Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Bumper Family Pack' - Avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 04-09-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I was in my local shop yesterday and as it's back to school time I bought a 'family' pack of ham produced by Carrolls - Never again!

The pack says it's best before the 15th of this month. Well as my gran used to say, 'there was no such thing as 'best before' when I was growing up.' I just threw it into the bin as it had started to turn.

I'll just go back to buying my ham from Lidl.

SD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sorry student dad, but you need to calm down a bit, you are way off the mark there.

What has happened is somewhere in the distribution chain, the pack of ham has warmed up and spoiled. It can happen in any shop, any supermarket, and supplier.

Its called the chill chain. Factory to van, van to warehouse, warehouse to shop, shop to your fridge.

Maybe its a bad batch, maybe someone in the shop dumped it on a shelf for a few hours and the shop put it back in the fridge.

Once the chill chain is broken any marked BB date is useless.

Take it back to the shop and ask for a refund or replacement. Even complain to Carrolls, you will not be left out of pocket.

The very same thing could happen with ham from Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you go back to the shop with the product? There is a strong possibility that the problem was due to poor stock maintenance on the part of the shop, distributor etc (i.e. not kept chilled).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bit of a overreaction to be honest, a whole brand is crap because one of their products at some point likely got too warm. If that was the case nobody would ever buy milk!

You didn't even go back to the shop so not really a consumer issue imho,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

StudentDad wrote: »
    Well as my gran used to say, 'there was no such thing as 'best before' when I was growing up.'

People regularly died from eating rancid meat back then though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not really relevant but should meats not have USE BY as opposed to BEST BEFORE dates on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Was this the offer in Tesco? €4 euro per pack, which per kg worked out at about half the price of most other cooked ham and about 30% cheaper than the Tesco own brand variety?

If it was, the offer started week before last I think, we're on our second pack of it, still tasting as nice and fresh as the day we bought it.

Btw - given that it's unseasonably hot at the moment - did you leave the pack out of the fridge for any extended time for any reason? have you checked the temperature control in your own fridge? - Just assking because that 'chill chain' that others referred you to also includes you and your handling of the stock!

Perhaps you've just been unlucky. Would be a pity to write off a whole brand just based on one experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Lplated wrote: »
    Was this the offer in Tesco? €4 euro per pack, which per kg worked out at about half the price of most other cooked ham and about 30% cheaper than the Tesco own brand variety?

If it was, the offer started week before last I think, we're on our second pack of it, still tasting as nice and fresh as the day we bought it.

Btw - given that it's unseasonably hot at the moment - did you leave the pack out of the fridge for any extended time for any reason? have you checked the temperature control in your own fridge? - Just assking because that 'chill chain' that others referred you to also includes you and your handling of the stock!

Perhaps you've just been unlucky. Would be a pity to write off a whole brand just based on one experience though.

Stored in fridge and not only bad experience with Carrolls. May well be a distribution/storage problem with the retailer. Not my headache! All I know is the meat I bought turned the day after it was opened.

SD

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stored in fridge and not only bad experience with Carrolls. May well be a distribution/storage problem with the retailer. Not my headache! All I know is the meat I bought turned the day after it was opened.

SD

it is though, you've spend money on a product which has gone off early and instead of getting a replacement or refund you've lost out by simply dumping it.

Doesn't appear to make good sense,

Cabaal wrote: »

SD

it is though, you've spend money on a product which has gone off early and instead of getting a replacement or refund you've lost out by simply dumping it.

Doesn't appear to make good sense,

Nope it makes perfect sense. I've bought this ham before and was dissatisfied. I saw it on offer and thought, 'good price, I'll see if this crowd have improved.'

Well to my mind I won't be buying their products again. There are plenty of alternatve producers in the market.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have bought there stuff a good bit recently with no problem. Did you buy both in the same store? could be a problem with how they handle the delievery of that product

If the product I bought went off before the expire date and I knew I had stored it correctly I would have brought the item back for a refund rather than throwing it away even if it was me giving the 'family pack a second chance'. I don't see the point in throwing good money in the bin.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    I have bought there stuff a good bit recently with no problem. Did you buy both in the same store? could be a problem with how they handle the delievery of that product

If the product I bought went off before the expire date and I knew I had stored it correctly I would have brought the item back for a refund rather than throwing it away even if it was me giving the 'family pack a second chance'. I don't see the point in throwing good money in the bin.

I gave them their chance - more than once :) - so I'll not be buying their products again. When I buy something I don't expect to have to deal with meat going off a day after purchase and then having to go haggle with a shop for a refund!

I expect it to be perfect every time - no messing - no grief and no dodgy product.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I gave them their chance - more than once :) - so I'll not be buying their products again. When I buy something I don't expect to have to deal with meat going off a day after purchase and then having to go haggle with a shop for a refund!

I expect it to be perfect every time - no messing - no grief and no dodgy product.

SD

What problems did you have with them in the past?:confused:

ejmaztec wrote: »

SD

What problems did you have with them in the past?:confused:

I wasn't happy with the quality for the money. Nothing wrong with it, just expected a higher standard. So when I was rushed trying to get my children to school, pulled the ham from the fridge to find it had started to turn. That was the last straw.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wasn't happy with the quality for the money. Nothing wrong with it, just expected a higher standard. So when I was rushed trying to get my children to school, pulled the ham from the fridge to find it had started to turn. That was the last straw.

SD

Sorry but why moan here and not contact the store or manufacturers? I have often bought this ham and find it as good as any for the money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sorry but why moan here and not contact the store or manufacturers? I have often bought this ham and find it as good as any for the money. :rolleyes:

Perhaps my taste-buds are shot to pieces but all varieties of pre-packed ham, no matter whose label is displayed, all tastes the same to me. The only difference seems to be the wide variation in the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

when you say started to turn, what do you mean?
    were there little green men, a furry coat, an oil slick look or something else?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

SD

Each to their own. Just won't be buying it again.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I bought a bar of Cadbury chocolate before and when I opened it it was gone all off. I contacted Cadbury directly who then sent me out a huge Cadbury hamper. Companies want to know when their products don't reach the consumer in perfect condition because bad reviews travel faster than good one and can seriously damage their reputation.

I've bought Carrolls ham plenty of times without any issue so it's unfair to tell people to avoid them because of your issue.

Neilos wrote: »
    I've bought Carrolls ham plenty of times without any issue so it's unfair to tell people to avoid them because of your issue.

Well said. I think that's the perfect comment on this complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was to boycott somebody it would be the shop rather than the ham. They are more likely to blame.

I rarely buy chicken in tesco anymore as I see how the shelf stackers in my local one work. I have often got chicken beginning to go off while it had a few days left on the date. I do not blame the brand of chicken, I presume all brands will be handled similarly there. (though I know some brands might have their own merchandiser people). They also simply do not have very cool fridges.

• Advertisement

From my point of view the product is not worth the regular price. The quality does not justify the price. So when I saw it at a reduced price, looked fine, in a family pack. I bought it. The pack stamped it as being well in date. I was not expecting the meat to go off the next bloody day.

Whether anyone chooses not to buy this product or not is not my decision. However, my experience with this product is not good.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Whether anyone chooses not to buy this product or not is not my decision. However, my experience with this product is not good.

SD

Maybe you should change the Thread Title so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 polymath

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps my taste-buds are shot to pieces but all varieties of pre-packed ham, no matter whose label is displayed, all tastes the same to me. The only difference seems to be the wide variation in the prices.

Have you tried going to a check up for that. It seems a lot like a condition that needs attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

SD

As many people in this thread have pointed out to you, there are a lot more variables than just the manufacture of the product itself, that could have impacted on its quality- including by the way, the temperature of your own fridge at home.

If you want to continue to believe that this is a sub standard product, that's your privilege but you haven't provided any proof in this thread that would sway my positive view of this company and their products.

What you should of done in the interests of consumer health and safety is alert the shop to your experience so they could try and establish the root cause. I don't see this as a consumer issue- its more just a rant against a company and you're not willing to listen to any alternative explanation that is more likely to be closer to the reality of what happened.

Cicero wrote: »
    As many people in this thread have pointed out to you, there are a lot more variables than just the manufacture of the product itself, that could have impacted on its quality- including by the way, the temperature of your own fridge at home.

If you want to continue to believe that this is a sub standard product, that's your privilege but you haven't provided any proof in this thread that would sway my positive view of this company and their products.

What you should of done in the interests of consumer health and safety is alert the shop to your experience so they could try and establish the root cause. I don't see this as a consumer issue- its more just a rant against a company and you're not willing to listen to any alternative explanation that is more likely to be closer to the reality of what happened.

Wow, do you work for this company? I think you need to take a less aggressive stance. Whether or not you think this company makes a good product or otherwise is your opinion. Mine differs from yours given my experience with their products.

As regards the 'reality of what happened,' you have some arrogance trying to tell me what's what. Do you live in my fridge by any chance? In there lurking behind the butter perhaps?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Are you sure that it doesn't state somewhere on the package that "once opened, use within x amount of days"?
    I work in a deli serving ham myself (student job, don't judge :P) and I know that once ham is exposed to air it begins to turn. If cut and bagged, it should be used within two to three days absolute max - and this is assuming that you have stored it in an airtight refrigerated place. Obviously this timeframe is extended when it is vacuum packed in factory conditions, but I assume the meat's reaction is more or less the same - in that if it is exposed to heat or air it will start to sweat or dry out, causing it to prematurely go off. This could easily have happened on the meat's journey from the factory to the shop fridge, or from the shop to your home.

ajjmk wrote: »
    Are you sure that it doesn't state somewhere on the package that "once opened, use within x amount of days"?
    I work in a deli serving ham myself (student job, don't judge :P) and I know that once ham is exposed to air it begins to turn. If cut and bagged, it should be used within two to three days absolute max - and this is assuming that you have stored it in an airtight refrigerated place. Obviously this timeframe is extended when it is vacuum packed in factory conditions, but I assume the meat's reaction is more or less the same - in that if it is exposed to heat or air it will start to sweat or dry out, causing it to prematurely go off. This could easily have happened on the meat's journey from the factory to the shop fridge, or from the shop to your home.

Not after a day :) I bought it monday, opened it took out some of the ham. It seemed okay, resealed it and put it back in the fridge. The following morning it was off and there is nothing wrong with my fridge.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

rameire wrote: »
    when you say started to turn, what do you mean?
    were there little green men, a furry coat, an oil slick look or something else?

again, see above.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I think you need to take a less aggressive stance. Whether or not you think this company makes a good product or otherwise is your opinion. Mine differs from yours given my experience with their products.

As someone has already suggested, perhaps you should change the title of the thread so!

As my aunt used to say "They're all out of step except our Jonnie". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Do you live in my fridge by any chance? In there lurking behind the butter perhaps?

SD

No, I'm over near the Lidl salami- which is gone mouldy btw...its roasting in here...;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement