Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job Description – Process and Communication

Options
  • 04-09-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I need some advice on the process of getting a new job description/promotion and ‘what is normal’. I have had a bit of a funny experience, but I’m not sure how these things normally work.

Since I was employed by the organisation, I have been working at a level higher than my actual job title. This was almost kind of expected of me, but I did it without complaint as I wanted to impress and move up. After 2 years, I asked if I could have a job description revision and new title to reflect what I actually do. My boss was in agreement and asked me to write my new description and sort it out. I thought this was all going to go ahead, but my boss forgot to send the email (which I found a bit weird). After 2 months I asked about it again and my boss then sent the email to HR. Then I waited for another 2 months. I had to chase HR and they claimed to not have received anything. After further chasing they ‘found’ the email, and then just changed my job description on file.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I was expected things to sign, outlining my new salary etc. So I went to see HR and they basically made me feel awkward for going to see them and said they could go through the standard process and see if I was entitled to pay increase, but only when prompted.

Is this normal practice? Have I been cheeky? I’m not really sure what to make of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Hi Op, sounds to me like you've gone and asked for a change of job title when you were really asking for a rise in salary... In my experience these do not necessarily go hand in hand (I know several people who's job titles haven't changed in the years they have worked with their companies but their salaries have and the work they do has also)... Did you ask for an increase in salary when you discussed your change in job title? It sounds to me like you didn't, but expected one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 squeeb

Yes I asked for change in job title - is very important to me as i was under 'administrator' which is really not accurate and would have made it difficult to apply for other jobs in future.

I did just assume salary would change too - but if that's not always the case, that's ok. Just good to know - so I know I'm not being unfairly treated.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unfortunately, even formal promotions don't always involve a pay rise.

What sort of processes do you have in your place - do you have an annual pay review or anything like that? Do you know if they have salary bands for the different roles?

Advertisement