Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Arrival wrote: »
    Sarsfield House absolutely has to go. Why would you want to polish a ****? You're talking about turning a 5 storey building into luxury apartments lol. No wonder the city is in the state it is. Limerick could be an incredible city famous around Europe yet here we are, eternally held back by small mindedness and completely lacking in innovation. Even the Opera Centre isn't maximising the potential it has

Anyone who has issues with building high buildings, buildings which maximise the area within THE VERY CENTER OF THE CITY, is a troglodyte. Go live in a cottage in the sticks. Cities around the world are expanding quicker than ever. Yes, sudden development of towers may be overbearing - ONLY IN SOME PEOPLE'S OPINIONS - to surrounding old fashioned buildings but these are inevitably going to happen anyway so trying to do some kind of gradual development where we build slightly higher buildings over a number of decades is the approach of a dumbass. Build as high and as dense within the very centre of Limerick and avoid the same fate as Dublin for goodness sake.

Tell me this. Why is it that we allow huge Churches with steeples much higher than ANY high rise buildings (and make no mistake, we don't have ANY skyscrapers in this stupid country, 40+ storeys is a skyscraper and there isn't a single one even close to that) even though these churches are only used for a few hours each week when high rise apartments built to the same height as these wastes of space could house hundreds of people at all times. Housing as many people as possible within the centre of the city and in the near surrounding areas is far more important than providing shelter for people to say their prayers. And for any morons who'll possibly reply to this with an ad hominem; I'm not saying to demolish any Churches, I'm saying if churches can be built so tall then so can housing which serves a much more important purpose
    That's all very well and fine but Sarsfield House is right next to the Hunt Museum and a key site on the waterfront scape. It doesn't matter how much you love your super duper mega high rises, anyone who thinks that anything higher than the current building would be allowed to be built there is delusional. Never happening, for obvious reasons. So it's either level it or re-purpose it. And what's the 'lol' about? Luxury apartments over-looking the river? A mad concept altogether isn't it? You really should think before you go calling people 'dumbasses', a bit of self awareness would be a good start :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 73hdkgo

Copy of the 'Worldclass Waterfront' application available here. https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/ecf6f285-72da-427a-9cf0-b5ed6dd927e1/downloads/1cuc9o8e4_67906.pdf

rs=w:1280

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I notice €20m for three bridges in the proposal.

1. Bridge 1 - Crossing the River Shannon from Bishop’s Quay to O’Callaghan Strand, facilitating permeability from
    the City Centre to the north side of the city at Strandville Gardens and access to the strategic development site
    at Cleeves and the former Salesians post-primary school.
    2. Bridge 2 – Bank Place/Michael Street to George’s Quay, linking the new Opera Centre Development to King’s
    Island and providing the Georgian grid link that is severed by the Abbey river.
    3. Bridge 3 - Replacing Sylvester O’Halloran Footbridge with a new fit for purpose Bridge linking Arthur’s Quay area
    to King’s Island and allowing continuity of the riverside walkways providing a huge amenity for Limerick residents
    and visitors

I like the idea of a pedestrian / cycling bridge across the Shannon and the replacement of the Sylvester O'Halloran bridge, but I'm not really sure that bridge 2 is needed. Mathew Bridge is about 50m from the site and is more than adequate for pedestrian traffic. Especially when the bridge would only be depositing you outside Barringtons Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I notice €20m for three bridges in the proposal.

1. Bridge 1 - Crossing the River Shannon from Bishop’s Quay to O’Callaghan Strand, facilitating permeability from
    the City Centre to the north side of the city at Strandville Gardens and access to the strategic development site
    at Cleeves and the former Salesians post-primary school.
    2. Bridge 2 – Bank Place/Michael Street to George’s Quay, linking the new Opera Centre Development to King’s
    Island and providing the Georgian grid link that is severed by the Abbey river.
    3. Bridge 3 - Replacing Sylvester O’Halloran Footbridge with a new fit for purpose Bridge linking Arthur’s Quay area
    to King’s Island and allowing continuity of the riverside walkways providing a huge amenity for Limerick residents
    and visitors

I like the idea of a pedestrian / cycling bridge across the Shannon and the replacement of the Sylvester O'Halloran bridge, but I'm not really sure that bridge 2 is needed. Mathew Bridge is about 50m from the site and is more than adequate for pedestrian traffic. Especially when the bridge would only be depositing you outside Barringtons Hospital.

Bridge 1,
    i think is welcome. Shannon bridge and Sarsfield bridge are not particularly safe for cyclists or pedestrians. The footbridge would be really beneficially to people living on the north-side of the city.
    Bridge 3
    I do like the idea of the river boardwalk at Howley’s Quay along Merchant’s Quay to King John’s Castle, which include bridge 3, across the abbey river to replace Sylvester O'Halloran bridge. The issue with Sylvester O'Halloran bridge is that it takes you away from the river to the potato market which is now a car park, and a lot of the time is closed for access. A tourist would most likely not walk along to Merchants quay from here so the new boardwalk/bridge will bring continuity along the river towards the castle with access to Merchants Quay/St Marys Cathedral.
    Bridge 2,
    like Cookie i am wondering where the need is here, I would much prefer to see a bridge to the unused parkland beside Grove Island

Apart from the above the proposals mention a lot of upgrade to public realms like Arthurs Quay and Merchants Quay. Hopefully these are done well. If so the Limerick will be the envy of the rest of irish cities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Looks like a good plan particularly impressed with the sections addressing flood defenses

• Advertisement

Great to see that Aidan Brooks is back investing in Limerick hopefully it is the start of more private developers showing an interest in the city and its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Limericks version of live at the marquee is coming next year. 3,500 capacity and Jenny Greene first act lined up

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/352941/major-limerick-concert-to-kick-off-new-marquee-live-at-the-docklands-series.html#.XBFDI9ALyIY.facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

kilburn wrote: »
    Great to see that Aidan Brooks is back investing in Limerick hopefully it is the start of more private developers showing an interest in the city and its potential.

What's he investing in?

pigtown wrote: »
    What's he investing in?

He bought the Ardhu for €6.5m.

Why do we have to copy others with the marque we are better than that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Because Thomond is too big for most artists who would come to Limerick and King Johns of the Big Top are too small

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

lockman wrote: »

As they were putting in new bins anyway, should have gone for recycling bins.

Limerick91 wrote:
    Because Thomond is too big for most artists who would come to Limerick and King Johns of the Big Top are too small

My point was cant we not come up with something new innovative

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My point was cant we not come up with something new innovative

It's a music venue, you can either put it in a building, a field or a tent - what are you hoping for an underwater stage or something?

keane2097 wrote:
    It's a music venue, you can either put it in a building, a field or a tent - what are you hoping for an underwater stage or something?

My god its brutal in here these days my point was why do we have to copy the marquee idea not just music but in general full stop surely we can come up with something new and innovative ourselves that isn't copying another city or town.

My god its brutal in here these days my point was why do we have to copy the marquee idea not just music but in general full stop surely we can come up with something new and innovative ourselves that isn't copying another city or town.

Music venues everywhere in the world are big rooms, big fields or big marquees. Are you saying they should innovate something that isn't a music venue or they should innovate a new type of music venue?

Or just not use the word marquee because Cork use the word marquee for their thing?

Oh my god i am talking about in General for something new in Limerick lets not copy other places lets do our own thing whether its music art comedy or tiddly winks

Oh my god i am talking about in General for something new in Limerick lets not copy other places lets do our own thing whether its music art comedy or tiddly winks

Is it setting up a music venue in the docklands you don't think is a good idea, or the type of music venue they are setting up, or the branding of the idea?

Like, I'm genuinely asking - I can't figure out which element you are unhappy about.

My point is to come up with a new event for Limerick its copying somewhere else nothing to do with music

• Advertisement

My point is to come up with a new event for Limerick its copying somewhere else nothing to do with music

Are you saying that trying to set up a series of music concerts is Limerick a bad idea because it's copying somewhere else?

Ugh, maybe I'm being dense here I'm looking at my laptop screen in total bafflement.

No i didnt say that any new event to better Limerick is great but lets be imaginative

I am baffled looking at mine too its a simple point lets create something new for Limerick not copy other places successful events.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Are you saying that trying to set up a series of music concerts is Limerick a bad idea because it's copying somewhere else?

Ugh, maybe I'm being dense here I'm looking at my laptop screen in total bafflement.

The phrase unique selling point has come up a lot in here recently. This most definitely doesn't have one. By all means have a music festival, but come up with something original that will bring people from around the country. Jenny Greene repeating something that was popular elsewhere doesn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I agree with you.

Cleeves is ripe for hosting a few concerts and small festivals like this, it's courtyard can take 3,500 (albeit with a bit of work), probably about half a dozen other smaller venues that could take another 2,000.

I know there is a festival there next year, and I believe a production in relation to the Limerick Soviet.

It is a savage venue, full of industrial history and grittiness and would in my opinion be the one of the best venues in the country, a short stroll from downtown.

Thank You !

Cleeves is a great venue as long as they include a small area to remember the history of the place would be a big draw for tourists

I wonder do people from Limerick realise the significance of the site.

The phrase unique selling point has come up a lot in here recently. This most definitely doesn't have one. By all means have a music festival, but come up with something original that will bring people from around the country. Jenny Greene repeating something that was popular elsewhere doesn't do that.

I suppose there's a business case for starting relatively small with things that are likely to sell well.

There was an interesting exchange on the gigs forum a few weeks ago where, ironically, people were bemoaning the bookings at the Marquee in Cork:
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Christy Moore playing his annual Live At The Marquee gig in Cork on Saturday 6th July
    Yes, how dare they book an act that sells out virtually every year.

BURN THEM!!!!
    As you probably know the marquee is the only opportunity for a potential major international act to play somewhere like cork. Why not try and offer up a slot to one of these bands rather than give it to someone who plays far smaller venues in cork on a regular basis?

It's a lazy booking...
    It's a succesful booking. Aiken aren't a semi state. Their function is to make money.

It's like saying the Corona's are a lazy booking. They sell out.

If you are running a multi - gig event, you layer it with mainly guaranteed sell out shows and a small number of riskier 'credible acts.' That's how you get enough of a guaranteed return to stay in business.

The gig going public is so fickle and has so much choice these days you would be mad to do otherwise.

Your totally missing the point

Your totally missing the point

Sure I suppose we'll just have to try and get over it at this stage.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a business or group in the city trying to use a model that's proven successful elsewhere to try and set up events that people in the city might enjoy.

If someone else manages to come up good ideas for new events I'll be totally delighted and in favour of that too. Giving out about a new venture for the city because it's not the first time it's been done anywhere seems a bit churlish to me.

I am not giving out about it though read all my posts i am happy we have a new event but floated why cant we come up with our own ideas.

Churlish is a bit of a leap also

• Advertisement

I am not giving out about it though read all my posts i am happy we have a new event but floated why cant we come up with our own ideas.

I did think you were giving out but I accept that you say you weren't so hopefully that will be the end of my crossed wires!

In fairness, this year we had the Eva International programme, a new Fringe Festival, the Halloween stuff which was brilliant - next year as mentioned there's this techno festival (I think) planned for Cleeves and we can be sure anything they do around the Soviet will be totally unique. Turning the docklands into a music venue will be fairly interesting itself purely from a setting point of view.

On one of the other threads someone was complaining that Limerick doesn't have Christmas Markets and Ferris Wheels like all the other cities, I suppose you need a mix of what works everywhere to go along with what's edgy or innovative.

Advertisement