds for the Waterfront most likely as part of 2030 funds and the €350k is for the shortfall.

But I am eager to see plans for this Waterfront (& Virtual reality centre).

Good point. Would be interesting to know how much each project is allocated in total. I'm pretty sure the plans for the World-Class Waterfront haven't been progressed beyond the original Limerick2030 report here though I could be wrong about that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What is "Castletroy Link Road"? Is it the link from the Golf Links to Northern Trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Schoolhouse road/Golf Links road junction to Groody road.

That 'Barak Obama Plaza slyle' service station has gotten the go ahead out by Coonagh cross. I honestly fail to see how this won't be closed with in a year when there's already three petrol stations, Supermacs and a McDonalds drive thru on the same road. And it's 3km from the N18 in either direction.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/342671/jobs-boost-as-limericks-obama-plaza-style-plan-given-green-light.html#.W8h7tOwM4gg.twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Vanquished wrote: »
    Schoolhouse road/Golf Links road junction to Groody road.

What would be the length of this link road. ?

Advertisement