Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to learn to set up my own website/blog?

• 04-09-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just looking for advice on the best way to learn how to set up my own website or blog (not sure how they differ in terms of set up & maintenance :o)?

I was thinking of doing a FAS course - Web Page Design (Intro) - anyone any experience or opinions on this?

I don't have any experience other than a small bit of HTML I did while administering an internal website about 10 years ago (!!) and Boards.ie is the first place I came to ask for pointers in the right direction so please excuse my ignorance!

In a nutshell, I'm fairly PC savvy, years of administration work behind me but no clue what goes on behind the scenes on the Internet. I'm a part-time music teacher and would like to set up a website to interact with my students online, give class information and allow students submit assignments online. I'd like to learn how to do it for myself so that I can maintain & improve it over time and also for the personal development of doing it myself (i.e. I'm not in it for the certificate).

As a busy stay-at-home-mum I'm afraid I don't have a huge amount of spare time to try to teach myself from scratch so I'm thinking an evening course would be good to get me started. The stay-at-home-mum thing also means that I don't have a huge amount of money to throw at this so any tips for keeping costs down are welcome!

Is it better to consider a blog or a website? Where do I go to set started with either?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For a personal, one-off website, just use Wordpress. It's nice and user-friendly with plenty of plugins which should meet yours music teaching needs and you shouldn't need any learning up on html, css etc (though it wouldn't do much harm to do so).

Advertisement