Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Personally I think those original plans looked fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They look stunning to be fair! Just look at the Gardens project, its quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Personally I think those original plans looked fantastic.

Agreed. From that picture, the proposed 14 /15 storey tower complements St Mary's Cathedral and brings your eye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

I mean it looks bit ugly modern, globalist and soulless but if every building was to be a work of art you’d never get any development. As these things go it looks grand imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

madbeanman wrote: »
    I mean it looks bit ugly modern, globalist and soulless

That it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Thank feck this went straight to bird pleanala and not to local government for a decision.
    It might actually get going in some reasonable time frame and with a half decent design. I certainly don't think any of it will be turned down based on a height of 15 stories to be honest but that's just me. Thats not even high rise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Does anyone know how many of the building facades facing onto Rutland street and Patrick street on the Opera site are original and how many are reconstructed

tototoe wrote:
    Thank feck this went straight to bird pleanala and not to local government for a decision. It might actually get going in some reasonable time frame and with a half decent design.

It didn't go straight to ABP. The Council tried to give themselves permission to do it last year but it was pointed out to them that that was illegal and they had to go direct to ABP.

tototoe wrote: »
    Thank feck this went straight to bird pleanala and not to local government for a decision.
    It might actually get going in some reasonable time frame and with a half decent design. I certainly don't think any of it will be turned down based on a height of 15 stories to be honest but that's just me. Thats not even high rise tbh.

I have no problem with the height of the building but remember that 15 floors is very high for a building in Ireland.

I have no problem with the height of the building but remember that 15 floors is very high for a building in Ireland.

Limerick's already got the 15 storey Riverpoint, the 17 storey Clayton Hotel and there's permission granted for a 15 storey building on Bishops Quay, so it's not tall for Limerick.

• Advertisement

Limerick's already got the 15 storey Riverpoint, the 17 storey Clayton Hotel and there's permission granted for a 15 storey building on Bishops Quay, so it's not tall for Limerick.

Yes but two or possibly three buildings the same or slightly taller is the exception not the rule.

Plus the location of those buildings is very different to what is proposed. ABP is always a coin toss

From the Leader. The former Mayes shop on Parnell St. is to be demolished and the building replaced with a new retail unit on the ground floor and 3 storeys of apartments above consisting of 10 x 1 bed apartments and 1 x 2 bed apartment.

It seems a small site for that many apartments but I wonder if the building that houses the Oriental Kitchen is included as well as it's part of the same terrace.

Although when I searched on the council planning site it's listed as an incompleted application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

From the Leader. The former Mayes shop on Parnell St. is to be demolished and the building replaced with a new retail unit on the ground floor and 3 storeys of apartments above consisting of 10 x 1 bed apartments and 1 x 2 bed apartment.

It seems a small site for that many apartments but I wonder if the building that houses the Oriental Kitchen is included as well as it's part of the same terrace.

Although when I searched on the council planning site it's listed as an incompleted application.

While the existing building isn’t much to look at and is in a bit of disrepair, I don’t have much hope for the design of the proposed building. Would like to see something similar to the new Bingo Hall on Parnell Street. I think it really brightens up the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

While the existing building isn’t much to look at and is in a bit of disrepair, I don’t have much hope for the design of the proposed building. Would like to see something similar to the new Bingo Hall on Parnell Street. I think it really brightens up the place.

Do you think? I think that Parnell Plaza looks really tacky, especially considering it's the first thing people see from the train station upon entering our city

panda100 wrote: »
    Do you think? I think that Parnell Plaza looks really tacky, especially considering it's the first thing people see from the train station upon entering our city

I feel like I agree and disagree. Its tacky that that kind of building is the first kind of building that people see in that area but the actual look of the building itself is quite pleasant and appropriate considering what and where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I feel like I agree and disagree. Its tacky that that kind of building is the first kind of building that people see in that area but the actual look of the building itself is quite pleasant and appropriate considering what and where it is.

Had a good look at it while walking past earlier and I guess your right. It's actually not a bad building. It's probably just the whole gaudy amusements thing that's makes it a bit tacky looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Had a good look at it while walking past earlier and I guess your right. It's actually not a bad building. It's probably just the whole gaudy amusements thing that's makes it a bit tacky looking.

Agree with you on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Tefral wrote: »
    I work in Construction, I would be an ardent supporter of preserving the Georgian look of Limerick. I love visiting old cities and the architecture interests me - gives a place character. Like the buildings in Amsterdam and Bruge. I even like the likes of Hamburg and its mixture of really new buildings and some of the small number of buildings that survived the war. It tells a story.

The problem we have here is the buildings were left to rot and bad planning has made them extremely difficult to bring back to their former glory. I have priced the refurbishment of some of these buildings. I am involved in the fit out of Maggie Choos and Opium, I was in 101 also. The costs of keeping these buildings going is not tens of thousands. Its hundred of thousands. Q-Con are doing one up on at the moment and its well over a million.

People don't have this kind of money here. Businesses don't either and banks loathe to lend to this kind of work. There's a reason why a lot of these buildings are decaying and its lack of will due to lack of money. My dream house would be a fully refurbished Georgian building in O'Connell Street, but to bring them to current regs so that they are cost effective to live in after the capital investment is prohibitively expensive. If the council really want to incentivise their refurbishment they need to become the bank and give a really low rate to the owners and they probably need to give them huge grants also - and you cant just hand out money to private individuals.

Given the above and the strict Building Control Act you need to have balance. There's a place for the new too in cities and i think the opera development is a very welcome development indeed.

Finally, some reasoned and knowledgeable comment here regarding old buildings in Limerick. +1 for the council-backed development idea. I too thought of this. The city needs apartments and other residential accommodation, in order to bring some life back into it. Then the city economy will improve.

I'd rather see this prioritised than the massive spending on so many as yet unoccupied sites, Cleeves being the most recent of the major purchases by the city, where they're talking nonsense liek a diaspora centre! A fekkn WHAT?!!!

g

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

A Proposal is being drawn up to construct a tunnel for pedestrians adjacent to the railway bridge in Rhebogue, why not just widen the whole lot to take 2 cars and 2 paths

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/356509/plans-drawn-up-for-pedestrian-tunnel-in-limerick-next-to-narrow-railway-bridge.html

Jose Maria wrote: »
    A Proposal is being drawn up to construct a tunnel for pedestrians adjacent to the railway bridge in Rhebogue, why not just widen the whole lot to take 2 cars and 2 paths

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/356509/plans-drawn-up-for-pedestrian-tunnel-in-limerick-next-to-narrow-railway-bridge.html

Because you're adding more cars to already over capacity road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

To widen a bridge, you need to knock & rebuild. That's a live rail line isn't it?

To widen a bridge, you need to knock & rebuild. That's a live rail line isn't it?

It's the Limerick - Ennis line. However in recent years the bridges over the Dublin Rd and the Ballysimon Rd were replaced.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Because you're adding more cars to already over capacity road.

How? You'd simply be making the road safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Widening it would be extremely expensive if it's even possible. However, surely the most obvious solution is smart(ish) traffic lights that use sensors to detect traffic and react accordingly, with a pedestrian option that can be used to stop traffic in both directions. While they are relatively expensive, they'd be cheaper than a tunnel and would solve the problem of two way traffic as well as the pedestrian safety issue.

As well as the traffic, there is also an issue with flooding under that bridge, which makes it awful for pedestrians. I can imagine a tunnel has the potential to be worse. As well as that, tunnels are often just horrible and unsafe in terms of anti-social behaviour and defecation. And unless the whole thing is ramped, they are absolutely useless for anyone pushing a buggy or with a variety of disabilities, which make up quite a lot of the school run foot traffic.

How? You'd simply be making the road safer.

How? and for whom?

Mc Love wrote: »
    How? and for whom?

Be nice if you answered my question as to how it would be adding more traffic rather than asking me a question.

Safer for pedestrians, and allowing two way traffic making it safer for motorists.

What's wrong with the current set-up and how much are the proposed works going to cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

New application for revisions to "International Rugby Experience" on O'Connell st. Seem to be minor enough changes including demolition and slight changes to elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i see work has commenced on the new school for Gael Cholaiste Luimnigh, at the old Dawn dairies factory on Clare street. This will have a significant impact on traffic in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

damowill wrote:
    i see work has commenced on the new school for Gael Cholaiste Luimnigh, at the old Dawn dairies factory on Clare street. This will have a significant impact on traffic in the mornings.

Have not seen the plans but an entrance from the Pa Healy Road would help some bit

Advertisement