Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery Gift ?.

• 04-09-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I just received a text message telling me I have been chosen to receive a free gift.
    The website address includes the word ' sony '.
    I have no intention of going near the website but just wondering has anybody else gotten a text like this?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.

IGNORE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's a boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah mine was for an ipad.

I never opened it either, I just deleted it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes. Its a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Reminds me of the time when I won the Nigerian lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's how I got my 1st iPhone and my 2nd and 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yeah mine was for an ipad.

I never opened it either, I just deleted it.

you mean threw it in the bin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Salt001 wrote: »
    I just received a text message telling me I have been chosen to receive a free gift.
    I have no intention of going near the website but just wondering has anybody else gotten a text like this?.

Actually sounds ok, try the link and then let us know what happens :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Yep I got one too claiming to be from Sony. So did other family members

I just deleted it once I read it.

Seems to be going about on the 02 network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Boombastic wrote: »
    It's a boat.
    the boats a boat, but the Mystery Box could be anything, like a boat!
    You know how much we wanted a boat,we'll take the Mystery Box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Any meals or blow jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've won so many ipads this way. I have so many now I use them as placemats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

This happened to me all the neighbours won a boat except me, I choose the mystery box. Who can resist the call of the mystery box? In the box were tickets to a comedy gig, which I went to. I heckled the comedian and he challenged me to come on stage and try it. I p1ssed myself and fell off the stage.

Just take the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The gift is a free lift on a Russian bulldozer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Just got it myself.
    The sony.ie part of the link intrigued me but I didn't open it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Op, I recommend you burn all your money and then reply to that text.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

I got it too, it is too good to be giving away freebies...in a recession!!! Peek at the link out of curiosity, but thrash or "we can’t find your page..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yes I did and I replied, I did receive a small Sony disc man, but postage and package was 20 quadrillion squid, they emptied all of my families and friends accounts, as I tried to raise the funds for the postage and package, its a lovely red color and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

I had a man pr1ck I was involved with text me for my address to send on something small he had for me - a small gift. How nice and kind and thoughtful, I thought. Some time later, and some excuses, then months later and more excuses galore - it was nothing, but excuses.

Why mess with someone's head like that. Feeling sh1te was an understatement. I was destroyed and my head was melted and I was exhausted and felt like sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I got one from "Apple" even though I've never purchased or owned one of their products.

All I had to do was log on with some details etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Salt001 wrote: »

If you click on some of the SMS spam links within the text messsage (are you an O2 network "pay as you go" customer by any chance?), then it is considered an acknowledge that you want to subscribe to some "We charge €2/€5 per text message" type of service.

If you end up getting scammed by this, the fastest way to stop it and get your money back is to say the phone belongs to someone under 18 who is unable to legally subscribe.

Search for "Zamona" on the Web for an idea of the sort of company that sends these text messages and was fined €200k by regulators.
    They operated out of the digital hub in Dublin city centre for a while and spammed O2 customers.
    Don't expect O2 to do anything to protect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It's a Season Ticket for Anfield, isn't it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Got two of these this week. It's doing the rounds on 3 now.

I do feel like a winner though, so it's been good for my self confidence. And obviously, a great omen for Friday night's Euromillions. Third time lucky and all.

Wahey!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I won €1million in a Blackberry Lottery once! Amazingly, I didn't even have a Blackberry! And even more amazingly, there were 30 other winners whose phone numbers were within one digit of mine! What are the chances, eh? :pac:

Ignore it, OP, you can't win something you never entered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

But it's a free Sony! Free! You'd have to be an idiot not to click the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I got one from "Apple" even though I've never purchased or owned one of their products.

All I had to do was log on with some details etc. etc.

+ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Lars1916 wrote: »
    It's a Season Ticket for Anfield, isn't it? ;)

Andy Carrol won one of them,king Kenny ended up getting scammed out of £35,000,000 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

phasers wrote: »
    I've won so many ipads this way. I have so many now I use them as placemats.

Jesus, There's an app for everything!

Advertisement