Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway hurlers homecoming

Options
  • 04-09-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Has any one heard what the plans are for the Galway Hurling team home coming next Monday?
    im sure big crowds will greet them whatever the result may be.
    will it be in the Cathedral car park like the football was in 98 or will it be stopping in Ballinasloe/Loughrea/Athenry etc on the way or will it just go straight to Galway?
    COME ON GALWAY!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I heard they might be stopping in a shop in Ballinasloe for sweets in they're good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ballinasloe is always the highlight of hurling homecomings.

Its where the team bases itself on match days.

Gullane's Hotel is their meeting point on the morning of games and the place where they board the team bus.

Its also the place they return to afterwards for a meal.

They get a lot more than sweets in Ballinasloe. Its where their core supporters hail from !

Most of the players would prefer to stay on in Ballinasloe for celebrations before making their own way home from there.

Travelling on to the city is a pain in the behind for them. But they do it out of a sense of duty to the fairweather fans there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I heard they're going down to Kilkenny to join the party..?

popcorn.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

J o e wrote: »
    I heard they're going down to Kilkenny to join the party..?

popcorn.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtIbE02C-KafQkFzpn9-IpW5B52wm2VTDHl8t4id2w1JZKJjZ3

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

ive just seen on facebook that its going to be at 7.30 at Nun's Island,it didnt mention if it was stopping on the way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

is there going to be a silent disco - there seems to be one of these at the opening of every envelope in Galway. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

is there going to be a silent disco - there seems to be one of these at the opening of every envelope in Galway. :D:D

Jaysus when did that start!? It was bound to happen, for so many years the town was over run with Yuppies and Hippies. They've combined to create Hipsters who like Silent Discos, Fish pedicures and overly expensive sweets they had when they were in Canada, America or Australia finding themselves. May God have mercy on us all!

This thread should be deleted, its only putting a curse on the team talking about a home coming days before the match is even played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

This thread should be deleted, its only putting a curse on the team talking about a home coming days before the match is even played.

In fairness the only time there has not been a homecoming is in the event of a draw (if it ever happened with the hurlers, it was before my time).

It's a tradition that we get somewhere to show up and cheer/boo (delete as appropriate in Sunday evening) the team.

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness the only time there has not been a homecoming is in the event of a draw (if it ever happened with the hurlers, it was before my time).

It's a tradition that we get somewhere to show up and cheer/boo (delete as appropriate in Sunday evening) the team.

Exactly it has nothing to do with a victory parade. It's held regardless of how the final goes.
    The attendance and the occasion is the only thing to be decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

One of my earliest memories, loughrea 1980, truly magical..

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

it is suppose to be in nuns island

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Signs up saying the Cathedral car park is closed from Saturday onwards and the bus parking spots are all coned off at the moment. This could present fun and games if there's a full complement of student buses there later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

is it still going to happen????????????????????????/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

cats.life wrote: »
    is it still going to happen????????????????????????/

I'd say it'll be held back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

why do they need to have a rematch. could they not have just added on a extra ten minutes? maybe it is money making exercise?

82,300 x €80 = €6.58 million . Nice result for the GAA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

J o e wrote: »
    82,300 x €80 = €6.58 million . Nice result for the GAA ;)

cynical and probably true, but what is the official excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Discount the Hill/Nally tickets, free tickets to sponsors and all the tickets the player's get and the figure is a fair bit less than that. But J o e I do agree with your point.

Add in the fact that both teams would prefer to reset for a 3 week prep period for a replay rather than go into extra-time to decide an AI and it's probably the best choice (and yes I know it won't be cheap for supporters but take that out of the equation and it's fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Fuinseog wrote: »

I dunno, it's just always been that way?
    I can't think of any better excuse.
    Anyway g'wan Galway for the replay.
    Lots of shot practice for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Back to the original topic, is it confirmed that the parade is postponed until after the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

flazio wrote: »
    Back to the original topic, is it confirmed that the parade is postponed until after the replay?

From the GA FB page:

Homecoming deferred shocker — "we'll hold it in October," says City Council

A missive from City Hall — "Following the draw in the Senior Hurling All-Ireland Final yesterday and the replay planned for Sunday 30th September, the homecoming event and civic reception planned for this evening (Monday 10th September) has been postponed until Monday 1st October.
    The carparks at Cathedral Square and Mill Street have now re-opened to the public.
    Galway City Council would like to thank everyone involved in the organisation of the homecoming for all of their work. We also wish the Galway hurling team the best of luck in the replay. Gaillimh Abú!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Discount the Hill/Nally tickets, free tickets to sponsors and all the tickets the player's get and the figure is a fair bit less than that. But J o e I do agree with your point.

surely there would be broadcasting rights to add as well

The Galway Advertiser just posted this on Facebook...

"Ticket prices for replay to be reduced — The GAA has announced the following ticket reductions for the 2012 GAA Hurling final replay between Galway and Kilkenny at Croke Park on September 30; Stand €50 (down from €80) and Terrace €25 (down from €40)."

Nice one GAA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fuinseog wrote: »

Excuse? All of this was set out at the start of the year (see the outcry about moving Ladies's finals because of the set dates for a replay).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The homecoming is switched to .....Pearse Stadium, according to a risk assessment carried out by the Council (which I'm sure included a chapter on responsible parking).
    Hurray for the denizens of Rockbarton and to them being kept awake on a school night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    The homecoming is switched to .....Pearse Stadium, according to a risk assessment carried out by the Council (which I'm sure included a chapter on responsible parking).
    Hurray for the denizens of Rockbarton and to them being kept awake on a school night.

That's all right if you're a member of a hurling club - you get the week off work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »

there won't be too many asleep at 7.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 connellciaran

<No tickets selling or buying in this forum, read the charter for clarification.>

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So, eh
    Who will be out celebrating the losing team?

Advertisement