Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Stopped working due to cutting wet grass! Help !

Options
  • 04-09-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone know how to go about fixing a lawnmower that has stopped working due to cutting wet grass ( electric cable lawnmower).
    I have no idea where to start .
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

un plug it. turn upside down and the chute is prob blocked, also check there isnt old dried grass stuck to the sides and above the blade as this prevents an even flow of grass into the box. let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wet grass is a lot heavier than the dry stuff and as such it won't get thrown into the bag as dry grass would. Most lawnmowers rely on the 'draft' from the spinning blades to fire the cuttings into the collection bag. If the grass is wet then it won't make it. Additionally, the wet grass sticks to the deck of the mower which further aggravates the problem.

My mower (petrol) suffers from this with wet grass. If the grass is wet I cut on a high setting and leave it for an hour or two and then cut it on the normal height setting.

This 'summer' has been a pain in the hole for cutting grass regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Could you have burnt the motor out? If the grass was really heavy and the mower was really struggling to get the blade through the grass, this might have happened.

Does your mower have a collector? How old is it?

Would definitely have a look to see if anything is wrapped around the blade shaft - maybe a piece of plastic, wire or anything like that. (make sure it's unplugged, make sure it's unpluggged, make sure it's unplugged)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The landlord left us with a crappy electric mower and this happens a lot. So every few metres I turn the thing on its side and poke out all the wet lumps of grass with a stick. Gave up using the collector box as teh chute got too gunked up. Can't do anything useful like raise the blade on the mower, so you're kinda stuck repeatedly unsticking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

I would be very careful with electric mowers.
    I knew someonre who was mowing the (wet) lawn in his bare feet.The cable pulled out of the mower and fell into his open hand.

The hand closed upon the live plug and he had use his other hand to to pull it out of his clenched fist (it took about 45 seconds!).

I do hope that modern lawn mowers don't allow this accident to happen any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hanker

Thanks to all your replies
    But the problm was actually in the cord.
    the wire had cut before and it fixed it but it turns out one piece of it had gotten loose and prevented electricity from passing thorugh.
    Glad it wasnt the grass though. Dread buying a new lawnmower

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Go and buy a new cable before you fry yourself!!

Advertisement