Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50% of Galway households rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"Of the 27,697 permanent households in the city, 13,716 are rented accommodation."

For me this raises questions regarding ownership of rented properties, and whether the properties are all registered.

https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

snubbleste wrote: »
    Asking prices on daft ain't the same as the actual price paid. Refine your search to 'galway city council' and see if the figure drops.

Where is that Galway City Council option? I will be looking to rent a house in Galway in the next couple of months. Just did a search there and there is only 4 1-3 bed houses under 700
    Just had a quick check and that index seems way off. I think some landlords might be lying to the taxman.

For example for a 3 bed house in Galway city (presuming this includes all the suburbs) the average is 659.

A quick search on Daft for 3 beds under 700 yields only 7 properties. Compare that to the 161 3 beds above 700 euro and I have no idea how the index comes to such a low average.

I agree that index seems way off, unless they know of some cheap accommodation that we don't know about. Surely for the average to be less than 700, to off set all the high rents in Galway, you would have to have either a number of very cheap rents or a large number of rents below 700, but a search on daft for me as I said above only finds 4 properties below 700.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I did a search for three bed in Galway
    All property types- Three bed- Galway (City Council)
    2012Q1 833.25
    2012Q2 832.34
    2012Q3 852.90
    2012Q4 837.15
    2013Q1 844.22

One of the reasons the PRTB average rent index might be lower is because of rent supplement. The maximum rent that can be charged for a three bed is €725.

I'm confused now!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

What am I doing wrong in the search?

I am clicking on semi-detatched:

253260.PNG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I chose 'All Property Types' to get my figures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement