Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

mart 23 wrote: »
    What would be the length of this link road. ?

around 700 metres as a rough estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/10/18/council-to-assess-plan-for-new-pedestrian-bridge-across-shannon/

Proposal for a new pedestrian and cycle bridge across the River from O’Callaghan Strand to Bishops Quay.

The article mentions the previous plans for the footbridge that would link Arthur’s Quay and Merchants Quay. Is this still in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I don't think it will be as contentious as the original footbridge proposal, but on cost grounds it might be very difficult to justify. Then again, the Council usually doesn't have to! It will depend on the plan for Cleeves and Bishop's Quay.

Speaking of Bishop's Quay is there any intention to build it? It received planning permission about 15 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What was the big kerfuffle with the previous plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/10/18/council-to-assess-plan-for-new-pedestrian-bridge-across-shannon/

Proposal for a new pedestrian and cycle bridge across the River from O’Callaghan Strand to Bishops Quay.

The article mentions the previous plans for the footbridge that would link Arthur’s Quay and Merchants Quay. Is this still in the pipeline?

I like this plan!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

keane2097 wrote: »
    What was the big kerfuffle with the previous plan?

The council wanted to spend millions on an unnecessary vanity project bridge that would destroy the views of the river. Luckily the backlash was probably the biggest I've seen across the city outside the water protests and they quietly let the idea slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is this to be built using the Failte Ireland money? The Council undertook a City River Engage process after the last bridge proposal flopped. As a result of that process I can't remember one person calling for another bridge across the river. Why are they back to a bridge proposal again ? Surely the money should be placed into suggestions from the City River Engage process such as city baths that appear to be gathering council support

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

panda100 wrote: »
    Is this to be built using the Failte Ireland money? The Council undertook a City River Engage process after the last bridge proposal flopped. As a result of that process I can't remember one person calling for another bridge across the river. Why are they back to a bridge proposal again ? Surely the money should be placed into suggestions from the City River Engage process such as city baths that appear to be gathering council support

With the discussions lately on how dangerous cyclists find Shannon Bridge, and with the proposed development in the Cleeves site, there will be a need to move people safely from one side to the other. A pedestrian and cycle bridge in this area and for this purpose makes far more sense than what was proposed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Refurb the bland Shannon bridge and attach the cyle/pedestrian way on the side of it, would fulfill 2 projects in one

https://www.arup.com/projects/kurilpa-bridge

Kurilpa bridge brisbane, I always thought this bridge was made for Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I do think a footbridge has some merit though as Shannon bridge & Sarsfield bridge are not bicycle friendly and would offer a safe passage for cyclists across the river. It would also increase footfall along Bishops quay for businesses to open/flourish.

I would love to see a proper waterfront that incorporated the city baths idea as part of 2030. The River is Limerick's biggest asset, having a medieval Castle that sits along it, Medieval Churches in view, and landcape of Woodcock Hill in the backdrop. Its postcard perfect. We just need to bring people to the river and get Limerick people to embrace it. Copenhagen is an ordinary city but made extraordinary by simple bold ideas (as well as a fantastic cycling culture)

Copenhagen Harbour Baths

382_13619.jpg?qfix

Aalborg Baths

IMG_20170819_184509.jpg

Bronte Harbour Baths

image.jpg

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    With the discussions lately on how dangerous cyclists find Shannon Bridge, and with the proposed development in the Cleeves site, there will be a need to move people safely from one side to the other. A pedestrian and cycle bridge in this area and for this purpose makes far more sense than what was proposed previously.

I'm not against the proposal to build a bridge. There may be very good reasons for spending a very large amount of money on such infrastructures (which aren't exactly clear) but creating a crossing for bikes and pedestrians is not one of them. That issue can be solved by reallocating the road space on Shannon Bridge so that there's a cycle lane in both directions. This would be very beneficial for both cyclists and pedestrians with very positive knock-on effects for the city too, and it would not cost very much. When faced with a choice of spending 20 million euros (probably a lot more) to build a bridge or reallocating road space, the latter option makes far more sense, and even gives you greater benefits.

Those baths are amazing! Could you imagine what they would be like if we had them last summer! Full of scummers drinking cans by the pool, giving a new name to poor mans Kilkee! We cant have anything nice in this country because of scumbags

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Refurb the bland Shannon bridge and attach the cyle/pedestrian way on the side of it, would fulfill 2 projects in one

https://www.arup.com/projects/kurilpa-bridge

Kurilpa bridge brisbane, I always thought this bridge was made for Limerick

But that's a stand alone bridge, not one attached to an existing bridge. And I don't think LCCC would get away with spending €40m on a bridge either. The previous budget was around €14-15m.

zulutango wrote: »
    I'm not against the proposal to build a bridge. There may be very good reasons for spending a very large amount of money on such infrastructures (which aren't exactly clear) but creating a crossing for bikes and pedestrians is not one of them. That issue can be solved by reallocating the road space on Shannon Bridge so that there's a cycle lane in both directions. This would be very beneficial for both cyclists and pedestrians with very positive knock-on effects for the city too, and it would not cost very much. When faced with a choice of spending 20 million euros (probably a lot more) to build a bridge or reallocating road space, the latter option makes far more sense, and even gives you greater benefits.

Yeah the Shannon bridge is well dodgy. Even for motorists as drivers overtaking cyclists regularly just swing out into other traffic without indicating. I'm amazed there hasn't been a accident there.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Those baths are amazing! Could you imagine what they would be like if we had them last summer! Full of scummers drinking cans by the pool, giving a new name to poor mans Kilkee! We cant have anything nice in this country because of scumbags

Really disagree with this. We have no decent public amenities in Limerick city centre. As a result the city centre is pretty dead.There are certain empty spaces which attract some anti-social behaviour. Give people active, social spaces that can be used by anyone and everyone and you get a vibrant city community. I have been to public open water bathing facilities in London and Berlin and these vibrant spaces are well used by locals and tourists alike. The UL pathway is a good example of an amenity that many said wouldn't work due to anti-social behaviour. I cycle it 4 times a day and rarely see people abusing the space.

I would love to see a proper waterfront that incorporated the city baths idea as part of 2030. The River is Limerick's biggest asset, having a medieval Castle that sits along it, Medieval Churches in view, and landcape of Woodcock Hill in the backdrop. Its postcard perfect. We just need to bring people to the river and get Limerick people to embrace it. Copenhagen is an ordinary city but made extraordinary by simple bold ideas (as well as a fantastic cycling culture)

I really do believe the council is on board with city baths. They see its potential if we could get it properly funded. That is why it's frustrating that there is talks of bridges when at a similar cost you could bring something completely unique that so many would enjoy.

Just curious as to where people suggest you could put public baths? As we know the Shannon is very tidal though the city with 3-4 meter difference between high and low tides.

There's a few places worth considering. The existing baths at King's Island just need a bit of an upgrade. There's a case to be made for re-jigging the marina in front of the Hunt Museum but there's an issue with daylight there. It's a dark space due to the Custom's House, Sarsfield House and some large trees. Around Arthur's Quay might be a better bet but the weir makes it a tight space and you still need boats to be able to access the lock at Shannon Rowing Club. A long term possibility is the Ted Russell Dock. The port is due to be moved downriver.

Just curious as to where people suggest you could put public baths? As we know the Shannon is very tidal though the city with 3-4 meter difference between high and low tides.

Any baths that would be built would have to have a tidal/retaining wall to keep in water at low tide. There is space for baths at Verdant Place, indeed there were public baths there for many years from what I've been told. This is the best side of the river to be on as it gets the sun in the evening time.

The bathing area from May to August next Summer will more than likely be from Clancy Strand as that is the only public slipway with space for changing etc in the park beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Any baths that would be built would have to have a tidal/retaining wall to keep in water at low tide. There is space for baths at Verdant Place, indeed there were public baths there for many years from what I've been told. This is the best side of the river to be on as it gets the sun in the evening time.

The bathing area from May to August next Summer will more than likely be from Clancy Strand as that is the only public slipway with space for changing etc in the park beside it.

The baths at Verdant place are still there. They are just large steps however, don’t think there was ever a retaining wall.

The baths are used every year for the St. Mary’s Community Festival Regata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kind of anti-improvement news, but the Council have turned down a planning application to double the size of the Castletroy Shopping Centre, on the grounds that it will negatively impact the city centre.

Despite the fact that the Parkway is double the size and the Crescent is about 10 times the size.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/341350/limerick-council-criticised-for-basis-of-refusal-of-town-centre-expansion-plan.html

There is a petition here (not that they do much good - signatures are still under 1000).

Mr E wrote: »
    Kind of anti-improvement news, but the Council have turned down a planning application to double the size of the Castletroy Shopping Centre, on the grounds that it will negatively impact the city centre.

Despite the fact that the Parkway is double the size and the Crescent is about 10 times the size.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/341350/limerick-council-criticised-for-basis-of-refusal-of-town-centre-expansion-plan.html

There is a petition here (not that they do much good - signatures are still under 1000).

Yeah that was discussed a few weeks back. The Parkway and Crescent were built before the amalgamation of the councils and before the current policies were in place. Further expansion of the Crescent for M&S was also refused a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Mr E wrote: »

Wow that petition is ridiculous. 'I never want to leave Castletroy so why should I have to'. Good thing this man isn't in a position to actually influence planning here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The emptiness of Parkway Retail Park should say enough about the need for additional retail space on the east of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Why do they want an extension.

We are in the middle of an economic boom and there are still empty units in it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Soon to be an additional unit empty in Parkway Retail park with Homebase closing down. What is the obsession with unnecessary shopping center expansion and fe*kin M&S!

The baths at Verdant place are still there. They are just large steps however, don’t think there was ever a retaining wall.

The baths are used every year for the St. Mary’s Community Festival Regata.

Yes I have been down there at st. Mary's reggatas. While there are steps into the Shannon there is nothing like the infrastructure that was there at Corbally Baths, with a little kiddies pool etc :) I do think there is political will in the council to change this though if people would get behind public baths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Shn99 wrote: »
    Soon to be an additional unit empty in Parkway Retail park with Homebase closing down. What is the obsession with unnecessary shopping center expansion and fe*kin M&S!

Would the Homebase site be a suitable size for an M&S store .?

mart 23 wrote: »
    Would the Homebase site be a suitable size for an M&S store .?

Definitely - I'd think they could even put in a 1st floor level in there.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Wow that petition is ridiculous. 'I never want to leave Castletroy so why should I have to'. Good thing this man isn't in a position to actually influence planning here.

An excellent transport link with the city centre would do a lot for the people of Castletroy.

Advertisement