Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8.5% gas price increase

• 04-09-2012 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

So there blaming currency value as the culprit,im gona be chopping a few trees down this winter!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Gawd, that's petrol, food, Gas and we are promised a poxy budget as well.

I think I will just stay in bed next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

drdeadlift wrote: »
    So there blaming currency value as the culprit,im gona be chopping a few trees down this winter!

Can I have some, please?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And to top it all, they actually only went looking for +7.5%!
    Sure, round it UP there Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe some of the CEOs need a pay increase as well, them poor sods :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

It's not that funny.....

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm glad I only need to moan about the price of heating oil and electricity.

I'm going to find some of those bears that sh1t in the woods and make myself a twenty layer bearskin outfit, and the energy suppliers can go fuck themselves.

I think the combination of these price increases across the board and its not 1 or 2% its all 5 to 10% and the poxy budget down the road will cause civil disruption with strikes and riots.

Just as you get use to living on less, you then have to deal with another cut. People are at the end of their tether.

Biggins wrote: »
    You forgot about ESB: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0826/esbelectricireland.html

Increase by 14.8%

These are increase upon the increases we have already have had within the last year! :(

14.8% Jesus, that has turned me to religion.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Colmustard wrote: »
    14.8% Jesus, that has turned me to religion.:eek:

Its got mad.
    As a home-owner and dad of four kids, I've seen my ESB alone rise in increases at about 24% in the last year and a half.
    And thats not including the increase in gas and carbon tax (thanks Green Party!), as well as vat increases.

Great isn't it!

Not to worry, I'm sure the government will find more money for the banks though!

EDIT: REMINDER.
    Electricity and Gas Prices – Don’t be Fooled
    July 25, 2011 | Posted by Money Expert

With the deregulation of the home energy market in Ireland came an increase in hard sell tactics and expensive advertising campaigns. In the UK – where there are many more energy suppliers – there is evidence of doorstep salesmen pressurising consumers into signing up for unsuitable gas and electricity tariffs. MPs are calling for energy companies to pay compensation to customers who were mis-sold gas and electricity contracts.

In the UK the energy regulator estimates that 40% of people who switched did not get a better deal. Here in Ireland doorstep and on-street sales are often used by some of the energy companies – sometimes using commission-only staff who are under pressure to sell. They can easily persuade potential customers that they are the cheapest – when the opposite might be true.
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/electric-ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We got our Electricity bill today. There are only two of us. It was 179 euros for 44 days:eek:. I thought my husband was going to have a heart attack when he saw it. It had jumped by 50euros since the last bill. We don't use a tumble dryer or a dishwasher. I have no idea where that came from, we switched to Electric Ireland for lower bills:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

We got our Electricity bill today. There are only two of us. It was 179 euros for 44 days:eek:. I thought my husband was going to have a heart attack when he saw it. It had jumped by 50euros since the last bill. We don't use a tumble dryer or a dishwasher. I have no idea where that came from, we switched to Electric Ireland for lower bills:confused:
    Probably from your electricity supplier? If you have genuinely no idea where it came from, send a cheque for the correct amount to : Mr Pottler, C/O Boards.ie, Boards House, Dublin. If you don't pay, we're going to have to disconnect you.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mauzo wrote: »
    It's not that funny.....

Sorry :o

:D Nice darts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

drdeadlift wrote: »

Meh, I'm going to offer a free Christmas tree disposal service and let people bring the trees to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Meh, I'm going to offer a free Christmas tree disposal service and let people bring the trees to me.

In january!!

... It'll be a cold december then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Just on the dishwasher part, it's actually cheaper to wash your cutlery and crockery with one, considering some people have to heat a whole tank of water otherwise. Sorry, too lazy to look for a link.

Just on the dishwasher part, it's actually cheaper to wash your cutlery and crockery with one, considering some people have to heat a whole tank of water otherwise. Sorry, too lazy to look for a link.

No you use less water in a dish washer then the sink and most people can just boil a kettle of water and a bit of quix and that is all you need.

The dishwashers ates the juice and the detergents are not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Can't wait for 2eur per litre petrol!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 BaronVonBacon

There is no value for money in this country whatsoever.

Our taxes may as well be piled together and set alight and we're ripped off on basically each and every service and product on offer.

The country now cannot, and will not, ever recover. I'm just glad that I'll have emigrated within 18 months.

A lot of the inflation is due to the deflating value of the Euro, economically it is what we want, it will further boost our exports.

But us living on the ground with a fallen currency it gets tough. I will be interested in the inflation figures I can see them reaching above 5 probably as much as 10% next year.

Its going to be ....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and we save 200 pounds a year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 BaronVonBacon

Shryke wrote: »
    We run the gas off the electricity...the electricity off the gas

That line wouldn't be out of place in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-PldwYpD0Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Shryke wrote: »
    We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and we save 200 pounds a year.
    That's gas

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Why don't people get a loan of 60k, buy triple glazing windows, increase insulation in your walls and attic, get a new energy efficient boiler, buy solar panels, and a second hand electric car. In one fell swoop you will have reduced your energy needs by about 80%, and you will never have to worry about gas/oil/petrol prices ever again. The savings you make mean the 60k you spent will have been recovered in about 15 years, after that its money in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Colmustard wrote: »
    No you use less water in a dish washer then the sink and most people can just boil a kettle of water and a bit of quix and that is all you need.

The dishwashers ates the juice and the detergents are not cheap.

Modern A++ rated dishwashers are very cheap to run and also use a small puddle of water. The older ones used to absolutely blast through electricity!

Bosch apparently uses something like 180kWh per year (using it daily) = 180*17cent = 30 quid a year.

Get your dishwasher tablets in Aldi! Works out at something ridiculous like 4 cent per wash vs about 40 cent per wash for the branded stuff and it's just as good a result.

Also run the eco cycle!

Biggest energy burners in Irish houses are :

1) Recessed spot lights. New houses (post-celtic tiger) are full of the bloody things. They cost a fortune in electricity as you've usually got loads of them instead of one or two lights. Fit normal pendant lights or a fancy chandelier of some sort and use standard lamps plugged in for extra light.

2) Tumble dryers - most of them waste a fortune in electricity.
    Way to save power : spin your clothes on max speed to get as much water out as possible first. Also, in winter use your condenser dryer as an extra source of heat. A decent condenser is quiet, and it will also not release any steam. The waste heat gets blown back into the room. So, put the dryer somewhere you need heat like the kitchen or the dining room (put it behind a louver door!)
    Alternatively, get a heat-pump dryer if you've loads of money (but in that case u might not worry about the bill anyway)
    Also consider drying your clothes outdoors (build a shelter for them it rains a lot in Ireland) .. you can air them in the dryer for a few minutes to get them fully dry / fluffy.
    Sensor dryers also use less power as they stop exactly when the clothes are dry. Older dryers tend to rumble on toasting your dry clothes.

3) Kettles - fill them only as much as you need i.e. don't boil 2 litres of water for a cup of tea. Modern kettles have a flat disk element at the bottom, they can boil very small amounts of water. Old kettles needed to be filled deeper. Also, that's why jug-kettles became popular. Big old round kettles were energy hogs.

4) Ovens, hobs etc... try and microwave more, it's way cheaper. E.g. instead of boiling vegetables on the hob, put them in the microwave for a few mins with a small splash of water in a covered bowl. Healthier, tastier and way way less energy hungry!
    If you can afford it, get an induction hob - way cheaper to run!

5) Showers - instead of the long shower ... turn shower on -- spray... soap up... rinse... exit shower! it's for washing yourself, not luxuriating in!!
    Electric showers consume HUGE amounts of power compared to other appliances in your house. Also, heating tanks of water is pretty expensive too.
    Get solar heating if you want to have long showers!

Eh, other than that just get your house insulated properly, make sure your heating system's not a total disaster. A lot of older systems tend to spend most of their time heating the garden or the chimney (especially old oil systems).

Turn off rads / heaters in rooms you're not using

Drop your house temperature down to about 18ºC - 19ºC --- most houses are drastically overheated anyway.

delad wrote: »
    Why don't people get a loan of 60k, buy triple glazing windows, increase insulation in your walls and attic, get a new energy efficient boiler, buy solar panels, and a second hand electric car. In one fell swoop you will have reduced your energy needs by about 80%, and you will never have to worry about gas/oil/petrol prices ever again. The savings you make mean the 60k you spent will have been recovered in about 15 years, after that its money in the bank.

Why wasn't some of this standard during the building boom, an awful wasted opportunity, go Fine Fail,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Ah here, I'm going to go back to Fred Flintstone cars at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think it might be time to put my money into thermal underwear stocks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Solair wrote: »
    I think it might be time to put my money into thermal underwear and socks!!

FYP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I was hoping for another election so I could burn all the crap they's stick in the letterbox and if it got really cold I could have pulled a few posters off poles and burned them too. Damn anyway,:(. Maybe I should start applying to the government departments instead and get them to send me out copies of the EU directives, there'd be some good burning material to be had there i'd say and plenty of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Stop cutting turf they said............. be grand they said.

Advertisement