Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for smooth clear skin

• 04-09-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Does anybody know any creams or good homemade recipes that is good and healthy for your skin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Vitamins a+e are good for the general well being of your skin. IMO many factors must be taken into consideration when trying to achieve smooth clear skin.

1. Drink enough water. Something like 2% of the recommended daily intake reaches your skin. Even less if you drink less than 2 ltrs obviously, and less again if you are drinking a lot of coffee or alcohol.

2. Get your 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day. You are what you eat and if you're not getting the nutrients you need it will show on your skin.

3. If you're a smoker, this is going to show on your skin. Generally with pre-mature aging especially around the mouth.

4. Being in constant artifical temp's such as air con or having the heating blasting is bad for your skin.

5. Rememeber if you are having breakouts on the chin area, its generally hormonal and you might want to look into reasons that may be coming from.

6. Skincare and lotions and potions are different for every skin type. What might be absolutely fantastic on dry skin would be awful on say oily congested skin. So, with that in mind - find products that are suitable for your skin.

7. You should cleanse and tone, and use a moisturiser and SPF. If at all possible, avoid face wipes. Exfoliate using an exfoliator suited to your skin, once to twice a week.

You can make up biological masks at home using ingredients that you will probably find in your fridge.

Avocado would be good for dry, dehydrated skin.
    Egg Yolk is good for dry skin.
    Egg white is good for oily skin.
    Natural yogurt is good for oily skin and reducing pore size.
    Lemon can be used also, however I would be wary of it as its pretty acidic (obviously). Its good for drying out the oils in the skin however, and because it has a bleaching effect on the skin, it would be good for anybody with pigmentation problems.

I'm sure if you google biological facemasks, you will get a better idea on how to mix them, but thats just a general idea of the properties of the ingredients that might suit you.

Sorry for the long winded post, but its just products won't give you smooth clear skin, Im afraid.

Edited to add a link.
    http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/facemasks.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Remove cleanser with a face cloth but use cotton wool around the eyes.

Touch skin as little as possible.

Always protect skin with a broad spectrum SPF (UVA and UVB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

When I avoid alcohol, drink lots of water and exercise regularly my skin is completely clear and glowing, and the skin all over my body gets much smoother and softer. I use moisturiser with a good SPF as well and that's basically it for my skincare regime. I reckon skin care is 90% what goes in and 10% what goes on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Twinwolf

All of the nutritional advice by xQueen is spot on. Its alot to do with diet. I love my skincare products so will share what I like:

The best homemade (or shop bought for that matter) face mask I've ever found is this: Turmeric & Honey (I use manuka honey). You can mix just these two so you have a quite goopy paste. But I also add some olive oil or castor oil or, at the moment I am using cod liver oil capsules emptied into the mix, and also coenzyme q10 - just burst a few capsules in. I leave it on anywhere from 20minutes to an hour depending on what i'm doing. The only thing for this mask is be wary, anything it touches, face cloth & towels should be non precious ones, keep away from your clothes & it might stain your pillow. The turmeric will not stain your skin, wash it all off with water - your face will be a good yellow after this, but then use lots of face-wash until it comes off, then use really good moisturizer. Sometimes I give a good massage with olive or coconut oil - Seriously the best mask ever. You can also just use honey on its own.

For clear skin I've used the following products:

Retin A - you need a prescription for this but its amazing after your skin gets used to it, I think they prescribe it for acne, but its one of the top anti-ageing products aswell

Vitamin C homemade: I buy vit c L ascorbic acid on the internet, its just crystals that you add water to and you have a fresh batch of vitamin c every 2 weeks as the vit c expires in products and does not have a long shelf life. And its important to put on at night and wear a high factor the next day as its photosensitive.

Jan Marini Bioglycolic face wash - this is another chemical exfolient I love, I use this at the end of the day, and use a really good nutritious cream after as its absorbed alot more.

Neostrata Face Smoothing Cream - I've actually just used this. I bought it a while ago and tried it one night - it does not have a nice smell, it smells extremely full of chemicals so I only used it once. But I decided to give it a full two weeks (thats all you need to use it for) and I stuck with it and the results are amazing, I can feel the difference in my skin & its alot brighter

Now, all of the above products are quite strong products so I would recommend you do your research about them if you were going to try any. And I would never use them at the same time, I took a break from the retin a, and a week later used my jan marini for a week or two and then went onto the neostrata, which also contains glycolic acid.

My skin has gotten over dry sometimes, so then I use Cetaphil face wash and lotion - its really lovely.

I also love dermalogica microdermabrasion - All of the above products are chemical exfolients, so it just serves to gently slough away dead skin.

I also use a vitamin e cream, a vitamin k cream, and a huylauronic acid serum...... I havn't used it but the new oil of olay range, I think its called regenerist?? Its in the red bottles anyway, they are putting huylauronic acid in these and its got great reviews.

Ok, I've thrown out a million products there, but these are the ones that I've used and would recommend to everyone (provided you do your research on the chemical ones)

I've also found, if you have a day in the house where you don't need to go out, drink a tonne of water, and hot water, and gently steam your face 2 - 3 times, and you will see the effect the next day!! I sometimes use castor oil on my skin, just a small bit, and then steam & wash off, it gives a really deep clean... Hope some of this was helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MOR66

1) Avoid sugary\fizzy drinks for an alternitive of water.Ideally 3 litres or more daily.This cleanes internally and externally!
    2) Sleep with your hair UP! Sweat from your hair will go on your face.
    3)Wash your hands after handling anything which could block your pores when you touch your face.
    4)Sleep 8 hours or more.
    5)Remove stress in your life and enroll in relaxiation techniques.
    6)Exfoliate and mouisterize.
    7)Use toothpaste on the odd spot,as it dries them out.
    8)Dont sleep with makeup on.Avoid oil based foundations.

Personal appearence is important,so good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I have oily, acne-prone skin and I find it clears right up if I seldom wear make-up. Wearing heavy foundation all day everyday just clogs my pores, so I'd recommend wearing light or even no make up if you can manage it. However it's a vicious cycle for me, the more make up I wear, the worse my skin gets...so I wear more make up :o

Stress wrecks my skin too. Reducing stress is easier said than done, but it does help!

Also, +1 on not using face wipes. I've really noticed an improvement in my skin since I started cleansing my skin properly at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

edelmarie wrote: »
    post snipped, quoting spam- Twee.

Is she a beautician or dermatologist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Be extremely wary of people recommending people when they are on their first post!

Try the OCM method. Google is your friend. SPF 20+ every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Indo404

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/beauty-blog/spermine-facials
    Think of me as the guinea pig who tries out all the crazy trends-going to The Hustler Club with my boyfriend, giving up texting for seven days, getting Vajazzled. I've done some wacky stuff, but last week was my wildest challenge yet...

Yes, I got a sperm facial. No, I'm not talking about that. It's not a euphemism. I actually got a sperm facial. Literally. Here's the deal: Spermine is one of the, uh, ingredients in sperm and it's super high in anti-oxidants. It's supposed to slow down aging and people say it helps with acne. Some lab figured out how to synthesize the stuff (that means they're not real swimmers, but rather are factory made.) And now spermine facials are big in Europe-oh those wild Euros-and they're gaining popularity in the U.S.

I got one at the swanky Townhouse Spa in New York City. (The going rate of a sperm facial? $250 And-oh my god-if one more guy says, “I woulda given you a sperm facial for free!” I just might scream.) The whole thing was surprisingly normal. Had I not known what was being applied to my face, it would have felt like any other facial. It lasted just over an hour, but the spermine was on me for only 10 minutes.

My skin felt very smooth and moisturized immediately. And a few days later I noticed it was clearer. And if nothing else, at least I have a great addition for when my friends and I playing “Never have I ever…”

Advertisement