Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router that divvies out bandwith

Options
  • 04-09-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi There,

I am looking for some advice please.

At the moment I have a router from my internet company and theres a wire that goes from that into a switch and then that goes into another router downstairs that has wifi enabled.

what im looking for is another router that I can use to divide up the bandwith so say that only 30% of it is made available to that one router downstairs and the other 70% is available for everyone else upstairs.

If anyone had any suggestions it would be great.

My current router upstairs is a xytel p-600 series with magnet - Id be open to getting another wifi router for downstairs if that was an option as well.

thanks a mill
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You want to look up traffic shaping or QOS. It has a tendency to get a bit complicated. I have no idea if the p-600 can do this, but assuming it can't I'd imagine your easiest option might be getting a router that supports Tomato (I've never used it). Other than that the other replacement firmwares can do it too (such as dd-wrt or openwrt). The microtik devices seem popular on this forum but it really depends on how tech-savvy you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Forget the router, think switching!

If you get your hands on a second hand Cisco catalyst switch to replace your current switch you can Limit Bandwidth on an individual port. (They can be got for less than 50 euro on ebay)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/limit-bandwidth-on-a-cisco-catalyst-switch-port/404

You configure the switch operating system ( Cisco IOS ) using a console cable (Rollover cable) from your PC to your switch. There is some learning involved but not too much, as Cisco switches generally work well straight out of the box.

You should be able to implement exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

A Cisco switch..forcible to hide it in the attic due to internal fan noise !!

Go for two Wireless Access Points,smart/managed and with PoE enabled and set the speed in the GUI.
    I know few models that have the setting for what type of speed/bandwidth to provide to attached clients !

Advertisement