Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

damowill wrote: »
    i see work has commenced on the new school for Gael Cholaiste Luimnigh, at the old Dawn dairies factory on Clare street. This will have a significant impact on traffic in the mornings.

It's just a demolition contract. They haven't even submitted a planning application for the new school yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

kilburn wrote: »
    Have not seen the plans but an entrance from the Pa Healy Road would help some bit

There’s been a turn to no where on Pa Healy Road since the start so hopefully the Gael Colaiste won’t have a problem with the permission for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

There’s been a turn to no where on Pa Healy Road since the start so hopefully the Gael Colaiste won’t have a problem with the permission for it.

That was to facilitate future residential development back in the last decade. I don't know what the ownership status is of that parcel of land. Or if the state bought it as part of the school plan.

Vanquished wrote: »
    That was to facilitate future residential development back in the last decade. I don't know what the ownership status is of that parcel of land. Or if the state bought it as part of the school plan.

Just looked at eplan. That land doesn’t appear to be included in the map for the demolition planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I may have completely missed this but when was it announced that the green area across from the train station was being turned into a car park?

Also wasnt the junction of Parnell st, Lord Edward st and Mallow street to be turned into a traffic light junction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jofspring wrote: »
    I may have completely missed this but when was it announced that the green area across from the train station was being turned into a car park?

Also wasnt the junction of Parnell st, Lord Edward st and Mallow street to be turned into a traffic light junction?

It's all part of the same development (along with the rest of Parnell St.) which has had planning for a few years now. I'd have to dig out the plans, but I think that only the corner near Edward St. is to be used as a car park.

I do wonder where the local activist was when the original plans came out nowhere near a local election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They seem to have the whole green sectioned off so not sure how much will be gone. Not an overly used area in fairness but would be a shame to see a green area gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

They seem to have the whole green sectioned off so not sure how much will be gone. Not an overly used area in fairness but would be a shame to see a green area gone.

It's beside a beautiful park, I'm sure its loss won't be the end of the world.

The new alignment of Hyde Rd will cut through it too, so that would explain why so much is fenced off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

It's all part of the same development (along with the rest of Parnell St.) which has had planning for a few years now. I'd have to dig out the plans, but I think that only the corner near Edward St. is to be used as a car park.

I do wonder where the local activist was when the original plans came out nowhere near a local election.

it was not part of any plan this has just happened no warning first we the residents knew of it was when they illegally cut down the trees there with no planning permission which is needed for all older trees to be cut down and we have been battling since, an absolute disgrace and we are running a protest if anyone would please like to sign over, we have now over 1000 signees

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/save-our-green-space-limerick?bucket&fbclid=IwAR2eFdoYbLRLzmYZfC6YHmu9EisLC7cIOm1XHRlAZBo-GUCBcHM1zxhCj3I

• Advertisement

Its used by us the locals as its our only green area outside of the park which is closed at nite and at 4.30 in winter months, and with the new development of houses in Hyde road just after been completely there is a huge influx of children and with more new houses just starting across the street in Lower careys road and on the next street in bourke avenue its an absolute travesty that a council that in the same week who look for a report into why the city has no bees they cut down one of the nicest green spaces in our area with no consultation whatsoever and the original road they planned to cut through we asked for it not to happen and we were told it would go back to planning, they allow a ghetto to be created outside the train station and remove the parking spaces there and now see it as a way of generating money when nobody will pay to park there as they instead park in the adjoining streets for free blocking our driveways and this will be another excuse for the council to just extend the parking permits further...

Simple solution leave the spaces where they are needed in parnell street...the city Centre was originally planned for this exact space which is why parnell street is so wide in the first place...idiots run this city.

steveon wrote: »
    it was not part of any plan this has just happened no warning first we the residents knew of it was when they illegally cut down the trees there with no planning permission which is needed for all older trees to be cut down and we have been battling since, an absolute disgrace and we are running a protest if anyone would please like to sign over, we have now over 1000 signees

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/save-our-green-space-limerick?bucket&fbclid=IwAR2eFdoYbLRLzmYZfC6YHmu9EisLC7cIOm1XHRlAZBo-GUCBcHM1zxhCj3I

It was part of the original plans that went through part 8 in 2015.
    The full planning PDFs are here

And as seen in the attached pic, most if the park will remain and will be upgraded.
    Car Park.jpg

It was part of the original plans that went through part 8 in 2015.
    The full planning PDFs are here

And as seen in the attached pic, most if the park will remain and will be upgraded.
    Car Park.jpg

was never shown to us when we went to meetings regarding davis street parnell street i was there and this is the first I ever knew of a carpark there I knew of the intersection coming across mallow street which is ridiculous and will cause nothing but even more tailbacks ruining a beautiful setting that should be protected.

was never shown to us when we went to meetings regarding davis street parnell street i was there and this is the first I ever knew of a carpark there I knew of the intersection coming across mallow street which is ridiculous and will cause nothing but even more tailbacks ruining a beautiful setting that should be protected.

Well it was uploaded to this site by myself back in 2015, so it was public knowledge back then. The new junction will be far superior to the mess that's there now. And most of the green area will still be there.

Well it was uploaded to this site by myself back in 2015, so it was public knowledge back then. The new junction will be far superior to the mess that's there now. And most of the green area will still be there.

traffic lights there is going to cause huge tailbacks absolutely nothing wrong with the junction as it is just people cant figure out theres two lanes and be in the right one to begin with and the bus blocking the road which is still going to be the case and now instead me having to cross 2 juntions I will have to cross 4 with carpark enterances total waste of public money. That now over 1000 people living in the are have signed the petition are showing as we were never consulted about any carpark.

traffic lights there is going to cause huge tailbacks absolutely nothing wrong with the junction as it is just people cant figure out theres two lanes and be in the right one to begin with and the bus blocking the road which is still going to be the case and now instead me having to cross 2 juntions I will have to cross 4 with carpark enterances total waste of public money. That now over 1000 people living in the are have signed the petition are showing as we were never consulted about any carpark.

Have a look at the drawing. Buses will turn left onto Parnell St while traffic heading up Hyde Rd will be able to continue on straight, so there will no longer be a conflict heading into the bus station. It will be far superior to the current situation.

And you won't have to cross any extra junctions as there won't be any extra. The current turn is being replaced by the new junction and the entrance/exit of the car park aren't junctions.

Again look at the drawing, which was in the public realm 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I don't believe they are doing any of the road realignment works at this time - only constructing the car park so the road layout will remain more or less as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not one for reading or checking up Planning Applications but I've known for a good while now that there was a plan to add car parking spaces in that area. Any exercise to prevent that happening should have started way back not when the machines are arriving on site.

I'm not hugely in favour of reducing the park there but it's hardly the most utilised green area in the town aside from it being used as a public toilet for dogs and to get rid of rubbish on bonfire night.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

phog wrote: »
    I'm not one for reading or checking up Planning Applications but I've known for a good while now that there was a plan to add car parking spaces in that area. Any exercise to prevent that happening should have started way back not when the machines are arriving on site.

I'm not hugely in favour of reducing the park there but it's hardly the most utilised green area in the town aside from it being used as a public toilet for dogs and to get rid of rubbish on bonfire night.

So if a green area is under utilized, then is it ok to pour concrete on it? Are you a property developer by any chance?

Developers have turned our Cities in concrete jungles. Dooradoyle and Raheen is a case in point. Hardly a park or playground to be seen until Mungret parkwas provided & that is a long walk from Kilteragh or Ballycummin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

damowill wrote: »
    So if a green area is under utilized, then is it ok to pour concrete on it? Are you a property developer by any chance?

Developers have turned our Cities in concrete jungles. Dooradoyle and Raheen is a case in point. Hardly a park or playground to be seen until Mungret parkwas provided & that is a long walk from Kilteragh or Ballycummin.

Can you point out where I said that and where you think they're turning the park into a concrete jungle?

From my understanding a green area will remain there.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Can you point out where I said that and where you think they're turning the park into a concrete jungle?

From my understanding a green area will remain there.

Correct.

Car Park.jpg

I’m not one in general for concreting over green areas but the new plan with car park spaces is landscaped with paths etc. Would imagine the paths make it more accessible for people with reduced mobility and easier to walk dogs.

The green area at the moment is just a big field with no paths.

You can't find a free parking space in Limerick for love nor money so this is a much needed facility and will make Limerick a more attractive city to live/work/invest/shop in.

These are the drawings from the tender request that went out last summer for this.

470621.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

LeoD wrote: »
    These are the drawings from the tender request that went out last summer for this.

470621.jpg

It’s a joke that the one feature that would be beneficial (the direct route from Mallow St to Hyde Road) has been removed.

It’s a joke that the one feature that would be beneficial (the direct route from Mallow St to Hyde Road) has been removed.

I'm guessing that this project will be done in 2 phases. I'd say that this is a local authority funded project (the car park) but the road works will require funding from the NTA. If you look at where the car park ends on the right, space is left to continue Mallow St straight onto Hyde Rd at some date in the future.

Out of curiosity, where do you find the tender requests? There's a few projects I've been interested in, but can't find the info.

A quick mash of the 2 drawings shows how the realignment of the roads can be completed in the future whenever the NTA agree to fund it. The car park is probably being done now due to the urgency and need for more car parking in Limerick.
    470622.jpg

Out of curiosity, where do you find the tender requests? There's a few projects I've been interested in, but can't find the info.

https://www.etenders.gov.ie/

If you have the time it's probably the best place to go to see what the council are planning because the drawings in here are what contractors are going to build. I think you might have to register.

• Advertisement

https://www.etenders.gov.ie/

If you have the time it's probably the best place to go to see what the council are planning because the drawings in here are what contractors are going to build. I think you might have to register.

I probably should add that by the time something gets this far it's probably a bit late to be objecting to it. It's interesting though to see what the council though are putting out there - not just building projects. I remember reading one about grass cutting - applying for these things must be a right pain in the arse but I suppose it has to be done.

Advertisement