Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

keane2097 wrote:
    On one of the other threads someone was complaining that Limerick doesn't have Christmas Markets and Ferris Wheels like all the other cities, I suppose you need a mix of what works everywhere to go along with what's edgy or innovative.

Agreed and to be fair we have a perfect location for a Christmas market but we use it as a car park.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Remember the time we tried the floating Christmas tree? That was fairly innovative... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Remember the time we tried the floating Christmas tree? That was fairly innovative... :pac:

Best Christmas ever!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jesus wept, Kilburn, as you much as you give out about Zulutango, you're actually saying we cant have our own music event because we're copying someone else's idea!?

So lets not bring any of the worlds top music artists to the city because they have sang somewhere else?! Lets not have a food fest because they had it in another city first.
    kilburn wrote: »
    Agreed and to be fair we have a perfect location for a Christmas market but we use it as a car park.

We have all these people that travel in cars, because we dont have adequate public transport/cycling infrastructure, I wonder what will entice them to come into the city, given the one thing they say about the out of town shopping centers, oh yeah thats right, they have free parking.

Hey, do you know what would be a good idea, build a northern ring road, so that more cars can access the out of town shopping centers!

I never said that at all Mc Love.

You have edited your post now going on about the ring road and free parking.

This is the Limerick improvement thread.

I will clarify again for you. I never once said that i was against any new event or music festival i even welcomed it my point which some people have got is that lets try and do something new to put Limerick on the map and not copy our neighbours not just around music events.

As for the market car park its s great location for a Christmas market extending over the bridge to the back of the hunt museum cant believe anyone would argue that.

• Advertisement

Why do we have to copy others with the marque we are better than that.....

Let's build a Concert venue, oh yes, we'd be copying the Three Arena, ho hum, why dont we have ever get any good names in Limerick.
    My point was cant we not come up with something new innovative

Something doesnt have to be new or innovative, when something brings money into the local economy, whether it be hotels, shopping, etc on the back of having a concert in the Docklands. Getting rid of the so called eyesore.
    My god its brutal in here these days my point was why do we have to copy the marquee idea not just music but in general full stop surely we can come up with something new and innovative ourselves that isn't copying another city or town.

Any idea's of what we can do? You've started off saying we dont think of anything ourselves, but yet provide no idea's yourself. And I wonder if anything you do suggest, hasnt been done elsewhere, because you know we wont be able to do it, because its not original or innovative
    Oh my god i am talking about in General for something new in Limerick lets not copy other places lets do our own thing whether its music art comedy or tiddly winks

Again, please share your idea's!
    My point is to come up with a new event for Limerick its copying somewhere else nothing to do with music

Its a new event for Limerick, not somewhere else, it would be different if lets say someone decided to start another marquee concert in Cork city out by Mahon point.
    No i didnt say that any new event to better Limerick is great but lets be imaginative

I am baffled looking at mine too its a simple point lets create something new for Limerick not copy other places successful events.

Ok, you're not against any new event, but we have to be a bit more imaginative when it comes to copying others, is that what you are saying?
    Thank You !

Cleeves is a great venue as long as they include a small area to remember the history of the place would be a big draw for tourists

I wonder do people from Limerick realise the significance of the site.

I'm sure a lot of people do, and a lot of people dont realise the significance of the site.

So we do something in Cleeves, maybe like a music venue but considering the capacity, we're unlikely to have half as many people attend, and even if we do build a concert venue, we shouldnt do it because it would be copying someone else?

Is there anything I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

keane2097 wrote: »
    I did think you were giving out but I accept that you say you weren't so hopefully that will be the end of my crossed wires!

In fairness, this year we had the Eva International programme, a new Fringe Festival, the Halloween stuff which was brilliant - next year as mentioned there's this techno festival (I think) planned for Cleeves and we can be sure anything they do around the Soviet will be totally unique. Turning the docklands into a music venue will be fairly interesting itself purely from a setting point of view.

On one of the other threads someone was complaining that Limerick doesn't have Christmas Markets and Ferris Wheels
    like all the other cities, I suppose you need a mix of what works everywhere to go along with what's edgy or innovative.

It wasn't complaining - more of an observation how the city could take advantage of the Christmas season to create more footfall & an atmosphere that would last a good month or so in Limerick.

It seems to be working for other cities in the country as I was in both Cork & Galway (as far as I know Waterford run a festival called Winterval) in the last couple of weeks & they were buzzing. Someone also commented on the other thread that Limerick shouldn't copy or emulate other cities in regards to Xmas mkts - if it creates an atmosphere and increased footfall I can only see it as a good thing. Why not have a market in Limerick instead of Limerick people leaving the city on a Sunday to travel to the likes of Galway to experience it.

That whole area by the potato market would have been ideal to accommodate both a Ferris wheel & an Xmas market - or they could have put the market in Arthurs Quay & the skating at the Potatoe mkt.

I give up there is no talking to some people

Not quite sure if i bullied you in school or something but no idea why you are badgering me and chasing me around every thread.

I give up there is no talking to some people

Not quite sure if i bullied you in school or something but no idea why you are badgering me and chasing me around every thread.

Oh haha absolutely hilarious, this is the first thread, I've callled you out on your BS responses.

I responded to each of your posts on the docklands concert, yet you cant reply or even give one innovative and I stress original event/attraction that would entice people to Limerick as a tourist destination.

That whole area by the potato market would have been ideal to accommodate both a Ferris wheel & an Xmas market - or they could have put the market in Arthurs Quay & the skating at the Potatoe mkt.

But but, where would people park?? Oh I couldnt be bothered going into town if I cant park my car anywhere near this :D

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Oh haha absolutely hilarious, this is the first thread, I've callled you out on your BS responses.

I responded to each of your posts on the docklands concert, yet you cant reply or even give one innovative and I stress original event/attraction that would entice people to Limerick as a tourist destination.

Lad really i dont get what is going on with you at all

I NEVER ONCE SAID I AM AGAINST IT OR MADE BS COMMENTS ABOUT IT !!!!!!!

I said lets come up with something new and original

Why are you looking for an argument???

Happy Christmas MC Love

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It wasn't complaining - more of an observation how the city could take advantage of the Christmas season to create more footfall & an atmosphere that would last a good month or so in Limerick.

It seems to be working for other cities in the country as I was in both Cork & Galway (as far as I know Waterford run a festival called Winterval) in the last couple of weeks & they were buzzing. Someone also commented on the other thread that Limerick shouldn't copy or emulate other cities in regards to Xmas mkts - if it creates an atmosphere and increased footfall I can only see it as a good thing.

I completely agree that it makes sense to try and start local versions of things like Xmas markets that are a major success all over Europe, music festivals etc.

Tbh I don't really understand the sentiment of 'don't copy other cities' on these sorts of generalised events which have broad appeal.

Like, if someone says don't copy Galway by trying to have an Oyster Festival I can understand that because it's very specific and the market probably doesn't exist for two oyster events an hour away from one another, but Xmas markets? Come on, everywhere puts them on because people love them and they make money - what's not to like?

Innovative ideas are the ultimate and it's brilliant if someone comes up with one, but they're not exactly easy to just pluck from the ether. While we're waiting for someone to come up with them I think it would be mad to pass up on proven winners because we have an inferiority complex that gets a twinge at the prospect of copying something that Cork or Galway or whoever copied from someone else anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

keane2097, Mclove and Kilburn. Please stop!!! I like this thread, you are all dragging it into the gutter!! Go have a coffee or something stronger!!!

Its Friday.....

Lad really i dont get what is going on with you at all

I NEVER ONCE SAID I AM AGAINST IT OR MADE BS COMMENTS ABOUT IT !!!!!!!

I said lets come up with something new and original

Why are you looking for an argument???

Happy Christmas MC Love

Cool down man, just look at all the comments I quoted, I just want to know what innovative and I stress original event/attraction that would entice people to Limerick as a tourist destination that you suggest we should be doing instead of copying other cities?

You still haven't suggested anything despite me asking twice if not more already. You keep saying it but havent suggested anything, that hasnt been done before.

No argument here, i'm just looking for you to provide something new and original, because I'd hate to think we'd be copying someone else and thus not creating our own USP.

Many Happy Returns kilburn

damowill wrote: »
    keane2097, Mclove and Kilburn. Please stop!!! I like this thread, you are all dragging it into the gutter!! Go have a coffee or something stronger!!!

Its Friday.....

I like this thread too

Its Friday.....

Ha! Must be nice clean gutters out your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I completely agree that it makes sense to try and start local versions of things like Xmas markets that are a major success all over Europe, music festivals etc.

Tbh I don't really understand the sentiment of 'don't copy other cities' on these sorts of generalised events which have broad appeal.

Like, if someone says don't copy Galway by trying to have an Oyster Festival I can understand that because it's very specific and the market probably doesn't exist for two oyster events an hour away from one another, but Xmas markets? Come on, everywhere puts them on because people love them and they make money - what's not to like?

Innovative ideas are the ultimate and it's brilliant if someone comes up with one, but they're not exactly easy to just pluck from the ether. While we're waiting for someone to come up with them I think it would be mad to pass up on proven winners because we have an inferiority complex that gets a twinge at the prospect of copying something that Cork or Galway or whoever copied from someone else anyway.

Limerick people leave the city to travel to Galway & Cork to experience Xmas markets at the weekend - makes no sense to me when they could create their own version in Limerick

Its Friday.....

I just had my coffee :eek:
    I like this thread too

Yet another response with no original idea put forward?

I like this thread too, but I'm just looking for a response to this magical unicorn, that doesnt exist that hasnt been done before. Like keane2097 said "I think it would be mad to pass up on proven winners because we have an inferiority complex that gets a twinge at the prospect of copying something that Cork or Galway or whoever copied from someone else anyway.

Xmas markets? Come on, everywhere puts them on because people love them and they make money - what's not to like?"

EDIT: Can I just say if you dont have any ideas, then dont bother suggesting we shouldn't copy others especially if you're not going to put forward any idea's yourself. Thats the only way this discussion (not argument) ends. Or unless a Mod says otherwise

Mc Love wrote: »
    I just had my coffee :eek:

Yet another response with no original idea put forward?

I like this thread too, but I'm just looking for a response to this magical unicorn, that doesnt exist that hasnt been done before. Like keane2097 said "I think it would be mad to pass up on proven winners because we have an inferiority complex that gets a twinge at the prospect of copying something that Cork or Galway or whoever copied from someone else anyway.

Xmas markets? Come on, everywhere puts them on because people love them and they make money - what's not to like?"

EDIT: Can I just say if you dont have any ideas, then dont bother suggesting we shouldn't copy others especially if you're not going to put forward any idea's yourself. Thats the only way this discussion (not argument) ends. Or unless a Mod says otherwise

Not aware of any inferiority complex in Limerick.

I have ideas actually discussed one with Failte Ireland and the council for funding, will provide further details when i get it off the ground until then i cant comment on it.

A previous mod on this forum had a great original idea for Limerick with his Zombie fest.

We need to embrace the river and use its full potential, tide dependent we could have water boat taxis to the Airport that is unique.

We should be doing day tours from the City out the estuary maybe someone has looked at these from a profit perspective i dont know.

If we are going to copy people that is fine but we have to do it better thats my point

Delighted you've submitted something! Hopefully it gets the funding!

Water boat taxis is pretty unique to Ireland, but cost and tides will impact it. 27 mins by road - if its faster by boat, it probably would have been done.

Zombie Fest - you could say it was kind of a fad, and numbers probably dropping caused it to stop, I've no idea tbh. But then again Pig N Porter seems to go from strength to strength.

I know we used to have a hovercraft which I thought was blooming brilliant thing to have in the city, and wouldnt have depended on the tides. Sadly I never got to go on!

Maybe if we tied the Docklands Concerts into the EVA or under that banner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK lets all take a breath here and calm down. Stick to the topic at hand and not just attacking the poster.

Not aware of any inferiority complex in Limerick.

I have ideas actually discussed one with Failte Ireland and the council for funding, will provide further details when i get it off the ground until then i cant comment on it.

A previous mod on this forum had a great original idea for Limerick with his Zombie fest.

We need to embrace the river and use its full potential, tide dependent we could have water boat taxis to the Airport that is unique.

We should be doing day tours from the City out the estuary maybe someone has looked at these from a profit perspective i dont know.

If we are going to copy people that is fine but we have to do it better thats my point

Fair play! Looking forward to hearing the ideas, best of luck with getting the funding etc.

I had forgotten about the Zombie festival, that was great fun and a great idea.

I think I remember someone saying there's a problem with the depth of the river bed or something when I asked why you don't see more boats going up and down the river?

I always thought it would be class if you had the sort of water taxis they do up and down the river in Bangkok on a smaller scale but I presume the Curragower falls and stuff like that make it a no go.

Gaspode wrote: »
    OK lets all take a breath here and calm down. Stick to the topic at hand and not just attacking the poster.

Bit late, it all worked itself out Gaspode :D
    Fair play! Looking forward to hearing the ideas, best of luck with getting the funding etc.

I had forgotten about the Zombie festival, that was great fun and a great idea.

I think I remember someone saying there's a problem with the depth of the river bed or something when I asked why you don't see more boats going up and down the river?

I always thought it would be class if you had the sort of water taxis they do up and down the river in Bangkok on a smaller scale but I presume the Curragower falls and stuff like that make it a no go.

A hovercraft, you'd think would be faster by road? But not by much, but could you imagine getting off a plane and getting a hovercraft into the city

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Actually i take it back, keep arguing away!! Water Boat taxis to the Airport! That's a bit aloof but nonetheless a very interesting notion however i'd imagine the journey time wouldnt be any quicker than by bus/car.

What might fly however is water-taxi to UL via the Canal. The Council are looking at a bus corridor from the City Centre to UL. Here you have one. Bus times to UL are never on time and frequency is irregular so could be a winner.

I like it Damo! by moving buses to the water, we'd have enough room for segregated cycle lanes to UL but there is one, but I know for some people that dont live close to UL wouldnt use it because of it adding time to their journey

Actually i take it back, keep arguing away!! Water Boat taxis to the Airport! That's a bit aloof but nonetheless a very interesting notion however i'd imagine the journey time wouldnt be any quicker than by bus/car.

What might fly however is water-taxi to UL via the Canal. The Council are looking at a bus corridor from the City Centre to UL. Here you have one. Bus times to UL are never on time and frequency is irregular so could be a winner.

That would be class.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Canal tram. I can see it now. :-)

Main issue would be not staying at the Locke bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Limerick people leave the city to travel to Galway & Cork to experience Xmas markets at the weekend - makes no sense to me when they could create their own version in Limerick

Really don't know anyone who has gone to cork or Galway for the markets. The Galway one has been poor enough for the last couple of years. A few years ago I knew people who did travel, but this year I honestly haven't met one person who has bothered. Anecodtal yes, but to most I know they couldn't be bothered. Irish Xmas markets are not that big a draw because most of them are very similar and just not that good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That canal / river taxi idea comes around frequently. It's our very own monorail project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

zulutango wrote: »
    That canal / river taxi idea comes around frequently. It's our very own monorail project.
    I remember your man...Adams ?.. who had the hovercraft down at the docks in the early 90s. He wanted to set up a service down the river to Bunratty and/or Shannon but he never got it going. As an aside , I booked 2 seperate gigs on the same day during the week - both in Limerick in the new year. John Grant in UL and Sleaford Mods in Dolans. Normally these are gigs you would have to travel to Cork or Dublin to see... def a sign things are improving in Limerick I think

Advertisement