Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

gryff wrote: »
    I remember your man...Adams ?.. who had the hovercraft down at the docks in the early 90s. He wanted to set up a service down the river to Bunratty and/or Shannon but he never got it going.

I remember it well. I thought he did get it going for a while? Can't find much online about it.

And, of course, there was Emelyn Heaps a few years back who sought planning consent for a seaplane operation to/from Aran Islands and Dublin, with a hub at Mountshannon in East Clare. That went nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

He ran it as a kind of weekend pleasure trip service for a while - I took a spin down beyond Coonagh on it one Saturday. The view as you come back up river of the city is far better than anyone you have by road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There already is a river taxi in Limerick! His name is Pat Lysaght! Gave us a lift from Arthur's Quay to Athlunkard Boat club last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

pigtown wrote: »
    This is a thread for discussion on projects that have already been proposed. It isn't a thread for discussing new ideas for the city. We already have enough of those. It is also not a place to engage in council/goverment bashing. It's just a thread where people can let the rest of us know if there is any movement on some projects
    Just reposting the very first post of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

So does anyone have a list of projects that are currently taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

pigtown wrote: »
    Just reposting the very first post of the thread

Now lads, ye've been told :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Double post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rebs23 wrote: »
    So does anyone have a list of projects that are currently taking place?

I don't think there's much actually going on at the minute other than the final stages of the Gardens building. There are some things due to kick off next year such as the the next stage of the Parnell St upgrade and the second stage of the Coonagh to Knockalisheen road. We should get the Opera center and O'Connell St into planning in 2019 too. And who knows, by some miracle there might be movement on Bishops Quay. Although I think that's dead in the water now.

Passed by the Gardens this morning, and it looks very impressive looking in!

Why do you think Bishops Quay is dead in the water? Were the objections upheld?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Mc Love wrote: »
    Passed by the Gardens this morning, and it looks very impressive looking in!

Full planning but the apartment element might be difficult to stack up financially. Don't think we'll see any apartment construction outside the prime Dublin areas as apartments are simply too expensive to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Full planning but the apartment element might be difficult to stack up financially. Don't think we'll see any apartment construction outside the prime Dublin areas as apartments are simply too expensive to deliver.

I thought the Bishop's Quay development was originally envisaged as mostly residential and they changed it to exclusively commercial/office under instruction of the local authorities?

Because it's 15 months since they got permission from ABP and in January it will be a year past the date they were supposed to be on site.

Plenty of apartments being built in Cork including a development of over 400 apartments that includes a 25 storey tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Am I cranky or is that elevation facing the lights pretty muck ?... dont hold out much hope of the lines of trees ever appearing - a la the recent davis st project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

gryff wrote: »
    Am I cranky or is that elevation facing the lights pretty muck ?... dont hold out much hope of the lines of trees ever appearing - a la the recent davis st project.

No that's the part I'm having trouble with. Looks more like the entrance to a shopping centre than an apartment complex will limited retail. I'm not a fan of the increased height at that section either. Though the rest of the plans in actually okay with.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

There was an article in yesterday's Sunday Business Post about the proposed 'University Town' to be built in Co Clare near UL North Campus. This was mooted earlier in the year but looks like Clare Co Co are pushing ahead with the plan and meeting government to push for funding.

Surely this can only be bad news for Limerick City and it's development. This could effectively rob a lot of the benefits that UL have on the city if they have a new town pretty much on campus! I hope the City Council will be objecting strongly.
    Here is an old article from earlier in the year

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/new-town-ul-jobs-622075

It's a bit of willy waving from clare coco apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

God forbid they might focus investment on Ennis, Kilrush or that other new town in County Clare which isn’t exactly a poster boy for urban planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

If it were to happen I think it would be great news for both Limerick and Clare. The potential employment benefits and the general increase in economic activity for the area. This area is not close to Ennis or other urban areas in Clare The LNDR should help with any increase in traffic levels.

• Advertisement

mart 23 wrote: »
    If it were to happen I think it would be great news for both Limerick and Clare. The potential employment benefits and the general increase in economic activity for the area. This area is not close to Ennis or other urban areas in Clare The LNDR should help with any increase in traffic levels.

As has been said by one of the directors of Limerick 2030, and mayor of Limerick, the LNDR is some way off. Goes on to say, which is massively positive, move people, not cars!

https://twitter.com/jamesjcollins/status/1074677481687433218?s=19

This is Clare County Council trying to do what Limerick County Council did to Limerick City for years. That worked out very badly for the city. All development around the city should be controlled by Limerick CCC, not Clare CC in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It really really wouldn't be. The plan is bonkers. Seeking to develop a new "town" on agricultural land in an area totally devoid of any suitable infrastructure is nothing short of idiotic! Why are we so intent on undermining our urban areas?! Growth and development needs to be focused and consolidated in existing built up areas in order to maximise their potential and ensure that we are promoting and building sustainable functional and vibrant population centres.

This type of car orientated, low density sprawl is more reminiscent of the American model than the type of structured, orderly, public transport focused approach that is favoured in Europe. We're now beginning to get a glimpse of the real reasons why the Limerick Northern Distributor road is being promoted. So that the likes of Clare County Council in tandem with a property developer can carve up the newly accessible lands for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Absolutely crazy idea no idea how the process works but what has the Minister got to do with the strategic designation ?

kilburn wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy idea no idea how the process works but what has the Minister got to do with the strategic designation ?

James Collins? He's the mayor of Limerick, and the LNDR is meant to be for the benefit of Limerick primarily. If Clare CoCo are going to be the beneficiaries then let them pony up the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Glenomra

There's a simple solution to Clare's efforts to dramatically increase their rate income at limericks expense. Re zone this land into Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

James Collins? He's the mayor of Limerick, and the LNDR is meant to be for the benefit of Limerick primarily. If Clare CoCo are going to be the beneficiaries then let them pony up the money for it.

Not James Collins, Clare Co Co were going to Minister for Housing to get a special designation for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

kilburn wrote: »

It's up to the Minister to grant the designation because it's outside of any local or national development plans. Clare are basically trying to bypass the normal planning process and force this, and they've cleverly sold the idea to UL. In the long run the development here will accrue a lot of revenue to Clare Co Co.

They wouldn't be doing this of course if the local authorities had a proper revenue generating capacity. But they haven't had that since the 70's when rates were abolished.

They're also, inadvertently, making a strong argument for the amalgamation of Limerick and Clare Councils, as this kind of planning is so self-evidently damaging to everybody in the long run. In an era where directly elected mayors are on the agenda and good national and regional planning is a much more topical issue that it used to be, it isn't inconceivable that a government would take steps towards incorporating more regional authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's deranged that the Limerick council don't have jurisdiction over the hinterlands of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

If it went ahead it would highlight a need for a Limerick boundary extension into Clare from around Coonagh to UL in the future. It may be something that Clare will regret later.

i

Advertisement