Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend photos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some from Saturdays isora

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Weird rig on #2, the 'barque'. No yards on the foremast and it seems to have what looks like a boom near deck level. Does anyone know her name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You done well with the weather!

This was our (eventually abandoned) attempt at DBSC racing on Saturday!

Weather started off good but we had fog and light winds for a good bit of it really screwed up our race

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What a bastard rig. I suppose it reduces crew numbers and the need for people to go aloft. I'd hate to have to balance her in a blow; just drop everything on the mainmast and use the gaffs on the foremast and mizen. Not very nautical but very health and safety!

There was another shitter tied up alongside on the other side so probably part of that rig

I saw that when I was trying to make out the rig - at first I thought it might have been special ratlines/shrouds until I realised it was a ketch tied up alongside As the Pelican site says, her rig is 'unique'

Saw what looked to be a brand new Cape 31 splashing the water for the first time before I got hoisted out today in Malahide!!

They look like they’ll be fun!!

• Advertisement

Wright's from howth 31.

2 on the hard in howth some length of keel for a boat that size.

Big pink extension on the bow is alot more then 6 inches 😉

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful sailing day today off Greystones.

2 Capes in Howth

Saw them yesterday!!!

they’ll be fun coming in/out on lowish tides, with that big rock outside the Lifeboat station!!!

Half Tonner Swuzzlebuble in Howth

No sailing today as I was Anti-Fouling!!!

But came home to catch the fleet in what looks like the Lambay Race slugging it out up towards the island in a fairly stiff breeze!!

I'm expecting to see a load of kites soon on the far side coming back down to Howth.

They cancelled a few fleets but great sail back from lambay with kite up

I think that must be a later Swuzzlebubble?? AFAIR the original, sailed out of the RIYC in the '70's, had a green hull.

I was out there - and it was more than a stiff breeze, and a right lumpy sea to boot. Very, very hard work. But a great sleigh ride back under kite.

We earned our pints today!!!

• Advertisement

She was great in light airs but hated a choppy sea. Des Cummins helmed her mostly when Gus Mehigan owned her

Few from Friday

Finally got back in the water!! Now let’s have some good weather please…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

A gentle sail earlier today.

A lovely spin over to DL and back on Saturday (it’s great when the tides work out as it’s just over 2 hours Malahide to DL). Upon leaving Malahide we came across a boat that had ran around on the sand bar, and were awaiting the RNLI to come and remove the children and their mother…

What was interesting though was the Howth AWB decided to go around Irelands Eye as opposed to through Howth Sound citing the tide, even though we were still about 2 hours away from low water! I’d have thought Howth Sound would be no issue for the All Weather Lifeboat even at low tide!!!

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

We were doing a race up to Lambay on Saturday and could hear the chatter on the radio, didnt know what was going on till we got back. The sandbank to the west of Irelands Eye has built up alot more towards the island over the last few years and can be shallow enough in parts.

Some pics from our champagne-sailing delivery home from Cork overnight.

First time I've actually seen that Éire 7 sign!

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

I built a patio here 2004, was great for a swim at HT......

An alternative way to travel the seas yesterday…… and in fairness, a steady 25kts is not to be sniffed at!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Advertisement