Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of a drink in Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Was there last week at they were selling a 500ml 'beer of the month' for €4 - and it was 8% alcohol too! That's effectively two pints of standard lager for €4

I'd take it easy on that stuff, threw a few pints of the Porter house Winter warmer down a while back, around the same strength and I was cabbage.

Are they using 500ml glasses there instead of pint glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

nudger wrote: »
    I'd take it easy on that stuff, threw a few pints of the Porter house Winter warmer down a while back, around the same strength and I was cabbage.

Are they using 500ml glasses there instead of pint glasses?

Honestly can't remember!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Honestly can't remember!!

That good, will have to pop in so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

nudger wrote: »
    That good, will have to pop in so.:D

Ha Ha, think they we got euro-style 500ml glasses, actually could have been Fischers branded glasses.. anyway, if you do pop in, I'll be the one being stretchered out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Larianne wrote: »
    Grando. Might try it out so. I walk by there all the time but have never set foot in the place.

The Oval is not a bad wee pub, Larianne. Not too pricey and handy if you're on O'Connell Street.

I was in Dublin last week and had a pleasant few pints in my usual haunts, MacTurcaills and The Ginger Man.

Costs? €3.50 and €3.60 respectively. You couldn't be bad to that.

Basically, if you check publin.ie you can't go wrong for a recession session. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What wa 3.60 in The Ginger Man? I always found it a bit pricey in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

writers block lager (lovely), writers red ale (nice all) and friars weiss(lovely lovely wheat beer). Beamish also I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

As cojomo2 says, stick with those beers (craft brews from the Franciscan Well Cork Brewery) for good times at a good price! Pitchers of the same beers available too! Hurrah! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

CucaFace wrote: »
    Turks head do €3.50 a pint i think now on a Sunday between 2 and 8.

Not 100% sure about the times but not bad for a pub in Temple bar.

Er, it's illegal for pubs to sell alcohol for a reduced price for only part of the day. Has been since 2003.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mambo wrote: »
    Er, it's illegal for pubs to sell alcohol for a reduced price for only part of the day. Has been since 2003.
    It's only illegal if the price goes down. If it's €3.50 from opening until 8 and then goes up it's perfectly legal. But if they open at 12:30, say, and drop the price at 2, that would be illegal. But I doubt they're doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's only illegal if the price goes down. If it's €3.50 from opening until 8 and then goes up it's perfectly legal. But if they open at 12:30, say, and drop the price at 2, that would be illegal. But I doubt they're doing that.

The law prohibits selling alcohol "at a reduced price during a limited period ... on any day" - the exact wording is:
    A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day.

“reduced price” means a price less than that regularly being charged for the intoxicating liquor during an earlier period after 10.30 a.m. (12.30 p.m. on a Sunday) on the day concerned.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0031/sec0020.html#sec20

So it may be legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The law prohibits selling alcohol "at a reduced price during a limited period ... on any day" - the exact wording is:

I suppose what they're doing is similar to many late bars that put up the price after midnight, except the Turk's Head is doing it at 8pm instead.

Except, the Turk's Head HIGHER price on a Sunday (after 8pm) is their normal price other days of the week(?). So you could claim that the LOWER price on a Sunday is a "reduced price" and therefore illegal.

The law is, that the price may not be lowered after opening time (12.30) until closing time (11pm). There's nothing to stop them having a lower price on Sunday than other days

Edit: Just saw your edit there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

So you could claim that the LOWER price on a Sunday is a "reduced price" and therefore illegal.
    No you couldn't, because of the "on any day" bit. Lowering the price between closing time on Saturday night and opening time on Sunday afternoon does not count as "a reduced price during a limited period after 10.30 a.m. on any day" because it's a different day, and therefore not a reduction. The clock is reset when the doors open each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Can't believe the price for a pint now in Dublin city so hope to resurrect this thread in the hope of find good pints in Dublin at the cheapest price.

Anyone know of any?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Owning a pub in certain parts of Temple Bar is like having a licence to print money even at 7 Euro a pint these pubs still get packed out.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fitzgerald-pub-dynasty-in-66m-dividend-windfall-34768877.html

The Fitzgerald family, who control some of the country's best known pubs, have booked a dividend windfall of €66.45m.

The dividend for the family follows a restructuring of the Louis Fitzgerald-led business.
    The group's Ocsas Holdings Ltd booked a profit of €46m last year from the internal group transfer.
    Some of the pub businesses transferred to the Fitzgerald entity, Velves Ltd, at a net book value in November 2014 include the Quays Bar in Temple Bar, the Big Tree, Kehoes and the Louis Fitzgerald hotel.

The overall net book value of the assets disposed to Velves totalled €147m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Fair play to them. I can't stand the Quays but it is rammed all day every day. They're doing something right.

I don't think the price of a pint in Temple Bar means anything across the rest of the City. A pint in the City was €5.30ish when I moved here in 2009 and is €5.50ish now on average. I'll be in London tonight where the price of a pint has gone through the roof in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, if they're packed out every night of the week selling €7 pints, they'd be absolutely crazy to lower the price. Every city in the world has tourist trap pubs, funnily enough, usually Irish bars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Temple Bar will probably look cheap in comparison to what 0000s are going to be shelling out for a pint in Paris the next few days.

Dublin isn't too bad.

Advertisement