Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falling out of the bed

• 04-09-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

About two weeks ago during bedtime myself and the OH (both private sector workers) were in bed was abruptly woken by my OH giving me a left jab into the ribs. “Get off me” she shrieked “stop rolling over onto my side of the bed” she exclaimed, “you f***ker” she remarked.
    Sure enough during my sleep I had once again rolled over towards the middle of the bed and was in the process of pushing her out.
    This incident got me thinking. Why do we roll towards the centre of the bed and not the other way.
    Is there some sub conscience working during our sleep that we don’t roll out of the bed?
    So I started an experiment and started sleeping on the edge of the bed to see would I fall out.
    Two weeks of nights have passed and I keep rolling towards the centre without fail.
    Do you know anyone or have you ever fell out of the bed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

WTF? Had you ever slept in a bed before this or did you sleep in a basket by the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I like to sleep on the edge with my legs hanging out, herself makes use of the other 8/10ths of the bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

your bed is haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

In my early days with herself she used fall out of the bed regularly. On account of her being too polite no to wake me when I'm pushing her out. Sadly those days have passed and now she thumps me. I miss the good old days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

im in the same situation
    except its my girlfriend doing it
    she starts on the edge of the bed
    then during the night makes her way onto my side, i do go mental ah her haha

not as bad as my mate though
    he has anger problems and while hes asleep he punchs in his sleep he put his wall through ha i do wonder why his partner has bruises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

About two weeks ago during bedtime myself and the OH (both private sector workers) were in bed was abruptly woken by my OH giving me a left jab into the ribs. “Get off me” she shrieked “stop rolling over onto my side of the bed” she exclaimed, “you f***ker” she remarked....

Very important piece of information there as it is well known that Private Sector workers roll in the way as a sign of looking of stability and safety whereas Public Sector workers roll outwards as if jumping ship.

We need to know more though. Do you sleep on the same side of the bed each night? i.e are you sleeping on the right hand side and rolling inwards to your left. Would it be the case you would do the opposite if you switched to the left hand side and roll inwards to your right or would you continue going left for Floorsville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Public sector workers don't fall out of the bed

They're strapped in :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What would happen if you slept in a twin bed (i.e. two singles pushed together), would you fall down through the gap in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I sleep on the edge of the bed, however I do give intermittent cuddles during the night, just so the girl knows I'm there, and also to check if she's awake ...

I've not fallen out of the bed yet tho !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My OH is an awful bed hog. Only for the fact that the bed's beside the wall and I sleep on that side, he'd have shoved me off more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Never had much of a problem sleeping with somebody afterwards except once when I got an accidental knee to the boys and punched the guy in the chest from the reflex and we both fell out of bed winded as fuck!

OP, You are rolling towards the heat!!, thats why.
    Sometimes i end up with a hand or a foot near my wifes virgin mary, it gets really warm down there during the night, well thats my excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Sleep groping is a problem of mine, luckily I haven't met a girl that has been bothered by it.

Sleep rape FTW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

well Im not jynxing myself by saying that no, I have never fallen out of bed

mostly because I think I have once or twice in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

saiint wrote: »
    im in the same situation
    except its my girlfriend doing it
    she starts on the edge of the bed
    then during the night makes her way onto my side, i do go mental ah her haha

not as bad as my mate though
    he has anger problems and while hes asleep he punchs in his sleep he put his wall through ha i do wonder why his partner has bruises

I've also punched herself. Woke up to her in tears punching me and swearing at me and I hadn't a clue what was going on. Then I started laughing when she told me so she kept on punching me.

I also sometimes try to have sex with her in my sleep (never works). She wakes up to me rubbing my crotch against her or something sexy like that.

Sleepwalking too - tried to get into my parents bed once, somethimes wake up naked in the sitting room, wondered into the shower one night.

I don't know why she stays with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

About two weeks ago during bedtime myself and the OH (both private sector workers) were in bed was abruptly woken by my OH giving me a left jab into the ribs. “Get off me” she shrieked “stop rolling over onto my side of the bed” she exclaimed, “you f***ker” she remarked.
    Sure enough during my sleep I had once again rolled over towards the middle of the bed and was in the process of pushing her out.
    This incident got me thinking. Why do we roll towards the centre of the bed and not the other way.
    Is there some sub conscience working during our sleep that we don’t roll out of the bed?
    So I started an experiment and started sleeping on the edge of the bed to see would I fall out.
    Two weeks of nights have passed and I keep rolling towards the centre without fail.

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Fell out of bed once.. only because the friend i was sleeping beside was about twenty foot tall and ten foot wide.. I actually know someone who died because their daughter made too much noise when she came home and he fell out of bed and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

theteal wrote: »
    I like to sleep on the edge with my legs hanging out, herself makes use of the other 8/10ths of the bed

Same, minus the legs hanging out (the boogeyman might get me)...I always sleep at the edge of the bed with my back to the OH...can't sleep touching or facing someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Fell out of bed once.. only because the friend i was sleeping beside was about twenty foot tall and ten foot wide.. I actually know someone who died because their daughter made too much noise when she came home and he fell out of bed and died.

This is why you should always use protection in bed !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My GF sleeps diagonally with the quilt wrapped around her like a cocoon.

Ol' Duggy has to make do with sheets of newspaper stapled together for warmth. :(

At least the crosswords help me go to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Trent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I remember a dream I had many years ago, I was falling off a cliff but just kept falling and falling for what seemed like an eternity.. then I woke with a start, balanced on the very edge of the bed and fell out onto the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

About two weeks ago during bedtime myself and the OH (both private sector workers) were in bed was abruptly woken by my OH giving me a left jab into the ribs.

I got a laugh out of this being included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Varied wrote: »
    Sleep groping is a problem of mine, luckily I haven't met a girl that has been bothered by it.

Sleep rape FTW! :D

Well hello, Mr. Assange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My wife has progressed past all the intermediate annoying sleeping positions to attain the level of The Starfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

theteal wrote: »

Pfft, 8/10ths, selfish bitch, you'd think she'd be happy with 4/5ths...

summerskin wrote: »
    Well hello, Mr. Assange.

Unlike mr assange, I warn my victims.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Varied wrote: »
    Unlike mr assange, I warn my victims.:pac:

By poking them to see it they're awake:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Am I the only one wondering why it was mentioned that they're both private sector workers?

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    By poking them to see it they're awake:)

Eh yes, "poking". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I had a dream that I was playing in goal and I dived out of bed to save the ball, my wife heard the thud and I looked up and said "I just saved a goal"
    I dreamed I invented these special scooter skates that you put on one foot and could scoot around large department stores, until my wheel jammed and I went into the display racks and ended on the bedroom floor again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I prefer falling into bed tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

your rolling to the dip point, the bed will invert at the center so you will roll to it,

but it could also be sleep superior-ism, wanting to be in control while not in control, a 2x4 plank is good to fix this problem and a very good contraceptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Years ago my husband and I had to spend a night in a single bed. I insisted that he have the side beside the wall, so he'd be more comfortable. The following morning when we woke up I forgot where we were, turned over and fell off the bed, onto a phone. He couldn't stop laughing and said it was like watching it happen in slow motion. Don't know which was hurt more, my thigh from falling on the phone or my pride from his laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Years ago my husband and I had to spend a night in a single bed. I insisted that he have the side beside the wall, so he'd be more comfortable. The following morning when we woke up I forgot where we were, turned over and fell off the bed, onto a phone. He couldn't stop laughing and said it was like watching it happen in slow motion. Don't know which was hurt more, my thigh from falling on the phone or my pride from his laughter.

Bet he wasn't so smart tho when you refused his morning pisshorn a home ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

kfallon wrote: »
    Bet he wasn't so smart tho when you refused his morning pisshorn a home ;) :pac:

This is vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Why was the fact that you are both private sector workers necessary to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Why was the fact that you are both private sector workers necessary to the story?
    I'll take this one. You see its important that it is included as people in the private sector have no job security hence having broken sleepless nights thinking about job security and non incrimantial pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Am I the only one wondering why it was mentioned that they're both private sector workers?

Its okay if public sector workers fall out of bed cos they have a safety net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Fell out of bed a few years ago. Its a pretty damn horrible experience as one minute you're happily dreaming away and then the next your eyes open only to see the floor boards inches away from you and then THUMP.

I let out a whine/cry and lay there for a good 10 seconds contemplating going back to sleep in the position I was in but I fored myself up. People often say "its like you're going in slow motion", but thats a load of crap. Its fast, painful and abrupt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement