Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work FullTime but Struggling

• 04-09-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I would like advice on the following.

I work full time (39 hours) per week. I do not qualify for any benefits except (FIS). I am living on a rented house, I am a single parent to 4 children. I am thinking of reducing my hours (28-30 hours) per week. I come home late and I do not have time to spend with my young children.

I have always worked (all my life) but to be honest I am barely breaking even, the rent is killing me (been on the waiting list for housing for years). I do not have a saving on my name.

Please advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How much maintenance do you get from your children's father(s)? Do you bit qualify for rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluemamba

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How much maintenance do you get from your children's father(s)? Do you bit qualify for rent allowance?

The father passed away. Do not qualify for rent allowance, due to the hours I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Can you go and have a chat with your local TD and ask him to help speed up the process of you getting a council house? I have always had luck when going to them. Explain your situation and they will be more then happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

OP - it might be worth your while cutting your hours down and applying for one parent family payment (you can earn up to approximately €140 per week and still get full payment)

From there you could apply for FIS (family income supplement), medical cards for you and all of your children, would be paying less tax and could apply for rent allowance.

I was in your boat, just making ends meet is tough, you'd need to sit down with a calculator and work it all out - also bear in mind that any of these could be cut in the next budget.

I'm making the assumption that you pay for childcare? which if you were working less hours would cost less.

Thats all without mentioning, less stress and more time with your kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

I'm presuming you are not eligible for Widows/Surviving Civil partners pension.
    It just that a relative (not near retirement age) is in receipt of a contributory pension on the basis of her deceased husbands PRSI.
    Even though she has substantial seperate income in her own right the contributory pension is not means tested. Even the means tested version has a substantial income disregard.
    There is no lower income threshold as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement