Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is that techno festival happening? I feel like it was mooted but nothing came of it.

It got 11000 in funding from the council earlier this year so definitely going ahead. It's called LEAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

panda100 wrote: »
    It got 11000 in funding from the council earlier this year so definitely going ahead. It's called LEAF.

It was supposed to happen in March though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

So would a complete overhaul of the public transport network in Limerick. Speaking of has anyone seen that guy tweeting Bus Eireann on a daily basis about their incompetencies.

No one is denying this in the road argument, we all want a better public transport network ,I'd love nothing more than to have bus and cycle lanes all over the city that connected and made cycling safe and bus's regular as well as adding options for travel that is not by car with predestrianising o' connel st and others
    But also I would like the road to balance the city and take some more unnecessary large vehicles from residental areas and better infrastructure for the north side of the city which development wise has been neglected for the most part.
    The urban sprawl is a nothing to do with these roads for the most part and has always been there , its more to do with policy's making it unattractive for developers and familys to not want to build and live in apartments. Also our "sprawl" isnt really a sprawl, limerick is relatively small.

Also the Ennis road , Condell road brookville ave /lit road has greatly benefited form the tunnel and traffic has drastically reduced on them compared to how it used to be.

Also would love a properly run Techno festival !:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I see the new lights at the Coonagh roundabout are lit this morning, think that's the first time they've been on. Looks a hell of a lot less scary to get around on a bike now since they upgraded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

keane2097 wrote: »
    I see the new lights at the Coonagh roundabout are lit this morning, think that's the first time they've been on. Looks a hell of a lot less scary to get around on a bike now since they upgraded it.

There's some very good new cycle infrastructure out there too, such as two way segragrated cycle tracks, traffic lights for bikes, etc. It's great to see this in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It was supposed to happen in March though?

I don't think so. In March the organisers spoke at the Cultural SPC to tout the idea of a festival in 2019. It's good that they have had a bit of time and funding so hopefully will be a decent enough festival next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I noticed that SFPC have put in an application for the first part of their port redevelopment around the clock tower. The interesting thing though is that part of the application is for a floating data center in the dock.

1. port enhancement works involving the removal and reorganisation of buildings and features adjacent to the 'Clock Tower' and; 2. the mooring of a floating vessel for the use of commercial data storage; construction of; a new industrial building comprising workshop with ancillary storage and office space;

The front page of the Leader is claiming 124 jobs, but that must be in construction as data centers wouldn't need anywhere that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I noticed that SFPC have put in an application for the first part of their port redevelopment around the clock tower. The interesting thing though is that part of the application is for a floating data center in the dock.

1. port enhancement works involving the removal and reorganisation of buildings and features adjacent to the 'Clock Tower' and; 2. the mooring of a floating vessel for the use of commercial data storage; construction of; a new industrial building comprising workshop with ancillary storage and office space;

The front page of the Leader is claiming 124 jobs, but that must be in construction as data centers wouldn't need anywhere that number.

The floating vessel would concern me, they will probably buy the vessel fully fitted out so i doubt there would be any Irish labour involved....I could be wrong tho

tweek84 wrote: »
    The floating vessel would concern me, they will probably buy the vessel fully fitted out so i doubt there would be any Irish labour involved....I could be wrong tho

The jobs are probably for the on land construction. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any shipyards in Ireland capable of building such a vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the advantage of having a data centre on a boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the advantage of having a data centre on a boat?

Cheaper cooling, avoid planning regulations etc, but it's already been tried and failed in other countries so I don't know why they think Limerick would be different (I haven't seen the article).

The article in now up online.

the Shannon Foynes Port Company has teamed up with Californian firm Nautilus, which plans to moor a floating vessel providing commercial data storage at Ted Russell Dock.

A revolutionary concept, Nautilus Data Technology employs water cooling technology in its data centres, meaning they operate more efficiently and less expensively than traditional land-based facilities.

the development, if it gets planning permission, would create around 24 permanent positions, as well as 100 roles during construction

n terms of the size of the data centre, Mr Connaughton said it will match that of current vessels at the docks.

According to planning documents, the data barge will be secured the quay wall similar to the manner of other mooring vessels.

Access to the vessel will be by gangway access ramp, and there will be an overhead gangway cable to the adjacent quayside.

The barge will comprise of four data halls comprised within two floors above the barge deck, with supporting cooling and electrical systems below the waterline.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I welcome the data centre development, anything that helps get rid of that utter disgrace eyesore scrapyard is to be welcomed, how that was ever allowed is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jbkenn wrote: »
    I welcome the data centre development, anything that helps get rid of that utter disgrace eyesore scrapyard is to be welcomed, how that was ever allowed is beyond me.

Because there's money in scrap metal and to transport the large quantities of it we have if easier by boat

Mc Love wrote: »
    Because there's money in scrap metal and to transport the large quantities of it we have if easier by boat

I think we're all aware of that. The question is why it was allowed to be in that location so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I viewed the presentation on the Opera centre. Very impressive imo. Hope it gets underway as quickly as possible. Badly needed. Anyone else attend a viewing. Also on today and I think tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

I think we're all aware of that. The question is why it was allowed to be in that location so long.

Its a working docks, they load stuff on and off boats. How else do you propose that YOUR junk be recycled?

It's an improved plan from the one they had prepared a year ago. I'd query the 60% office allocation though. Most of that is to be made up by Revenue staff moving across the road from Sarsfield House. Seems a pitiful waste of resources to be honest. The 15 storey tower, which is to house the Revenue staff, is a ridiculous proposal for that part of town. Hard to see that being permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

zulutango wrote: »
    Hard to see that being permitted.

Why so? Surely making the most of the site and getting people to work in the City is a good plan in the overall scheme?

jasper100 wrote: »
    Its a working docks, they load stuff on and off boats. How else do you propose that YOUR junk be recycled?

I don't create huge piles is rusty metal. MY recycling involves cardboard boxes and milk cartons. The metal recycling pile isn't being gotten rid of, it's being moved to to other end of the dock. It should have been moved years ago instead of being piled up beside one of the top hotels in the city.

• Advertisement

The 15 storey tower, which is to house the Revenue staff, is a ridiculous proposal for that part of town. Hard to see that being permitted.

Why is it hard to see it being permitted? Limerick already has buildings of similar height along the river and has granted planning (upheld by ABP) for another. This while not along the Shannon is also a riverside location.

And to be honest it's the same as the original plan, so I don;t know how it's taken you by surprise.

Why so? Surely making the most of the site and getting people to work in the City is a good plan in the overall scheme?

To begin with, the tower will be for the people who already work in the city, currently in Sarsfield House. So, there's no net gain in office personnel. Secondly, height is an issue. Tall buildings are refused permission frequently because of the context they're in. This will be loom over both the Georgian and Medieval areas, including many protected structures.

And to be honest it's the same as the original plan, so I don;t know how it's taken you by surprise.

Where did I say it's taken me by surprise?

To begin with, the tower will be for the people who already work in the city, currently in Sarsfield House. So, there's no net gain in office personnel. Secondly, height is an issue. Tall buildings are refused permission frequently because of the context they're in. This will be loom over both the Georgian and Medieval areas, including many protected structures.

Ah, the An Taisce mindset. Luckily, that's being ignored recently in Limerick.
    Where did I say it's taken me by surprise?

Well it seemed from your post that you hadn't realised that a tower was proposed at that site and that the Revenue Commissioners were moving in. All of which has been common knowledge for quite some time.

Well it seemed from your post that you hadn't realised that a tower was proposed at that site and that the Revenue Commissioners were moving in. All of which has been common knowledge for quite some time.

No, you seem to be seeing things that aren't there.

So what's an acceptable height for you to build on that site?

So what's an acceptable height for you to build on that site?

Similar to the existing parapet line.

We've seen from the Rugby Experience that this is not seen as an issue, by either LCCC or ABP. I fully expect this to get permission.

Four storey over basement so. Where do you fit proposed high rise in a Georgian City like Limerick then? Surely any tall building will overlook a Georgian part of the City?

• Advertisement

We've seen from the Rugby Experience that this is not seen as an issue, by either LCCC or ABP. I fully expect this to get permission.

Rugby Experience is nowhere near the same height, about half I think. It's also not in as prominent a location.

Do you have no issue with the height?

Advertisement