Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Button batteries sold in chemist's & jewellers.

• 04-09-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking for a standard button battery for a cycle computer, the pound shop would normally do a card full of them with various shapes and sizes for e1.50 to e2.

The were out of stock, went to two Jewellers e6 and e7 each. :eek:

And that was without fitting.

Ill do without my cycle computer few days on principal. :)

There must be some mark up on these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Working in the Electrical trade I will say this.

€6.00 is over the top but my advice is to stay well clear of the cheap ones. Most are not up to European standards but more importantly they have a tendency to leak or overhaet and destroy products they are used in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bigjohn66 wrote: »

€6.00 is over the top but my advice is to stay well clear of the cheap ones. Most are not up to European standards but more importantly they have a tendency to leak or overhaet and destroy products they are used in.

Ended up getting Duracell on Ebay from an Irish source.

e5 for two inclusive of delivery.

Worth a two day wait. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the pound shop would normally do a card full of them with various shapes and sizes for e1.50 to e2.

Most of those are useless for the things most people want them for. Cr 2016, 2025 , 2032 etc are never in those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most of those are useless for the things most people want them for. Cr 2016, 2025 , 2032 etc are never in those.

CR1620 was the one I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

IKEA do a good range of those type of batteries in multipacks. Have forked out €5 - 6 before for batteries for my cycle computer and weighing scales but have found the Ikea ones great for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've never experienced any problems with any of the cheap ones that I've bought over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I use the cheapo ones in my bathroom scales and they have never caused any problems. Except that the scales has been off by 5lbs for ages now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I use the cheapo ones in my bathroom scales and they have never caused any problems. Except that the scales has been off by 5lbs for ages now :rolleyes:

You should take off the wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

That seems to be a recurring problem with scales:D

As to batteries - jewellers will charge high price cos they don't want the hassle of €2 sales especially as you can get these batteries in Tesco.

But just like any other size battery, there's a lot of cheap crap out there, so I'd stick with a reputable brand name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sandin wrote: »
    there's a lot of cheap crap out there
    And a lot of expensive crap too! just because a jeweller is charging a fortune is no indication that it is good quality. So stick to the reputable brand as you say.

I have never had leaks in any cheaper ones I got.

Jewellers probably apply the same ludicrous margins to this product as others. I get 5 bars for €2 in the 2euro shops, if a jeweller sold chocolate bars I would expect to pay €2 a pop!

5x CR1620 for $2 incl delivery here
    http://dx.com/p/cr1620-cell-button-batteries-5-pack-tray-3355?item=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was looking for a standard button battery for a cycle computer, the pound shop would normally do a card full of them with various shapes and sizes for e1.50 to e2.

The were out of stock, went to two Jewellers e6 and e7 each. :eek:

And that was without fitting.

Ill do without my cycle computer few days on principal. :)

There must be some mark up on these things.

Its some kind of conspiracy with them jewellers!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

well, thanks for much info on a subject that does cost me money for oddments i use
    pound shop - good idea, i can get to one of those sometimes
    tesco - good 1.1/2 hours away
    ikea - sore point with me - i rang up for catalogue to be sent few months after opening, give them a chance to get through initial mad rush that was being reported and, i was informed - very politely and pleasantly by a young man - that they were already so busy they didn't need my business i.e. that of people 'down south'
    i was really annoyed - if business is thriving then open another one 'down south' then and do not turn us away UNWELCOME
    dublin is not ireland
    we have different tastes that could be catered for, we shop and we would like jobs too ikea - think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

8 euro a pop in jewellers in my town:rolleyes:

Advertisement