Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Endas school looks like closing

• 04-09-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I have just read on the leader that St Endas increasinlgy looks like it is going to be closed.

I went to the school back in the late 80's early 90's and must admit that it was a really good school. The place was buzzing and full of life.

The article states that there are just 127 students in the school which sounds way off the mark.

When i started in 1st year there was probably 127 students in 1st year alone.

I have not been anywhere near the school in a long time and would be interested to know if someone here could shed some light on the situation.

It also mentions that the swimming pool closed in February which is a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

127 would be about right.

Most people from old cork road, drombanna, ballyneety etc, don't choose it anymore. Add that to the dwindling numbers in Southill. A lot of students from Southill have chosen CBS and Pres in recent years.

It's a shame really as it is probably still one of the newest schools in Limerick.
    I don't know any other school in Limerick that had pitches, tennis courts and a pool either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It should be turned into a public amenity what with the pool there it would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Mc Love wrote: »
    It should be turned into a public amenity what with the pool there it would be perfect

Wait and see.....it'll probably be turned into a halting site...

I remember it when it first opened....we used to swim in pool at weekends and also played indoor soccer up there on a Saturday. Way back then there weren't any other places in Limerick that offered those facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

I went there in the early nineties, got a bit of stick for it but I really loved the school.
    I remember leaving cert repeat students who came from other schools saying it was not what they had expected and they thought it was great for both teaching and the sports facilities.

One of the secretaries is a family friend and said numbers have dwindled and its more of a remedial school and they take in students who are expelled elsewhere.

Was up there a couple of years ago and the place looks really shabby and unkempt.

It will be a pity if it closes but it does not have the best reputation and I certainly would never send my child there the way it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Hard to believe given all the schools around the country that are full of prefabs, that one of the schools with the best facilities is closing.

is the swimming pool stillin operation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's meant to have really good teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I suppose 1 of the other posters alluded to, boils down to a falling population. In terms of new primary schools opening, Limerick has also lost out, all as result of getting left behind during the Celtic Tiger years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Chuck won't be too pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

On the radio this morning (MOrning Ireland on RTE1) there was an article about St Endas closing down, so unfortunately it looks definite that its closing down. Sad news for Limerick. So with the school and the pool closed down, what will happen to the entire complex? What will happen to the poor kids and teachers at the school? My heart goes out to them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

When I went there, there must have been 5-6 classes for first years, about 30 each. Shocking decline.

A girl I went to school with is now a teacher there actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Arent there 2 large- ish primary Gaelscoils crying out for a new premises?
    Well here's one ready to go in Sept. Wouldnt that be an ideal use of dept of education money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

They should make it a non religious primary and secondary school - there's a demand for it and with this baby boom going on the school would be packed very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I went to Endas cant say it is a great loss to be honest , they were hardly producing great minds ( myself included ) , Maybe it should be set up as a community centre for Southill, Carew Park, Old Cork Road etc

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

campo wrote: »
    I went to Endas cant say it is a great loss to be honest , they were hardly producing great minds ( myself included ) , Maybe it should be set up as a community centre for Southill, Carew Park, Old Cork Road etc

Speak for yourself, I'm a fracking genius. Actually I know quite a few people from my class have gone on to be successful. Actors. Teachers. IT Managers. Software Developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

and PhD graduates

Advertisement