Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

C0MO19jWIAAem9m.jpg:large

After doing a smart job refurbishing the Watergate flats complex two years ago, the Limerick Council then screw it all up by been an incompetent landlord. :mad:

A paid caretaker living on site would nip such problems below and save the taxpayer millions in protecting valuable housing stock.
    GN4_DAT_10899983.jpg--recent_photographs_taken_of_the_stairwell_in_the_watergate_flats.jpg

A mother with severe emphysema says she must climb up seven flights of stairs, through broken glass bottles, discarded needles and urine, to get to her apartment on the top floor of a complex in Limerick city.

The woman, who is currently living in an apartment in the Watergate Flats, says she is “living in fear” as a result of antisocial behaviour taking place in the building’s stairwell.

A broken main door is allowing “anyone from all walks of life to get in to do their drugs”, she believes. (Limerick Leader)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

godfrey wrote: »
    Heads of universities are often quoted as saying having a connected and compact campus would be their greatest wish, just like UL is at present. Trinity, UCD are 2 examples of large, disconnected facilities, where it's impractical and wasteful for faculty and students. They both have buildings spread all over the city centre. Even having 1 branch in a disconnected area is disadvantageous.

With this knowledge already well known, it's ridiculous to try to separate any part of UL and locate in the city, and this must not happen to satisfy a council or other agenda.

g

UCD??? City Centre???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A permanent traffic warden on William st would be a start.

That would probably raise €2.7M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

keane2097 wrote: »
    That would probably raise €2.7M.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

keane2097 wrote: »
    €2.7m for a digital virtual reality centre sounds potentially like an enormous waste of money. Trying to rack my brains for something that could be that would be a sensible use of funds.

Apparently the report is incorrect and €2.7M is the total for all category B projects so not just this digital virtual reality centre. I just think the whole reality centre sounds cringe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The council have a press release with a bit more info.

Funding has been received in Categories A and B. Category A projects are ‘Ready-to-go’ proposals that can be initiated in 2019 - have the necessary consents (e.g. planning) in place, be at an advanced stage of design and be procurement-ready.

Category B projects are proposals that require further development and that, subject to approval in principle, may be initiated in 2019 or in subsequent years.

Category A

Opera Project -

Funding sought for the non-commercial elements of the development – public realm, new city libraryand enabling works. €1,839,000

O'Connell Street-

Project seeks to position O’Connell Street as Limerick’s signature street. €905,000

University of Limerick - Digital District (Inner City Digital Hub)

Working in collaboration with Limerick City and County Council this project seeks to harness the potential of digital technology to help grow Limerick as a ‘smart’ city for the benefit of all citizens and visitors €750,000

Category B

Digital Collaboration and Virtual Reality Centre -
    Address building vacancy at No.’s 29 & 30 Cecil Street and to act as a catalyst for further investment and building refurbishment in the area. The Digital Collaboration and Virtual Reality Centre will work with multi-national companies (MNC’s), small-medium enterprises (SME’s), Start-Ups and third levels to facilitate the application and adoption of existing technology to solve business problems. The work of the centre will focus on business process improvement rather than new technology development.

Living Georgian City Programme -
    Focus on targeted interventions to renew vacant and underutilised stock, to increase the level of residential use in the city – investment model and governance structure, smart ageing homes demonstration project, laneways upgrade, development of a citizen participation platform

Social and Economic Model -
    Develop an input output model that will allow the impact of various investments to be properly assessed. It will initially assess the potential impact of the development of the Opera site.

World-class Waterfront -
    Implement one of the objectives of the Limerick 2030 Plan – a world-class waterfront by integrating the proposed flood defences under the CFRAMS programme with public realm works creating a linear link from the Docklands to King’s Island.

Clare County Council - The Venue Shannon (Strategic Masterplan)

Total of €2.7m for Category B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Living Georgian City Programme - Focus on targeted interventions to renew vacant and underutilised stock, to increase the level of residential use in the city – investment model and governance structure, smart ageing homes demonstration project, laneways upgrade, development of a citizen participation platform

Laneways upgrade hope that is the study that was shown recently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kilburn wrote: »
    Laneways upgrade hope that is the study that was shown recently

That concept was amazing, but looked like it would be a fairly big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

What is the inner city digital district? And does that mean the Travelodge, which currently has huge banners declaring it the digital district, will no longer be used for that purpose? Or will there be an inner city district and a county border district?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

iguana wrote: »
    What is the inner city digital district? And does that mean the Travelodge, which currently has huge banners declaring it the digital district, will no longer be used for that purpose? Or will there be an inner city district and a county border district?

The complex that houses the Travelodge is owned by UL and is the home of their CONFIRM research center. I doubt it has anything to do with the councils plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I would imagine that is to do with the Dominican center but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Newstalk Breakfast on the radio from The Strand hotel this morning. John Moran will be on discussing all things #LiveableLimerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

damowill wrote:
    Newstalk Breakfast on the radio from The Strand hotel this morning. John Moran will be on discussing all things #LiveableLimerick

Thought he spoke well. A lot of good points

He wants to open restaurants in Limerick, Cork and Galway apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »

John Moran?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Ya he didnt need to have an analogy, we get it. Limerick is an up and coming city with heaps of potential. It should be and is an alternative to investment in Dublin.

On a side note, the newstalk lads seemed to be in awe of Limericks scenery from the river! Its like they had landed from another country! I do think we need to market ourselves better as i believe its Ireland prettiest city. The problem is people even from Limerick think of O' Connell st, cruises st and a run down Georgian quarter when they think of Limerick as opposed to the river shannon, King johns castle and the Medievel quarter.

I honestly think we should keep saying it, over and over. This is Ireland's prettiest city.

We keep messing things up with really ill-conceived development though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I honestly think we should keep saying it, over and over. This is Ireland's prettiest city.

We keep messing things up with really ill-conceived development though.

It could be a brilliant USP alright.

damowill wrote: »
    On a side note, the newstalk lads seemed to be in awe of Limericks scenery from the river! Its like they had landed from another country! I do think we need to market ourselves better as i believe its Ireland prettiest city. The problem is people even from Limerick think of O' Connell st, cruises st and a run down Georgian quarter when they think of Limerick as opposed to the river shannon, King johns castle and the Medievel quarter.

+ 1 to this. Any visitors I have are always in awe when I bring them down to the river. I can't help but think Limerick Council's marketing team consistently get it so wrong when it comes to marketing our city. I see they paid for a big spread in Social and Personal magazine highlighting Limerick as a fashion destination for Christmas. Likewise, they are really pushing these Celia Holman Lee fashion shows as one of their main events for 'Christmas in Limerick'. They do the same for Riverfest. I love fashion but I don't know anyone who comes to Limerick because of a Celia Holman Lee fashion show. It's just all so dated.

They have this amazing marketing tool on their doorstep, The River Shannon, and yet no one in the country even knows it's there as our own council places fashion shows above our scenic riverside offerings.

Well, isn't that why they come up with the daft plan to build that footbridge? This shallow rhetoric that we must focus on the river leads to festivals like Riverfest and proposals to build Calatrava style structures into the middle of the Shannon. If the Council want to get more people coming to the city, more jobs, a better national and international reputation, they should do the simple things well instead of putting their faith in grand, ill-judged projects. Do the maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, protect the built heritage, reduce the number of cars, be firm with developers instead of permitting anything that lands on the planning desk, make many small incremental improvements. That's what's proven to work all over, not multi million euro vanity projects.

• Advertisement

Well, isn't that why they come up with the daft plan to build that footbridge? This shallow rhetoric that we must focus on the river leads to festivals like Riverfest and proposals to build Calatrava style structures into the middle of the Shannon. If the Council want to get more people coming to the city, more jobs, a better national and international reputation, they should do the simple things well instead of putting their faith in grand, ill-judged projects. Do the maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, protect the built heritage, reduce the number of cars, be firm with developers instead of permitting anything that lands on the planning desk, make many small incremental improvements. That's what's proven to work all over, not multi million euro vanity projects.

I knew you’d get a zulutango special in there somewhere. Agree with you on most points, to be fair, particularly maintenance and cleaning.

It's very relevant. No point in pretending it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Finishing the LNDR would greatly help reduce the number of cars coming through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    Finishing the LNDR would greatly help reduce the number of cars coming through the city.

Would you have any proof of this? Thats like saying Brexit will be good for Britain

phog wrote: »

So would a complete overhaul of the public transport network in Limerick. Speaking of has anyone seen that guy tweeting Bus Eireann on a daily basis about their incompetencies.

So would a complete overhaul of the public transport network in Limerick. Speaking of has anyone seen that guy tweeting Bus Eireann on a daily basis about their incompetencies.

Yeah @tomtdowling, hes studio ops manager at troy studios! The bus service is absolutely brutal in the mornings, and BE keep saying its traffic but the traffic isnt even an issue. Buses missing schedule or drivers being told to ignore advertised routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would you have any proof of this? Thats like saying Brexit will be good for Britain

Condell road and Ennis road were fully backed up from the city center every evening rush hour until the tunnel opened

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Mc Love wrote: »

Condell road and Ennis road were fully backed up from the city center every evening rush hour until the tunnel opened

Yes and the Ennis road is still busy every evening. As for the condell road, the tunnel alleviated some of that as far as Limerick harbour and then its gridlock from there to the SRR.

I see that Mike Finn's play on the Limerick Soviet is going to be held at Cleeves factory next year. With the long run of that play as well as the techno festival, it will be great to see Cleeves being used as a performance venue next year. Will be really interesting to see what is done to the space to hold these two events.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I see that Mike Finn's play on the Limerick Soviet is going to be held at Cleeves factory next year. With the long run of that play as well as the techno festival, it will be great to see Cleeves being used as a performance venue next year. Will be really interesting to see what is done to the space to hold these two events.

Is that techno festival happening? I feel like it was mooted but nothing came of it.

Bring back Paddy Expo

Advertisement