Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working Part-time / Hibernia

• 04-09-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi there

I've looked into the Hibernia course and would be interested. I phoned them re the block teaching and it seems to have to be done en-bloc.

I'm only working three days a week but I know it won't be possible for the company to have me off for say five weeks at a time due to lack of coverage etc.

Is it possible to do the teaching block over three days per week (I could drop one working day max but unfortunately not the rest) or is this not a viable option?

Many thanks
    Edel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sharon2608

I think you have to do a certain number of hours a week that a school may not be able to facilitate over three days. No harm giving Hibernia an email to check with them but it may be difficult to find a school that can accommodate even if Hibernia say it is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's always worth asking, the worst they can say is no. However I will point this out (another poster stated it on the HDIP thread)

"I completed what was then the Post-Graduate Diploma in Education in 2009, and have been in the jobs market ever since. My two subjects are Arts subjects, one of which I have a Masters in. I went abroad the first year, came back and had been in the same school in Ireland up until June of this year. My honest advice to anyone contemplating a career in secondary teaching would be that unless you're going to be qualified in either Maths, Irish or French, be prepared for a lot of time searching for work, dropping in CVs to schools, and waiting for the phone to ring.

If teaching is something you really want to do, I would hate to tell you not to do it, but be under no illusions- the sector is in a state of contraction. Non-permanent staff are being cut so as to preserve the jobs of permanent staff (imho), and the demand for subjects other than the three I've listed is very weak. I've been lots of interviews in the last few months, and almost all the other applicants that I've talked to have a Masters and/or lots of experience teaching. Had I not the Masters and experience, I'm sure I wouldn't have even been called to interview. (I was talking to one girl for whom it was her first ever interview, and she graduated two years previously). I don't know your personal circumstances but if you're in a position whereby you can do the Dip but need to have a regular income straight after you complete it, proceed with extreme caution: I'd be prepared for the eventuality of still looking for a job when the following September comes around. In addition to jobs being very scarce, what jobs there are tend to be maternity/sick leaves, which little or no prospect of staying on after that leave (which can range from a few weeks to a year) ends.

Of course, despite the grim outlook, it is possible that you could do an excellent dip and get lucky with an interview for the right school. But in my honest opinion, it is very much odds against."

If money is tight enough that you wouldn't be able to take time off from work for teaching practise then unless you really really want to teach it is not the profession to enter in the current climate. It is not a safe pensionable permanent job, even during the boom years it took an average of 7years to get a permanent post and those days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

Many thanks for your response Musicmental85. Very insightful and helpful. Its something I really want to do but as always there's a compromise. Guess I'm just going to have to think a but further on this as there's a lot at stake. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 F.A.S.H

Hi, I completed Hibernia in 2011, and I worked full time throughout. Luckily for me, I had a wonderful boss, who allowed me the time off for teaching practices ( I did work weekends).

If you could keep your job until the first teaching practice then you should have no problems, but remember the Gaelteacht needs to be paid for and you noe cannot sub unless you have a teaching council number. (while I was doing the course, many of my class subbed for money while studying, but this would be extremely hard for you to do as most schools are asking for teacher registration numbers now before accepting subs!)

Also, Hibernia are not a helpful college and I would highly doubt they will allow you to do this. Jobs are relly limited rigyht now, and the moneys not great either, unlesss your really committed to teaching, be careful before you invest the bones of 10,000 on a new career that you may not get a permanent job in for 3-4 years....sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi there

I've looked into the Hibernia course and would be interested. I phoned them re the block teaching and it seems to have to be done en-bloc.

I'm only working three days a week but I know it won't be possible for the company to have me off for say five weeks at a time due to lack of coverage etc.

Is it possible to do the teaching block over three days per week (I could drop one working day max but unfortunately not the rest) or is this not a viable option?

Many thanks
    Edel

Is it the Hibernia primary course or the Hibernia secondary course?

Because with the primary course the main problem I could see is that you wouldn't have enough hours done in the week if they expect you to do the full day every day. With the secondary course if you are say teaching English, a class group will typically be timetabled for English everyday so it's not fair on students to have one teacher 3 days a week and their own one the other other two. Even in the case that it's a different subject that might only be timetabled 3 days a week at Junior Cert level, it's unlikely there would be enough class groups timetabled over the same three days to give you the hours you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement