Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

pigtown wrote: »
    There's a planning application for approximately 120 houses and apartments for College Rd Castletroy. I think it's the site next to Castletroy College

Thanks, where did you find that? I'd love to see more details but can't find it on the council planning website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Thanks, where did you find that? I'd love to see more details but can't find it on the council planning website.

It's a notice of intention to submit. The application will probably be lodged this week.

The site in question is the large undeveloped landbank beside Castletroy College. The applications relate to the portion of the site at the junction of the L1121 and Castletroy College Road. Another housing development got planning permission there recently. The remainder of the site is currently up for sale.

Density will be critical here overall. Further low coverage, car dependant sprawl is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's a notice of intention to submit. The application will probably be lodged this week.

The site in question is the large undeveloped landbank beside Castletroy College. The applications relate to the portion of the site at the junction of the L1121 and Castletroy College Road. Another housing development got planning permission there recently. The remainder of the site is currently up for sale.

Density will be critical here overall. Further low coverage, car dependant sprawl is not the answer.

I know the council are inept, but I cannot see this getting planning. That area (and Castletroy) in general is a nightmare at peak times. Adding more house + cars will only exacerbate an already-bad situation. How is it that most posters on Boards can see that urban sprawl is not the solution, but developers/LCC are apparently oblivious to it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Development levies.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I haven't seen the plans but it does have a mixture of semi-ds, own door apartments, and terraced houses. Realistically you're not going to see a big apartment only development here. Yeah the traffic is bad but the area had good cycling facilities, schools, shops, a park. This kind of development wouldn't exactly be unsuitable
    I know the council are inept, but I cannot see this getting planning. That area (and Castletroy) in general is a nightmare at peak times. Adding more house + cars will only exacerbate an already-bad situation. How is it that most posters on Boards can see that urban sprawl is not the solution, but developers/LCC are apparently oblivious to it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I haven't seen the plans but it does have a mixture of semi-ds, own door apartments, and terraced houses. Realistically you're not going to see a big apartment only development here. Yeah the traffic is bad but the area had good cycling facilities, schools, shops, a park. This kind of development wouldn't exactly be unsuitable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Work going on in the ground floor of that kind of grey brick apartment building just down from Barron's Circle K on the Dock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

source wrote: »
    Work going on in the ground floor of that kind of grey brick apartment building just down from Barron's Circle K on the Dock Road.

So that’s where M&S is going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

So that’s where M&S is going!!!

The Limerick Leader will be running with this in the morning. Quoting an "unnamed source"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Vanquished wrote: »
    The Limerick Leader will be running with this in the morning. Quoting an "unnamed source"

Well in fairness if they said they were quoting source they wouldn't be far wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Always a strange unit, very limited parking outside. Not sure what could work in there apart from office space

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Possible residential development in the docklands?
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347546/property-company-to-help-shannon-foynes-port-company-unlock-potential-of-limerick-docks.html#.W-vgXpuwLqk.twitter

Shannon Foynes Port Company (SFPC) announced that Savills Ireland would “advise on the regeneration of its 45.5 hectare holding in Limerick’s docklands into a major economic hub for the city and region”.......

......Savills has a strong track-record in this space, having worked on various high-profile regeneration projects including the development of Boland’s Quay – formerly Boland’s Mill – which has since sold to Google. In addition, Savills provided strategic consultancy regarding the future development of the former Irish Glass Bottle site in Dublin, where plans are in the pipeline for 1m sq. ft. of commercial development and 3,500 homes.

Bolands Mill is a mixed office and residential development. Basically what the Opera center could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Mc Love wrote: »
    Always a strange unit, very limited parking outside. Not sure what could work in there apart from office space

Last I read about it on LCC planning site it was to be a shop that sells lights

The traffic counting sensors have been installed on Corbally Road, Pa Healy Road & Athlunkard Street.

Imagine it is a further study for NDR

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

kilburn wrote: »
    The traffic counting sensors have been installed on Corbally Road, Pa Healy Road & Athlunkard Street.

Imagine it is a further study for NDR

They were doing what looked like an ordnance survey thing there earlier. Maybe just surveying the area near the round about.

Always felt myself that coming down Corbally Road, the left lane to go down Pa Healy Rd could start closer to the petrol station.

So the budget for the next three years is to be agreed by the councillors today. It apparently includes:-

€85m for the Opera Center which includes €27m for a new library.
    €8.1m for O'Connell St.
    €3m for a conference center at an as yet unknown site.
    €18.8m of flood defences on Kings Island.
    €8.1m on a UL to city center bus corridor.
    €33m for the second stage of the Coonagh to Knockalisheen road.

Full details in the Leader.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347868/capital-plan-629m-to-be-splashed-on-major-projects-in-limerick-in-draft-budget.html

A lot to analyse there. €27 million for the library is interesting. For comparison the dlrLexicon in Dun Laoghaire cost €36 million while the proposed new library at Parnell Square in Dublin is projected to cost around €100 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The road project is dubious. What kind of benefit are we getting for that huge amount of money, and might be cost us even more in the long run as it will undoubtedly lead to more sprawl, more traffic, more car dependency and a further undermining of the public transport system.

I hope the King's Island works will be more sympathetic than the hideous, and mostly unnecessary concrete wall constructed at Verdant Place in the last year or so.

The provision of 8 million for a bus corridor to Castletroy is great news.

I see that Mayor James Collins has a new blog post, where he says M&S should set up in the city centre and that he expects the Opera Project to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála in December and that UL will announce a move, of some sort, to the city centre in the coming months.

https://jamescollins.ie/f/why-ms-must-locate-in-city-centre-and-not-in-the-suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I must say James Collins seems to be really interested in pushing things forward properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

So the budget for the next three years is to be agreed by the councillors today. It apparently includes:-

€85m for the Opera Center which includes €27m for a new library.
    €8.1m for O'Connell St.
    €3m for a conference center at an as yet unknown site.
    €18.8m of flood defences on Kings Island
    €8.1m on a UL to city center bus corridor.
    €33m for the second stage of the Coonagh to Knockalisheen road.

Full details in the Leader.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347868/capital-plan-629m-to-be-splashed-on-major-projects-in-limerick-in-draft-budget.html

19 million on flood defences in Kings island and 3 million for a new conference centre? Looks like this should be the opposite way around :confused:

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    The road project is dubious. What kind of benefit are we getting for that huge amount of money, and might be cost us even more in the long run as it will undoubtedly lead to more sprawl, more traffic, more car dependency and a further undermining of the public transport system.

I thought you were well aware that Coonagh to Knockalisheen was part of the regeneration of Moyross and has nothing to do with the LNDR.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hope the King's Island works will be more sympathetic than the hideous, and mostly unnecessary concrete wall constructed at Verdant Place in the last year or so.

I see that Mayor James Collins has a new blog post, where he says M&S should set up in the city centre and that he expects the Opera Project to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála in December and that UL will announce a move, of some sort, to the city centre in the coming months.

https://jamescollins.ie/f/why-ms-must-locate-in-city-centre-and-not-in-the-suburbs

I've asked him twice now where he intends M&S to set up in the city with no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

If we want to take the traffic out of the city and put in bus and cycle lanes and pedestrian areas we need to take unnecessary traffic out of it , also a good number of streets as it stands with current traffic volumes could barely facilitate a cycle lane ,I personally(,even though I was against it when It was 1st touted) would like to see o Connell st (from at least Arthurs quay)and William street pedestrianised ,Which would then also have upper Sarsfield street taken in !
    It will only lead to more urban sprawl if we continue to plan badly and developing in the city is no easy feat either, car dependency won’t be affected by this "link road" it helps open up an area ,government and local policy on numerous car and public transport systems will ;lead to more car dependency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think MS setting up in the parkway valley or elsewhere doesn't or wouldn't hugely affect the city, if we continue to develop and rejuvenate areas in town and plan well, it shouldn't have an impact.The big issue before was this and good investment rather than what was being planned out of town.

I thought you were well aware that Coonagh to Knockalisheen was part of the regeneration of Moyross and has nothing to do with the LNDR.........

I am. But this is just about the worst way to regenerate a disadvantaged area.

(Sure, it's got nothing to do with the LNDR!)

Well the budget has been passed by 1 vote. 19 to 18. Not that it mattered. If they voted it down the city manager could just have dissolved the council, passed the budget and run everything until the elections in May.

FF & FG versus all the rest, presumably. I wonder what the contentious items were.

The flood defence money is money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

kilburn wrote: »
    The flood defence money is money well spent

The Kings Island has got so much potential imo.

An island on the amazing river shannon
    Scenic views with mountains in the backdrop
    Situated in a Medieval Quarter beside a Castle
    10 minute walk to the City Centre

If it were any other city the rich and famous would be living there.

Flood defenses if done properly will secure the islands residential future and enhance it.

• Advertisement

Agreed. However, the initial work doesn't augur well ...

Advertisement