Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That is brutal, there's no need for that much parking! Plenty of paid parking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Trees are overrated. They just sit there, day in day out and doing what? Signs on the other hand will bring an array of colour and vibrancy to this under utilised space and will tell us where to stop/start/turn/walk/park/don't park/etc. I can't wait to see it finished.

470623.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Its a total waste of money. Why would you have a car park in the middle of a park?

There will still be parking along Peoples Park and Parnell st so its a job for the boys....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    That is brutal, there's no need for that much parking! Plenty of paid parking around!

Will this not be paid parking too? Do you think it will not be used?

I think it will be paid parking and used -let's see.

damowill wrote: »
    Its a total waste of money. Why would you have a car park in the middle of a park?

There will still be parking along Peoples Park and Parnell st so its a job for the boys....

This is not new there are often car parking spaces in parks.

• Advertisement

It's effectively a new street going through a park created especially to provide on-street parking. As per the sign specification it will be 2 hour disc parking Mon-Sat 9:30am - 5:30pm.

phog wrote: »
    This is not new there are often car parking spaces in parks.

That doesnt make it right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I don't even think more parking is needed there. Usually along the side of the green area there is loads of parking available. It's rare enough that it's hard to get a parker there. Also would a lot of people be willing to leave their car in an open car park no where near businesses and head down town? I doubt it. Looks like a place asking for cars to be broken into. Train station is or at least was bad enough for break ins.

The only time the car park will really be used is families using the playground in the park.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I don't even think more parking is needed there. Usually along the side of the green area there is loads of parking available.

This new parking street is to compensate for the loss of on-street parking on Davis Street. Businesses have been struggling to survive on Davis St after they lost their parking so this is vital for their survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

are these being used as a replacement for the spaces being lost due to the opera center?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

LeoD wrote: »
    Jofspring wrote: »
    I don't even think more parking is needed there. Usually along the side of the green area there is loads of parking available.

This new parking street is to compensate for the loss of on-street parking on Davis Street. Businesses have been struggling to survive on Davis St after they lost their parking so this is vital for their survival.

I work on Davis Street for the last 15years. The loss of parking on Davis Street has made no difference. The only major loss on Davis Street is the Disabled parking spot outside the Railway Hotel that was taken away, that should have been kept in front of the loading bay. The street is a lot more pleasent to be be on now because of the wider path where the businesses are. Also it was the businesses that put forward the wider path moving to the side it is now on and keeping it a contraflow road. Before the works it was cars parked arse ways everywhere and dangerous footpaths that were continuosly patched up. You now have the odd car double parking on the street which can be a balls but they usually move on pretty quick.

Having more parking over a block away isn't going to make a huge difference to Davis Street.

Ah I admit I was being facetious with my previous posts so they're not to be taken seriously - it's the mood I'm in today. It's interesting to hear that the street is more pleasant now. It's a shame they put those bollards all along the footpath as they make the path unnecessarily narrower. I know the argument will be that it's to stop cars from parking on the footpath but bollardmania in ruining urban areas. It needs to become socially unacceptable to park on footpaths - I'm convinced most people don't see the harm in it. That and a bit of old fashioned enforcement.

But the new parking spaces are to compensate for the loss of spaces on Davis St, Parnell St and the train station - think I read it in the planning reports.

That doesnt make it right ...

and it doesn't make it wrong...

The Peoples park should be extended into Russell Park and the the traffic be routed around it.

The Peoples park should be extended into Russell Park and the the traffic be routed around it.

You'd need to be careful about extending the People's Park as that is locked up after dark whereas Hyde Park park is open 24/7 and has no boundary walls/fences. Ideally the traffic coming down Edward street should be using a tunnel to go under the current road and let Hyde Park run through to the boundary of the People's Park with the new parking being provided along Hyde Road

Elisa O'Donovan (SocDem candidate) is on Limerick Today (95fm) now discussing this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Elisa O'Donovan (SocDem candidate) is on Limerick Today (95fm) now discussing this

All the local election candidates now jumping on the band wagon. Where were their complaints 4 years ago when these plans were made public? They wouldn't be looking for votes would they????? They can talk all they want about it, but the car park will be installed by the time the election happens in late May. And they know this.

All the local election candidates now jumping on the band wagon. Where were their complaints 4 years ago when these plans were made public? They wouldn't be looking for votes would they????? They can talk all they want about it, but the car park will be installed by the time the election happens in late May. And they know this.

They were from 4 years ago!! A lot has changed since then, the parking spaces werent removed from all of davis st, and some of the businesses proposing the creation of these spaces are no longer in business, the justification that there's less parking there impacts the current businesses is hogwash

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

How long has the green area been called Russell Park. I always thought that Russell Park as in Ted Russell was on the NCR across from Barringtons Pier. I know they are 2 different Russells but it was always called the Green on Hyde Road

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For what it's worth it seems very obvious from Twitter that Elisa O'Donovan has been pushing for the council to make good decisions in terms of the public realm for a long time as an interested local.

She appears to have only decided to run for public office in the last little while.

I think it is to be strongly encouraged that good citizens who have concerns and ideas about their areas should take up the mantle of getting involved. There isn't much thanks for it and it's certainly work I wouldn't be willing to take on, without people who are willing we wouldn't be too well off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

People complaining about the loss of this "park" is ridiculous. In my 13 years living in Limerick I have lived either very near this area or in areas where it is on my route into town. I have never seen it being utilized as park in the traditional sense save for people leaving their dogs use it as an toilet space. The argument to retain it is even more incredulous when you consider there is a fantastic and well used park literally across the road which provides a safe space for children to play and people to walk without having to worry about being surrounded roads with heavy traffic. And as for people complaining on social media about the council should be building houses on this plot of land, that is whole new level of stupidity!

They were from 4 years ago!! A lot has changed since then, the parking spaces werent removed from all of davis st, and some of the businesses proposing the creation of these spaces are no longer in business, the justification that there's less parking there impacts the current businesses is hogwash

My point is that local election candidates are jumping up and down on about this to get votes, knowing quite well that it will be finished by the time the elections occur.

And most of the parking is to be removed from the rest of Parnell St as the works are part of the same contract to upgrade the rest of Parnell St and Wickham St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

People complaining about the loss of this "park" is ridiculous. In my 13 years living in Limerick I have lived either very near this area or in areas where it is on my route into town. I have never seen it being utilized as park in the traditional sense save for people leaving their dogs use it as an toilet space. The argument to retain it is even more incredulous when you consider there is a fantastic and well used park literally across the road which provides a safe space for children to play and people to walk without having to worry about being surrounded roads with heavy traffic. And as for people complaining on social media about the council should be building houses on this plot of land, that is whole new level of stupidity!

which is closed at 4.30 in winter months and 30 or 40 new children live now beside it with special needs and have now no open green to play in...and I wish people who dont live in the area would stop saying its not used as it is by me and a local football team use it as well for practice as well as the local kids total nonsense.

and passing there twice today and half the existing spaces that are there are currently empty why as nobody will pay to park there as they park on the adjoining streets for free

Maybe if it was part of the People's park by way of extension, more people would use it. It's unique to have a sizeable piece of flat green area in the city that isnt being used as sports pitch.

Maybe if it was part of the People's park by way of extension, more people would use it. It's unique to have a sizeable piece of flat green area in the city that isnt being used as sports pitch.

its the only green area open to us after 5 pm in winter months the rest is a concrete Jungle. and the same could be said for every other estate that have a green area should be turn them into unnecessary carparks that are not needed.

If people feel it is under utilized then it could be re-purposed to be a dog park

But once concrete is laid you are never getting your green back....

steveon wrote: »
    which is closed at 4.30 in winter months and 30 or 40 new children live now beside it with special needs and have now no open green to play in...and I wish people who dont live in the area would stop saying its not used as it is by me and a local football team use it as well for practice as well as the local kids total nonsense.

I would say that children shouldn't be out playing on an unlit piece of land surrounded by three busy roads after dark.

If's full of mature trees, surrounded by 3 busy roads and unlit. What sports do you suggest could be played there? Especially after dark in the winter months.

• Advertisement

If people feel it is under utilized then it could be re-purposed to be a dog park

But once concrete is laid you are never getting your green back....

A section if it is being used as a car park. Not all of it. I had a look at the final planning docs last night (thanks LeoD). 5 trees are being removed, 5 are being moved to another part of the park, new footpaths are to be installed and the current parking spaces across from Mallow St are to be removed and grassed. Most of the green is going nowhere and will be in a better condition once this development is finished.

Advertisement