Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

zulutango wrote: »
    It was one of five shortlisted sites, I think. Limerick would be very different, that's for sure. I think it's inconceivable that UL would have grown to the same extent though. Castletroy might still be a rural place with a smattering of houses.

Any links? Would be interested in reading up on this if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

kilburn wrote: »
    Believe it or not originally there was a University to be built on the island but the charter was not granted.

How different would Limerick be now if that happened

very interesting.... would have been a great addition to the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

mdmix wrote: »
    Any links? Would be interested in reading up on this if possible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/the-potential-is-obvious-1.6136

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Swimming is coming back to the river shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

My god is the water not filthy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

360km of animals ****eing into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No the water up by those baths is very clear! It's only muddy looking down past the falls!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

The Council have announced details on the Opera Site project public consultation where submissions can be made until 12 December 2018. There are also holding a number of public information evenings, with plans on display, in different locations regards the project & Limerick 2030.

Hopefully planning will be made to An Bord Pleanala before end of year.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/planning-and-property/development-plans/opera-site-development-public-consultation

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2018-11/Public%20Consultation%20Boards%20Framework%20November%202018.pdf

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2018-11/Design%20Brief%20Opera%20Site%20Limerick%20City%20April%202018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I thought UL was going to use some of this space ?Anyway i thinks its an odd design still , the plaza i dont know why you'd be walking through there ,someone needs to put a cinema in one of those commerical units ....imax !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Also I'm just skimming through it but whats this new city square?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Glenomra

wonderful plans for the proposed development. hope it becomes reality a soon as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

geotrig wrote: »
    Also I'm just skimming through it but whats this new city square?

I remember the original Limerick 2030 plan had traffic rerouted under the current Arthurs Quay park and a public square outside Pennys / Burger King. It's probably some future aspiration along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

geotrig wrote: »
    I thought UL was going to use some of this space ?

apparently the new president of UL is very vocal that he is not interested in having any sort of city center presence as it creates logistical challenges without any gains for UL. the mayor is saying otherwise, so maybe its just a tough stance to get a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

As a result of this the council will now be obliged to monitor water quality in The Shannon, something they haven't done for years. The water quality will only improve with people using it and it will be montiored to ensure stringent water safety standards. This can only be a good thing for the health and wellbeing of our cities river imo.

panda100 wrote: »
    As a result of this the council will now be obliged to monitor water quality in The Shannon, something they haven't done for years. The water quality will only improve with people using it and it will be montiored to ensure stringent water safety standards. This can only be a good thing for the health and wellbeing of our cities river imo.

Isn't that the EPAs job? There isn't much LCCC can do about what's being put into the river 150 miles upstream.

Isn't that the EPAs job? There isn't much LCCC can do about what's being put into the river 150 miles upstream.

The EPA only monitors bathing waters in formally identified designated bathing areas. It is generally local authorities that monitor and report on water quality in an undesignated area. That is why it is so essential to have a designated bathing area. Hopefully, the more an amenity like King's Island Baths are used it will achieved designated bathing area status and EPA will be legally obliged to monitor it.

The water quality is moderate at the moment but with public will and use of the river that can change. An increase in the water quality of The Shannon will not only be great for swimmers but the extensive marine and wildlife within this special area of conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

there has been a huge improvement in the water quality in the Shannon in the last 20 years.

Im old enough to just about remember the Corbally baths before they were closed to public swimming due to the pollution.

All big towns the length of the Shannon now have mains sewage treatment plants so the quality is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I've noticed the new Illuminated Features on William street that were part of the overall remodelling of the street are now in bad condition with some of the bulbs no longer working and in some cases the posters covering the bulbs completely ripped off

It's a pity to see features that were intended to improve and enhance the streetscape now being an eyesore.

There is also a street light no longer working at the Bank of Ireland building on O'Connell street which has been the case for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've noticed the new Illuminated Features on William street that were part of the overall remodelling of the street are now in bad condition with some of the bulbs no longer working and in some cases the posters covering the bulbs completely ripped off

It's a pity to see features that were intended to improve and enhance the streetscape now being an eyesore.

There is also a street light no longer working at the Bank of Ireland building on O'Connell street which has been the case for a long time

Not being a smartass here but have you reported any of these issues to the LA?

I find they welcome reports from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

phog wrote: »
    Not being a smartass here but have you reported any of these issues to the LA?

I find they welcome reports from the public.

Do you know their contact details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And @LimerickCouncil on twitter are very responsive

Limerick has been given funding by the government under the Urban Regeneration and Development Scheme.
    The article is typically for the Leader all over the place. It mentions 7 projects, but only lists 6 and it mentions a total €6m but the totals it lists add up to €13.5m Anyways these are the projects it lists.

€1.8m for the Opera Center.
    €900K for O'Connell St.
    €2.7m for the so called 'World class waterfront'. You'd think we'd have heard more about this by now.
    €2.7m for a digital virtual reality centre. I assume that's for the Rugby Experience.
    €2.7m for the Living Georgian City rejuvenation project.
    And €2.7m for a social and economic model. I've no idea what this is.

Limerick has been given funding by the government under the Urban Regeneration and Development Scheme.
    The article is typically for the Leader all over the place. It mentions 7 projects, but only lists 6 and it mentions a total €6m but the totals it lists add up to €13.5m Anyways these are the projects it lists.

€900K for O'Connell St.
    €2.7m for the so called 'World class waterfront'. You'd think we'd have heard more about this by now.
    €2.7m for a digital virtual reality centre. I assume that's for the Rugby Experience.

The fact that they keep calling it the "world class" waterfront makes me think it's going to be anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Glenomra

€900K for O'Connell St.
    Good news. more progress

Glenomra wrote: »
    Good news. more progress

Great to get funding but the lack of information regarding what these project actually entail is concerning. I do question this funding for a virtual reality centre, whatever that is. Would be much better to see money go towards some decent public infrastructure. I thought the rugby museum was securing money through this also? I hope that is not included under the rejuvenation of the Georgian quarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

€900K for O'Connell St.

The article actually says:

A ‘world class waterfront’ for the city centre has been given €2.7m in principle, while a social and economic model has also secured a share of €2.7m.

Seems like more of the usual pie in the sky stuff. All that money has been approved "in principle" and will probably be announced 4 or 5 more times in different guises.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

mdmix wrote: »
    apparently the new president of UL is very vocal that he is not interested in having any sort of city center presence as it creates logistical challenges without any gains for UL. the mayor is saying otherwise, so maybe its just a tough stance to get a good deal

Heads of universities are often quoted as saying having a connected and compact campus would be their greatest wish, just like UL is at present. Trinity, UCD are 2 examples of large, disconnected facilities, where it's impractical and wasteful for faculty and students. They both have buildings spread all over the city centre. Even having 1 branch in a disconnected area is disadvantageous.

With this knowledge already well known, it's ridiculous to try to separate any part of UL and locate in the city, and this must not happen to satisfy a council or other agenda.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

€2.7m for a digital virtual reality centre sounds potentially like an enormous waste of money. Trying to rack my brains for something that could be that would be a sensible use of funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

keane2097 wrote: »
    €2.7m for a digital virtual reality centre sounds potentially like an enormous waste of money. Trying to rack my brains for something that could be that would be a sensible use of funds.

A permanent traffic warden on William st would be a start.

Advertisement